Fitness for Glastonbury 2024

gigpusher

Checking in. I found 2019 and 2022 a bit easier physically, cos I’d been training for and completing long distance multi day hiking paths (west highland way and speyside way) a couple of months before those respective Glastonburys, and didn’t have that in my calendar for this year; more walking makes more walking much easier for me. 
will keep up with yoga x 2 a month because that definitely helps, and gives me some stretches which really help as well. Working/stewarding 8hr shifts stood in one place isnt all that easy, I’d prefer to be walking for all of that time instead to be honest! But general fitness clearly makes Glastonburys better and easier, so I have to remember that on December Saturday mornings when it’s grey and I have to self-motivate myself for a little ten miler; get out there and get it done, cos late June me will think grey December me is a very good lad 👍

• Like 1

3 hours ago, GlastoFlow said:

Could anyone recommend any tutorials/plans/websites for an ABSOLUTE beginner who generally wants to improve fitness and strength? No idea where to start

Hard to say without knowing what your goals are. I started (again) in January with wanting to just improve my diet and increase my activity. I basically just started with trying to limit snacking, making meals healthier (typically about 600 calories per meal). I have basically just walked a lot but if you are a bit fitter you could look at something like c25k or if you want overall fitness look but limited time look up some HIT workouts. 

No doubt if you give more information about goals you will get some great advice. 

These look  to be  quite the bargain

https://www.inov-8.com/roclite-g-345-gtx-mens-lightweight-hiking-boot-v1?colours=

I assume  there's a V2 coming out so they are selling off old stock. Never had anything by INOV8 myself but a lot of my friends who take this stuff very seriously rate them. Especially the fell runners and they really put their gear through some sh*t. 

Nice and lightweight, look to be somewhere between a trail shoe (which I mostly prefer) and a boot. If it wasn't for the fact I've just acquired a pristine pair of Salomons from lost property at work I'd be looking at a pair myself I think

On 6/30/2023 at 4:28 PM, Homersexual said:

Any recommendations for a solid pair of men's hiking boots that don't cost a mint?

Edited by philipsteak

I feel like I managed quite a lot better than previous years, I had taken on some long walks in prep but not too much weight or resistance training.

I have chronic pain in my lower back and left hip, along with a dodgy knee too, all still recovering.

I surprised myself by taking on extra weight in my rucksack on the way back to help my very, very hungover husband. Just struggled to get the backpack on and off but once it was there, I could cope alright with it. Most painful thing was standing still, need to ramp up my back and core exercises.

8 minutes ago, mandana said:

Most painful thing was standing still 

Absolutely the standing still is the killer especially on that woodchip!  Definitely need to do a bit of core work this year to try and help with that! 

Edited by gigpusher
  • Like 1

Right, after three weeks of no sport, due to various ailments, glastonbury, glastonbury flu, I went for a run yesterday. I thought my condition was bad until I realised that I was running faster than my normal pace. So a 5k at a high pace is not a bad place to come back to!

Other half and I have started one of those plank challenges too, because it seems that our bellies strangely grew during the festival. The crumble shack, the cake hole and Vegan Fried chicken may have been involved. But hey when you walk half a marathon a day 4 meals a day is normal isn't it? 😉

46 minutes ago, moogster said:

Right, after three weeks of no sport, due to various ailments, glastonbury, glastonbury flu, I went for a run yesterday. I thought my condition was bad until I realised that I was running faster than my normal pace. So a 5k at a high pace is not a bad place to come back to!

Other half and I have started one of those plank challenges too, because it seems that our bellies strangely grew during the festival. The crumble shack, the cake hole and Vegan Fried chicken may have been involved. But hey when you walk half a marathon a day 4 meals a day is normal isn't it? 😉

I'm full of a cold but still managing to at least keep up my steps per day. I did come to the conclusion that a bit of core strength work is what I need to add in this year to help with the standing around so I have downloaded my free trial of Apple Health to see if I can find any that I like but I think that might be a job for the weekend when I am feeling better.

And yes at Glastonbury I would say at least 4 meals a day because I mainly just snack. We had a policy of sharing food when we could so we could try more stuff.

