Sziget Festival 2024

#1SzigetFan

1 minute ago, Number1KylieFan said:

Time for some people here to touch the grass and realise that not everyone has the same music taste as them. Sziget is a business, not your personal music festival. 

This account/post reeks of someone that works for Sziget 😅

• Upvote 1

I'm 30, I don't have many years left in the festival-age, but instead of thinking about a future dilemma between Sziget tickets and family time I now feel it's going to be something like a natural selection. This lineup feels like brexit, because it makes me feel like I'm not wanted somewhere anymore. It's not even about the line up itself, but the decisions that were probably made during the booking process. It seems proven that Placebo, Rise Against, Two Door Cinema Club and The Offspring were all available, and I'm sure would've been booked 6-7 years ago, but this feels like a different age now, a different direction, and who knows where it takes us in the next few years. I'm still going - as long as my 2-3 friends are going I'm going with them -, we're going to have a fun time, but now, this year, I can see how I'll might feel totally alienated from this festival in the future.

5 minutes ago, Number1KylieFan said:

Time for some people here to touch the grass and realise that not everyone has the same music taste as them. Sziget is a business, not your personal music festival. 

Well numbers will they, won’t they? We heard rumours that last year there were 30% less campers than in the previous year. And without the rumours it was visible that the basic camping was nowhere as packed as before, for example the field next to the slides was almost empty. So yeah, Sziget is a business which seems to struggle to attract acts that’d supposed to attract visitors. How will that help the business?

14 minutes ago, Lambert said:

This account/post reeks of someone that works for Sziget 😅

Haha I wish. More like a lurker who has read hundreds of names of artists I have never heard of in this thread - who is actually happy with the electronic music on offer (not Fisher).

I feel like Sziget needed to do something to get older people onto the island, and that’s what Kylie feels like. Hopefully as it’s the end of a summer run her show will be nailed down and good. But let’s just say my username is definitely tongue in cheek. 

Regarding the rest of the line up not being to the taste of many on this forum. The times are changing. Many of us, and I include myself, are probably not the core demographic that Sziget are targeting in the coming years. The people who attended during the 10s are growing older and the baton is being passed to a younger generation, many of whom have never heard of Blur, No Doubt or QOTSA etc. It’s extra jarring because COVID took two years of Sziget. I wonder if they are struggling to recover. Maybe a shorter festival is on the horizon. 

If this is your last Sziget because the line up is sh*t. Recognise that a good thing is coming to an end. Let it flow through you. Just enjoy your last time on the island. Life comes fast. 

Sziget has always been for younger generations, never really seen it as a multi-generation festival like Glasto. Show this line-up to 20 year olds and see what they think (I don't know the answer). That's the age I first went to Sziget and I loved the line-up. I guess I'm just getting old. 

I love Kylie tho - but that makes sense considering my age. 

But what am I going to do if I stop going to Sziget? There's really no other festival besides Sziget and Glasto in terms of festival atmosphere and non-music activities.. but essentially music is my driving factor, i can't be without music. Bummer. 

5 minutes ago, Number1KylieFan said:

Haha I wish. More like a lurker who has read hundreds of names of artists I have never heard of in this thread - who is actually happy with the electronic music on offer (not Fisher).

I feel like Sziget needed to do something to get older people onto the island, and that’s what Kylie feels like. Hopefully as it’s the end of a summer run her show will be nailed down and good. But let’s just say my username is definitely tongue in cheek. 

Regarding the rest of the line up not being to the taste of many on this forum. The times are changing. Many of us, and I include myself, are probably not the core demographic that Sziget are targeting in the coming years. The people who attended during the 10s are growing older and the baton is being passed to a younger generation, many of whom have never heard of Blur, No Doubt or QOTSA etc. It’s extra jarring because COVID took two years of Sziget. I wonder if they are struggling to recover. Maybe a shorter festival is on the horizon. 

If this is your last Sziget because the line up is sh*t. Recognise that a good thing is coming to an end. Let it flow through you. Just enjoy your last time on the island. Life comes fast. 

