Hellfest 2024

Archi

Can anyone comment on the experience at Hellfest? I've generally gone to Rock Werchter, but would like to spend a little more time in France than Belgium next year. If you've been to both festivals (camping especially) that would be helpful information, but really any wisdom is appreciated. 

28 minutes ago, Floyd_Ams said:

At some point between now and the end of the year 🙃...

If it helps, last year the full lineup was announced on 15/12. I would expect it in December this year also. 

😐 

Thanks for that. Have a ticket so really waiting to see the whole lineup before organising travel.

19 minutes ago, C_Elrik said:

😐

Thanks for that. Have a ticket so really waiting to see the whole lineup before organising travel.

Ah no worries...One of the few festivals with a guaranteed awesome lineup always! Any Metal/Hard rock band that is available and touring (in EU) will probably be there.

Edited by Floyd_Ams

21 hours ago, Floyd_Ams said:

Ah no worries...One of the few festivals with a guaranteed awesome lineup always! Any Metal/Hard rock band that is available and touring (in EU) will probably be there.

Line up is packed every year. Already accepted Metallica over two night which I'd prefer not to happen since I already seen it at Download this year but with who else is touring next year, I'm still optimistic on it being a great 4 days.

• 2 weeks later...

Still some surprises: never thought Simple Plan would play at Hellfest... Interesting to see both Main Stages on Sunday aren't really heavy. This trio FF/QOTSA/RB is sick. The second Main Stage with many pop-punk/punk-rock bands is really nice too! Finally The Prodigy are playing there. Metallica again. Glad to see they give Bad Omens such an high spot. Decent line-up!

406027757_923038865852040_6353983602948116815_n.jpg

Edited by Archi
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

50 minutes ago, Nicklord said:

I don't know what Machine Head did in the last 10 years to be considered headliners at major metal festivals and at this point I'm too afraid to ask 

They put in the hard work required to maintain a large loyal fanbase. Did multiple tours with 3 hour shows all across Europe then did a arena tour across Europe with Amon Amarth.  Also the album they released last year (Of Kingdom and Crown) is fantastic and one of their best. What have AX7 done? Nothing since 2018 except an album that splits opinions. 

Edited by Spiral_Low

Machine Head really is probably the strangest example out there at the moment. The band is way way less popular now than 10-15 years ago, and they are headliners everywhere now, same fests they used top play 5pm slots. I guess its a thing of no new bands at metal fests, so they have to make up some headliners now. But with Machine Head its just weird.

9 minutes ago, Spiral_Low said:

They put in the hard work required to maintain a large loyal fanbase. Did multiple tours with 3 hour shows all across Europe then did a stadium tour across Europe with Amon Amarth.  Also the album they released last year (Of Kingdom and Crown) is fantastic and one of their best. What have AX7 done? Nothing since 2018 except an album that splits opinions. 

They didn't do stadiums, they did small arenas as a coheadline with Amon Amarth. And Amon Amarth wouldn't be anywhere close to headlining - they are usually doing afternoon slots. They also did those 3 hour shows in clubs usually, I know because I saw them in a not sold out club with around 500 people in 2015

And I'm not judging the quality, I just don't get why are they so high

Edited by Nicklord

6 minutes ago, Nicklord said:

They didn't do stadiums, they did small arenas as a coheadline with Amon Amarth. And Amon Amarth wouldn't be anywhere close to headlining - they are usually doing afternoon slots. They also did those 3 hour shows in clubs usually, I know because I saw them in a not sold out club with around 500 people in 2015

And I'm not judging the quality, I just don't get why are they so high

Apologies meant to say arenas, have edited. And Amon Amarth are headlining Wacken and many of the mid size festivals btw including Bloodstock. Where did you see them in 2015? 

Edited by Spiral_Low

1 hour ago, Nicklord said:

I don't know what Machine Head did in the last 10 years to be considered headliners at major metal festivals and at this point I'm too afraid to ask 

Its probably more of a case of Metallica and Foo Fighters costing a fortune so need a cheaper headliner to balance it out.

Edited by FrogLobster
  • Upvote 1

The Hellfest had some "cheap" headliners in the past like Deftones in 2022. Or Deep Purple in 2017 when they booked Aerosmith + Linkin Park. About Machine Head, they also count on the fact they haven't played any festivals during 10 years. And I guess the exclu EU at Graspop this Summer was a success.

With this year, I feel Hellfest is on the way to look like heavy festivals from the US where you can more easely see rock headliners next to metal bands. With MetallicaThe ProdigyFoo FightersQueens Of The Stone AgeRoyal Blood, Avenged SevenfoldMachine Head in the headliners... and see lot of more underground/less mainstream acts. Last year, they did a duo Sum41/MGK. What about Red Hot Chili Peppers on their next EU tour?

On 11/28/2023 at 10:42 AM, FrogLobster said:

Its probably more of a case of Metallica and Foo Fighters costing a fortune so need a cheaper headliner to balance it out.

No doubt Machine Head would have been significantly cheaper than those two. But still, them and The Prodigy are by far the two biggest bands playing on their day, so regardless of cost those two would still headline above all the others. 

• 2 months later...