10 hours ago, Crazyfool01 said:

why cant i move ..... back is f**ked 😞 

9 hours ago, danssol said:

Pinged my calf on a run tonight. Sore but I stopped immediately so it’ll get rested for a couple weeks. Frustrating 

Oh no hope you are both better soon.

I've got a one year-old now and really need to be realistic in what I can do / fit in, or it's just not going to happen.

In terms of hot-footing it around site, I was fine (albeit I doubt I would be in a m*ddy year...), but it's the standing still that does me in. So according to people on here, Pilates/building core strength is the way to go?

Is Pilates something that can be done at home? Whenever I do any kind of physio my form is always wrong, and I don't want to cause myself an injury - however, attending a class just isn't going to happen.

Ideally, is there a workout I can fit into 10 minutes? Which can then be extended if I find myself with more time/energy?

To complicate matters I have issues with my feet - combination of bursitis, tendonitis, plantar fasciitis, Haglund's deformity etc. Sounds mad eh! This will limit the amount I can do (if I don't want to risk a flare up) and certain exercises can aggravate it (in fact the physio gave me heel-raises to do for a couple of years before it was discovered for my particular condition they were likely to aggravate it rather than help).

17 minutes ago, Fearless_Fish said:

I've got a one year-old now and really need to be realistic in what I can do / fit in, or it's just not going to happen.

In terms of hot-footing it around site, I was fine (albeit I doubt I would be in a m*ddy year...), but it's the standing still that does me in. So according to people on here, Pilates/building core strength is the way to go?

Is Pilates something that can be done at home? Whenever I do any kind of physio my form is always wrong, and I don't want to cause myself an injury - however, attending a class just isn't going to happen.

Ideally, is there a workout I can fit into 10 minutes? Which can then be extended if I find myself with more time/energy?

To complicate matters I have issues with my feet - combination of bursitis, tendonitis, plantar fasciitis, Haglund's deformity etc. Sounds mad eh! This will limit the amount I can do (if I don't want to risk a flare up) and certain exercises can aggravate it (in fact the physio gave me heel-raises to do for a couple of years before it was discovered for my particular condition they were likely to aggravate it rather than help).

With regards plantair facititus have you tried seeing someone … I suffered it again for the the umpteenth time last year but had some inserts made and my stride examined also some trainers recommended. A bit costly but well worth it as I’ve not suffered since . Touch wood 

3 hours ago, Crazyfool01 said:

With regards plantair facititus have you tried seeing someone … I suffered it again for the the umpteenth time last year but had some inserts made and my stride examined also some trainers recommended. A bit costly but well worth it as I’ve not suffered since . Touch wood 

Yeah seen a doctor, like 3 physios, podiatrist, muskulo-skeleto guy and a foot surgeon 😀 MRI scans don't show an *awful lot* wrong, and I'm doing ok at the moment, but I've got a tendency to relapse if I up the exercise (like fell walking in the Lakes).

Had some custom orthotics made by a private physio for £380, but was told by the podiatrist they were pointless so now got some NHS ones instead.

Yeah, it's taking me a bit longer than I'd have liked to get back in to the swing of things. Post Glastonbury lethargy taking a bit longer to clear. Weather's not helping either tbh. But got myself up  couple of fells this week and feeling all the better for it.

Even with returning to a more normal diet I'm maintaining my weight. Which I'm really happy about. Upped the calories to something more normal and sustainable and not being as strict on what I eat carb wise. The occasional slice of (good) bread, the occasional dessert, hell I even had  pizza! Not really tracking it all like I was when losing the weight. More just being sensible. It was important at the time, and it worked, but that way madness lay. Another two months until my next round of tests. I'm sort of expecting the blood glucose levels to be higher (no longer on metformin, no longer as strict on the diet) but hopefully still below the diabetic level. I wanted to see what impact being a bit less strict has. Because what I'm doing now is sustainable so if this works then all the better. If not then I'll just have to tweak it

• Like 1

This weather is really messing with my fitness training given that I predominantly walk and the weather is just too awful to walk 

Fingers crossed it gets better soon! Hate wasting Summer days inside and annoyingly you end up eating more through boredom.