Capacity must have increased significantly

just7

8 minutes ago, just7 said:

The main arena was a lot busier than normal, queues longer for beers & loos.

it looks to me like they’ve upped capacity significantly without adding to the infrastructure 

Agree - queues in camping fields for loos were always longer even when all loos were working OK (which was most of the time), camping fields apart from arena full by 9am Friday with loads of people trying to find somewhere to pitch.

As for arena - everywhere looked and felt so so much busier.

I think John Robb threw around the figure 20,000 a few times when introducing acts but that could just be an estimate/rounding and sound's better and easier then saying 17,500.

It was my first year but certinly seemed busy enough especially the main arena.

6 hours ago, just7 said:

The main arena was a lot busier than normal, queues longer for beers & loos.

it looks to me like they’ve upped capacity significantly without adding to the infrastructure 

We thought exactly the same. The main stage seemed heaving every day from mid afternoon and the toilet queues were terrible at times

Massively enjoyed Skindred, Johnny Marr, Jess Silk, Beans On Toast and Samantics. Rest of the music we saw was OK but felt like seen most of it to death over the years.

Beer prices were very reasonable...cheaper than our work local. 

Crowd were generally lovely...saw a few more p*ssed up idiots and toilet queue jumpers than normal though. 

They definitely need to do something to stop the kids climbing that tree to the rear of the main stage...there were what looked like 6 and 7 year olds climbing right to the top. 

Overall had a great weekend but not sure we will be in a rush to get back (shame as we currently drive up from Brum which is a good few hours and looking to move to Sidmouth which is just down the road!). Dunno why...just felt slightly different this year. 

Capacity has been the same since 2019, I didn't think it felt any busier than normal, in fact less so for the levellers.

Less toilets than normal, however it you just walk onto the next set you could find some without a large queue. At least they were nice and clean.

Lots of festivals have not happened this year with rising costs, I presume cost is the only reason for less of them. Overall Ithink they have done a great job this year.

• Like 1

The toilets were a total pain - my husband stopped drinking halfway through Sunday purely because he couldn't be arsed to constantly stand in a toilet queue. It's not good enough - I feel like I spent way too much of my festival in a bar or toilet queue. I didn't queue for the loo once at Glasto this year. 

23 hours ago, Dales said:

I think John Robb threw around the figure 20,000 a few times when introducing acts but that could just be an estimate/rounding and sound's better and easier then saying 17,500.

It was my first year but certinly seemed busy enough especially the main arena.

I saw 17K posted somewhere else.

I really didn't think the queues were that bad. Yes there could have been more loos but I think the longest I waited was around 10 mins.

Only time I had to queue at a bar was Thursday night at the Bimble Inn, the rest of the time was a few mins at worst but mostly straight to the bar. Caveat being I don't drink a lot so may have just lucked out. 

7 hours ago, GNR said:

Capacity was

13,500 in 2011

15,000 in 2014

17,500 in 2015 

And has been the same since 

Interesting. I'm wondering if extras got in then because there was no stewards on our entrance most nights and the ones down by the info point weren't as keen on shouting "wristbands in the air" as usual.

3 minutes ago, WS_Jack_III said:

Interesting. I'm wondering if extras got in then because there was no stewards on our entrance most nights and the ones down by the info point weren't as keen on shouting "wristbands in the air" as usual.

I got my wristband checked at the bridge more this year than ever before 

1 hour ago, GNR said:

I got my wristband checked at the bridge more this year than ever before 

49 minutes ago, WS_Jack_III said:

Totally opposite for me, every time I came through the two stewards were just chatting, think maybe once I got the usual request.

We were asked to raise arms just once this year.

I did notice loads of 'back stage' wristbands - they are probably always there but these were bright yellow so easy to spot and there were lots of them.

17 minutes ago, Nobody Interesting said:

We were asked to raise arms just once this year.

I did notice loads of 'back stage' wristbands - they are probably always there but these were bright yellow so easy to spot and there were lots of them.

Yeh all crew and performers had the yellow backstage one. I worked the festival a few times 2013-2016, it's still the same system 

• 4 weeks later...
On 8/23/2023 at 7:03 PM, GNR said:

Yeh all crew and performers had the yellow backstage one. I worked the festival a few times 2013-2016, it's still the same system 

"Back stage" wristbands extend beyond crew and performers.

For example we do the program design and layout, 3 of us involved, we get 6 bands. This is probably replicated with others.