I understand where you are coming from, but let me assure you, that this lineup WILL NOT be a commercial success. Just look at ticketswap. Right now you can buy a 6-day pass more than 30 percent under the current official price. ATM there are nearly 500 6 day passes selling. What would you say how many people are buying new tickets right now and after seeing the line up?

This generation thing is a bullshit. Young people can and do love "old" music, it just have to be good music.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, eyebrain said:

Sziget has always been for younger generations, never really seen it as a multi-generation festival like Glasto. Show this line-up to 20 year olds and see what they think (I don't know the answer). That's the age I first went to Sziget and I loved the line-up. I guess I'm just getting old. 

But what am I going to do if I stop going to Sziget? There's really no other festival besides Sziget and Glasto in terms of festival atmosphere and non-music activities.. but essentially music is my driving factor, i can't be without music. Bummer. 

Exactly my thoughts. Just feels so jarring because the transition skipped the COVID years. 

Just now, ketomika22 said:

I understand where you are coming from, but let me assure you, that this lineup WILL NOT be a commercial success. Just look at ticketswap. Right now you can buy a 6-day pass more than 30 percent under the current official price. ATM there are nearly 500 6 day passes selling. What would you say how many people are buying new tickets right now and after seeing the line up?

This generation thing is a bullshit. Young people can and do love "old" music, it just have to be good music.

Totally agree that young people can love old music. But not all older people love newer music. And as one of the latter, I have to admit to myself that maybe this is the last dance at Sziget. 

Unpopular opinion. I'm old and I love Kylie, she's a national treasure. Can't wait to see her at Sziget. 

But, I would still have preferred The Killers, No Doubt, RHCP, Maneskin, even Catfish and the Bottlemen.

Because live music is all about music being played live, by musicians who laboured for months to write the perfect song and are now getting the chance to share it with thousands of people, who are in awe of the skill and ability on display that they don't possess themselves.

There are JUST enough acts announced across all stages to ensure I'll have a pretty decent Sziget. But it is absolutely the last time I buy tickets without seeing the line-up first.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 3

My sister’s 21, let’s say the “target audience” for sziget. She doesn’t know half of these names except for some dj’s. Her friends and her are making fun of me for travelling all the way to budapest for such a sh*tty lineup.

So no. It’s not an age thing. It’s just a sh*tty lineup.

2018 was an example of a good lineup for that audience. With big names like kendrick lamar, dua lipa, shawn mendes, arctic monkeys etc etc. 

According to the press conference Fred, Skrillex and Four Tet specifically requested to play on the same day.

They also plan to do something about the food prices and the drink prices will stay the same.

From the press conference:

• Organizers want the food to be cheaper, the drinks to stay on the same price as last year. Real alternatives for “budget food” instead of chips+sauce.
  • There will be shuttle buses to Margaret Bridge after the headliner
  • Changes in the main stage area: the huge area "will be split into two smaller sides", so you can "see more from the back" (idk how). There will be a “fan pit” in the front, and instead of one huge tower in the middle there will be two smaller ones on the sides.
  • H-bridge will be open for exit on busy times
  • Hungarians bought most of the early bird tickets, for the first time in the last couple of years.

59 minutes ago, eyebrain said:

I’m 23 and I think the line up is awful.

last year, however, I thought was decent. Imagine dragons, girl in red, lorde, Florence & machine, Billie eilish were all ‘big’ appealing names to me. This year I would struggle to want to see any of the headliners apart from Martin Garrix. 

13 minutes ago, kristofm said:

From the press conference:

• Changes in the main stage area: the huge area "will be split into two smaller sides", so you can "see more from the back" (idk how). There will be a “fan pit” in the front, and instead of one huge tower in the middle there will be two smaller ones on the sides.

Sounds like something similar to this: image.thumb.png.a80039183e695d4b5e3d1253ef117937.png

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, CCester said:

According to the press conference Fred, Skrillex and Four Tet specifically requested to play on the same day.

They also plan to do something about the food prices and the drink prices will stay the same.

Why, WHY???