Football 2023/24

charlierc

You wonder what else Moyes could of done at West ham to keep his job. Fighting relegation when he took over, gets them a trophy and the team is probably sat where they should be looking at the ones above them. Thursday night matches always seem to be a curse for the mid band clubs who manage to break into the european places.

9 minutes ago, lost said:

You wonder what else Moyes could of done at West ham to keep his job. Fighting relegation when he took over, gets them a trophy and the team is probably sat where they should be looking at the ones above them. Thursday night matches always seem to be a curse for the mid band clubs who manage to break into the european places.

3 league wins in 2024, probably see it as a decline and the new guy being available. 

Who on paper is a manager with a good CV in Porto, Spain, Real Madrid and Sevilla. 

17 minutes ago, lost said:

5 minutes ago, thetime said:

3 league wins in 2024, probably see it as a decline and the new guy being available. 

Who on paper is a manager with a good CV in Porto, Spain, Real Madrid and Sevilla. 

Pretty much. Brings me back in my head to people asking why Newcastle wanted to get rid of Alan Pardew at the end of 2013/14 when on course for a top 10 finish but that negated a truly awful run of form from January to the end of the season where we barely won and endured a few pummellings, and despite a revamp that carried over into failing to win any game in the first two months of the following season.

I've got the impression that it's mutual tbh. I think Moyes has looked fed up in the last few months with a squad that seems to have stopped listening and a fanbase that seems to scream at him to go after every defeat, and it seems like a good point for parting of the ways. I know people lament the lack of managerial longevity and there's an argument for that, but I think they've had a good run.

1 hour ago, thetime said:

Yeah I get he's had a bad run of form and in the modern game thats it. You wouldn't get a fergie at Utd nowadays when he was given time.

I don't know where I'd put "success" for West Ham (maybe doing what Villa have done?) Probably the biggest club in England that have never won the league and so a trophy should give a manager a free pass year unless they are down in the bottom half.

Edited by lost

1 hour ago, lost said:

Yeah I get he's had a bad run of form and in the modern game thats it. You wouldn't get a fergie at Utd nowadays when he was given time.

I don't know where I'd put "success" for West Ham (maybe doing what Villa have done?) Probably the biggest club in England that have never won the league and so a trophy should give a manager a free pass year unless they are down in the bottom half.

It's a difficult one when to make a change for the likes of West Ham. Villa perhaps have the same decision next season, with Unai Emery being a very short term manager solution. Would be surprised if they finish in the top 8 next season. 

2 hours ago, lost said:

Well, here is the confirmation...

I agree there's an impatience to modern football tbf. But there's kind of a sense of ennui among Premier League sides that aren't in the top 6, guess 8 depending on if Newcastle & Aston Villa can embed themselves at the top end, as to what they can actually do and just wondering how they can manifest a miracle like Leicester into existence.

You saw this with Crystal Palace a few months ago when they were practically begging for Roy Hodgson to leave, or even sides like Southampton who seemed to just sort of drift down from finishing in the top 6 in 2016 until going down this time last year.

On 5/5/2024 at 6:34 PM, thetime said:

Utd without 6 centrebacks tomorrow, maguire injured now. 

😃

Evans is back fit so I guess that's one in, one out.

Bruno Fernandes being injured as well might be a bother, mind.

8 hours ago, thetime said:

Casemiro 🤣

Presumably the experiment of popping him as a centre-back has been thoroughly discredited by last night.

... though I'm guessing it's a not-zero chance he's still there for when we turn up next Wednesday with Isak, Wilson, Gordon et all.

21 hours ago, pink_triangle said:

There is something refreshing in these days of fancy tactics a header from Hummels can still get you into a champions league final!

I remember seeing footage recently of a Newcastle game from 1990 and was amused that for all the innovations in tactics, shirt design, pitch conditioning and stadium architecture, there was still room in football for knocking it long to a big man up front as we had done in a recent match.

Kudos as well for Dortmund. It helped a little that PSG hit the goalframe six times, but pretty much nobody gave them a chance in winning so pulling it off earns a round of applause.

20 hours ago, Neil said:

15 minutes ago, charlierc said:

Like anyone would be surprised if Ten Hag is carted out the door in the summer.

Would be a big surprise if he's still there in August.

Naturally creates speculation for whom they might have tapped as the next name on the list.

2 hours ago, charlierc said:

Would be a big surprise if he's still there in August.

Naturally creates speculation for whom they might have tapped as the next name on the list.

wouldn't be surprised if ratcliffe has chosen the chosen one! give him one last chance to wreck the club

Hmmm... drawing with Brighton at a time when Chelsea are really picking up form is not helping the plans to take a top 6 position. Still in our hands but with our away form as hit-and-miss as it has been, winning at Man United and Brentford might not be so simple.

I guess an indication on Man Utd's mood will be clearer after we see them play Arsenal tomorrow.

13 hours ago, charlierc said:

I'd heard things about Old Trafford's roof being leaky but Jesus wept.

I'm aware that it was quite a hefty storm, but still...

nearly as leaky as the goal