Sziget Festival 2024

#1SzigetFan

13 minutes ago, Newjem said:

"Oh no. There are 300 people selling their tickets and we already have their money in our pockets 😱"

well, if you look at it short term, sure..

but, long term, those are also people that will not come on the following years or will not be buying early bird tickets any more. That they will notice, early bird sales plummeting next year, which is definitely not good for a festival as they need to book artists for that year.

And those are just the ones that are selling in the app currently.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, kristofm said:

It's so weird that we only know half of the line up and people started to sell their tickets.

Do they even know that this is only the half of it?

on a regular year, the big names are in the first annocment.

with the other names around (adele, ed, coldplay) i need to decide where to put my money and sziget isnt promising so far.

• Upvote 1

Given the festival's international status and market, it tactically makes sense to place your strongest names in the first announcement, as has historically been the case, with supporting/boosting names in the following 2 announcements to supplement the first wave.

Given the festival attracts an international market ( see announcement of Goldband for people in the BENALUX) - the marketing team is going to want to announce the strongest names as early as possible, to prevent people booking their summer festivals elsewhere. Most internationals aren't booking a trip to Budapest last minute- this will be planned months in advance.

Of course, wildcard names are always possible but I would put my bets saying that we have received the strongest names of this year's edition already. It isn't a surprise people are looking to sell and go elsewhere when the first announcement is potentially one of the worst they've ever announced.

A rock headliner will still be added, probably a female headliner (or at least strong female name such as Raye), but I wouldn't expect anything groundbreaking moving forwards at this point.

They also regularly throw in Macklemore at the last minute too to try and boost ticket sales.

21 minutes ago, dude111 said:

with the other names around (adele, ed, coldplay) i need to decide where to put my money and sziget isnt promising so far.

I mean, if you want to go to one or two great concerts, that's probably a reasonable thing to do, pick your own shows and travel. 

I think a festival is about something else, not really about the headliners. I understand that people want big names, and I know this is not a popular opinion, but I'm the total opposite. I love undercards, small bands, talents from all around the world, and most of the headline concerts left a bit of a bitter taste because of the huge crowd. My girlfriend is a Billie Eilish fan, didn't see sh*t but the screens even though she stood there all day. People collapsing, etc. She's also a fan of Ed Sheeran, didn't even turn up back then because of the same reason. I really like Arctic Monkeys, drunk assholes who didn't know the band started fighting and punching strangers - both times. Blink was a real shitshow 10 years ago, many injured. Couldn't breathe when we saw Dua Lipa and not because of the right reasons, but because there was no air - again, going to the back, looking at the screen. My favourite band is Green Day, and I'll go to see them anywhere in Europe where I can, but I really hope they're not going to Sziget because headline gigs are nightmares for me. So the last thing I personally care about are headliners.

Edited by kristofm

1 hour ago, kristofm said:

It's so weird that we only know half of the line up and people started to sell their tickets.

Do they even know that this is only the half of it?

To be honest, out of the major festivals it is very weak. The headliners are weak, so is the undercard. Sziget will always be my fave festival, but there comes a time when Sziget must realise people are not just going to come for the experience and Budapest.

Its certainly not a £300 festival this year. 

Financially the festival must be struggling, plenty around the scene this summer especially under cards.

Edited by thetime

2 hours ago, dude111 said:

I'll save you time: Adele and Coldplay won't play any European festival, if it's not Glastonbury or some special event like Global Citizen

2 hours ago, FestivalJamie said:

Given the festival's international status and market, it tactically makes sense to place your strongest names in the first announcement, as has historically been the case, with supporting/boosting names in the following 2 announcements to supplement the first wave.

Given the festival attracts an international market ( see announcement of Goldband for people in the BENALUX) - the marketing team is going to want to announce the strongest names as early as possible, to prevent people booking their summer festivals elsewhere. Most internationals aren't booking a trip to Budapest last minute- this will be planned months in advance.

Of course, wildcard names are always possible but I would put my bets saying that we have received the strongest names of this year's edition already. It isn't a surprise people are looking to sell and go elsewhere when the first announcement is potentially one of the worst they've ever announced.

