Volunteering 2024

Chazwozza

2 hours ago, Derbyphil said:

Hi all. Just had an email from Avalon to do Glastonbury 2024. I do have a couple of questions before I take the plunge and wondered if anyone can help?

1) where abouts is the Avalon campsite?

2) I assume you can drive down and park nearby?

3) I appreciate the shifts will mainly be afternoon/evening but what does a typical shift pattern look like?

4) anything else I need to know?

1) previously always been just outside Gate C. Good location although some people don't like the late-night noise coming from the SE Corner. 

2) it's discouraged. Staff are supposed to arrive on coaches which these days only go from Bristol, so you have to make your way to Bristol then get a coach to the site. Last two years there's been a limited number of car park passes available, but not guaranteed you'll get one especially if you won't car share with other volunteers. 

3) 11am-7pm, 5pm-1am, 7pm-3am. Couple of exceptions where there are some earlier afternoon slots, and Stonebridge which has shifts til 5am. Some people are lucky and get a Wed or Thurs shift, but you should expect a Fri, sat and sun then count yourself lucky if you get one of the earlier days. 

4) I've only done it last two years so can't comment much. Mostly very easy if you're used to spending 8 hours on your feet, very nice to be able to have a daily shower, meals have been provided previously in the staff tent although I haven't always bothered with them (I don't like wasting time at camp, rather be inside the fence). 

• Upvote 3

20 hours ago, StoneCircle said:

Scroll up and read my comments, or in a brief summary - Oxfam bullies people with disabilities to do their shifts or they will cut off their wristbands and they are forced to leave the Oxfield. They couldn't do that to me as I was in Spring Ground Accessible Campsite within the festival. I will happily share their letter of apology that I forced them to make by calling them out. 

OMG

• Upvote 1

35 minutes ago, Derbyphil said:

Thanks for the heads up re Avalon volunteering. Can you still access crew bars etc as a perk of the job?

It varies by bar and sometimes by how busy they are, but most of the ones spoken about on here will accept any non-public wristband as crew. There's an awful lot (too many) different types of wristband out there and it'd be a pain in the arse to try and worry about the specifics.

Some (T+C being famous for this) are more selective and insist on their own crew only, or people they know+like.

On 3/14/2024 at 2:16 PM, StoneCircle said:

All of the issues I have encountered are due to my RA's not being taken into account by whoever did the rota and at Glastonbury made worse by the way I was spoken to by Oxbox when I reached out to change them.

Oxbox also contacted me about an hour before my first shift (also at Glastonbury) asking me to go to the Oxbox to sign in for my shift. I explained I was not in Oxfield, I was in the Accessible Campsite and as my shift was at the Accessible Arrivals Marquee I physically couldn't get there and back in time. Yet again I was spoken to with a complete lack of respect as if I was a naughy school child. 

The supervisors I have worked with have always been supportive. We didn't have one at Glastonbury despite the close proximity to Gate A hence why they wanted me to spend 2 hours signing in due to their oversight.

I would encourage you to let the Charity Commission know about your experiences, if not for you, but for other people, maybe in the same situation or dare I say even more worse off.

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, marathonsteve said:

I would encourage you to let the Charity Commission know about your experiences, if not for you, but for other people, maybe in the same situation or dare I say even more worse off.

It was in 2022 and eventually I got a suitably apologetic response. Due to my appalling treatment I do try and warn people with reasonable adjustment needs that they need to assertive with Oxfam if they are given a role or shift times not agreed to in their reasonable adjustments. And to stand up to the management team and Oxbox staff, some are lovely but some are absolutely despicable. 

17 hours ago, dondo said:

What company is this with? 🙂 Might apply but would rather have a look into them first

9 minutes ago, thewomble said:

What company is this with? 🙂 Might apply but would rather have a look into them first

Don't know to be honest. Just saw it on the Glasto Worker Bees FB page

13 hours ago, thekiwi said:

Anyone knows when they might reopen interest for Avalon bars?

They kept all the unsuccessful people in a waiting list and have been contacting them if people cancel. So they may have enough without reopening. I’m on that waitlist and not heard back. Think deposit refund deadline is the end of March so maybe people could drop out then? 

23 hours ago, StoneCircle said:

It was in 2022 and eventually I got a suitably apologetic response. Due to my appalling treatment I do try and warn people with reasonable adjustment needs that they need to assertive with Oxfam if they are given a role or shift times not agreed to in their reasonable adjustments. And to stand up to the management team and Oxbox staff, some are lovely but some are absolutely despicable. 

I have volunteered with the Company called oxfam twice

9 hours ago, marathonsteve said:

I have volunteered with the Company called oxfam twice

And how was your experience? What about the company called Festaff? Have you ‘volunteered’ with them? 

On 3/17/2024 at 10:03 PM, marathonsteve said:

Just if anyone is reading this, the charity commission investigate serious complaints of harm and illegal activity about a charity. Being spoken to in a sh*tty way and told to sign in to your shift in a field you can't get to are really unlikely to meet that threshold. 

Glad they apologised and I'd agree with what other people have said that sometimes you need some self advocacy to ensure your needs are met. Everyone is a volunteer with different abilities.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Leyrulion said:

Just if anyone is reading this, the charity commission investigate serious complaints of harm and illegal activity about a charity. Being spoken to in a sh*tty way and told to sign in to your shift in a field you can't get to are really unlikely to meet that threshold. 

Glad they apologised and I'd agree with what other people have said that sometimes you need some self advocacy to ensure your needs are met. Everyone is a volunteer with different abilities.

Absolute rubbish . Any one is entitled to  to bring something to them no matter what  . Who are you to say what the Charity Commission investigates. One more Bizarre post

Being spoken to in a sh*tty way !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2 hours ago, Leyrulion said:

What Thresholds  Misinformation

2 hours ago, Leyrulion said:

I wonder if you would be so kind as to post where people can apply to the charity Commission Thanks

4 hours ago, Derbyphil said:

Hi All. 

Does anyone know which bars are run by Avalon?

Can’t remember them all sorry but the main ones are Stonebridge, West Holts bar, Cockmill (acoustic stage) and a few small bars dotted around the site. They don’t do the main stage bars like at Pyramid or the Avalon bar.