A rock headliner will still be added, probably a female headliner (or at least strong female name such as Raye), but I wouldn't expect anything groundbreaking moving forwards at this point.

They also regularly throw in Macklemore at the last minute too to try and boost ticket sales.

I think the thing is, while they may have sold a lot of pre-announcement tickets, the key factor is how many they've sold in the two months since the first announcement dropped.

If, as we expect, sales dried up, then they need to make a decision on how announcement two looks. 

Do they add bigger and better names, and spend more doing so, to up sales figures. Or, do they deliver another average announcement knowing sales are unlikely to massively improve as the first announcement was so 'meh'.

Now, my feeling is that the second announcement will be a marked improvement over the first. This is for a number of reasons:

- to keep sponsors happy

- to keep food and drink vendors happy

- to keep agents and talent management people happy

- to maintain the integrity of the festival

I may be wrong, but if announcement two is underwhelming, then all of the goodwill the festival has built in its 30 year history will start to erode.

31 minutes ago, aaalive said:

I'll save you time: Adele and Coldplay won't play any European festival, if it's not Glastonbury or some special event like Global Citizen

sure not.

but a lot of other names will.

give me some good names (headliners or under) if you want to sell tickets

11 minutes ago, dude111 said:

sure not.

but a lot of other names will.

give me some good names (headliners or under) if you want to sell tickets

Unless they pay someone 'wow' money to play a one-off festival date then I think it's doubtful we'll get a big name headliner - they doesn't seem to be anyone around in August of signifant size. It's likely we'll get Lana or Maneskin or QOTSA, not The Killers etc.

The REAL opportunity is to bulk up the undercard with acts like Raye, The Smile, Massive Attack, Biffy Clyro, Jorja Smith, The Prodigy, Two Door Cinema Club, Sampha, The Kills, Wet Leg, Editors, The Last Dinner Party etc etc. ALL of these are around in August and 'all' of them are known by music fans of all ages.

Edited by billybigballs

On 2/4/2024 at 8:50 PM, Tom Lobo said:

Me & my Brother have been to Sziget every year the last 12 years except 2023.

The lineup sucked more & more every year.

Therefore we try INMUSIC this year to change our way & we add Werchter.

If Sziget can't fullfil my expectations, I have to let Sziget go. And I think that many fans have this in their heads.

We have tickets already and we will have fun with our friends and other people we will meet. But...I love music...and this is my biggest reason to go to Budapest.

They canceled a lot of good stages over the years and now they have the situation that we see 2024.

I wish all of us good luck...

• Upvote 1

I would say Lana is definitely the likeliest name as she's at Reading and they often share headliners with Sziget. I would expect Raye in the undercard too. For me, the current line up is really lacklustre and having Becky Hill as one of the higher names is really something which shows how weak it is this year (for an international festival). I think they will bulk it up with some decent undercard but I don't think anyone should expect anything ground-breaking. 

25 minutes ago, iamdebrii said:

This can mean one of two things. Either 1. they have a safe-enough amount of artists to begin teasing second announcement or 2. they're up in the air with regards to bookings and decided to post this instead of another revolut ad. 

IMG_1483.PNG

It needs to be magic too!!

I suspect that Leaks will turn up a few days before, so think we're still at least a week away tbh. 

• Upvote 1

Just now, billybigballs said:

I suspect that Leaks will turn up a few days before, so think we're still at least a week away tbh. 

The Alien emoji gave me a sliver of hope. If the next announcement has a few of Skrillex, Jorja Smith, Two Door Cinema Club, Wombats, Sampha, Bakar and the like (excluding headliners because at this point come what may)

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, SzigetEire said:

AC/DC are touring Europe from May onwards.

Will be at festivalpark stenehei August 9th and Pairs August 13th so possible rock headliner?

... L.O.L ...

18 minutes ago, QuintenH said:

if the hint is skrillex. which line up spot would he get?

it IS Skrillex, no doubt about this. And I honestly don't care where they put him. Same as Alan Walker or Steve Aoki I guess, Party Arena..