Football 2023/24

charlierc

Even by their recent standards United should be getting out of that group. What is going on there. The managers can't all be bad but at the same time they've been backed in the transfer market with the players they've wanted. 

It almost seems like the players and fans go into games now expecting to be beaten.

1 hour ago, Ryan1984 said:

We deserved that win. More than matched Stockport, who are a very good League Two team. I’d have given Man of the Match to Cian Harries, who was immense at the back. Also very concerned about losing Josh Stokes in January!

have already been baiting a baggies programme seller i know  he didn't sound scared for some reason.

10 hours ago, Ryan1984 said:

We deserved that win. More than matched Stockport, who are a very good League Two team. I’d have given Man of the Match to Cian Harries, who was immense at the back. Also very concerned about losing Josh Stokes in January!

Not just very good league 2, but the best in the league. Although their form has been hit recently, probably down to injuries. Probably good time to play them, but still have to take advantage. That second promotion space looks wide open in the national league this season.

20 hours ago, DareToDibble said:

Even by their recent standards United should be getting out of that group. What is going on there. The managers can't all be bad but at the same time they've been backed in the transfer market with the players they've wanted. 

It almost seems like the players and fans go into games now expecting to be beaten.

That game in Copenhagen where they were 2-0 up and lost has a lot to answer for. It's one thing to lose home and away to Bayern Munich but that's a bona fide Euro super club, and Galatasary was just one of those games where events can overtake you. But that game... ooft.

And I say this fully aware I'm not exactly talking down from a position of strength. But it is what it is. Just because I support a team doesn't mean they're entitled to win every week, and last night against Milan they very much didn't.

20 hours ago, DareToDibble said:

Their player recruitment is dreadful, they constantly buy either big names who are past it, bad fits and/or have bad attitudes or over-rated and over- priced duds (prime example being slab head.

There's also some issue with how they train/use/treat players, somehow managing to make them worse, e.g. Di María who has been superb at every other club and for Argentina or Sancho, who IMO would be a great player under the guidance of Pep or Klopp.

4 hours ago, Skip997 said:

Their player recruitment is dreadful, they constantly buy either big names who are past it, bad fits and/or have bad attitudes or over-rated and over- priced duds (prime example being slab head.

There's also some issue with how they train/use/treat players, somehow managing to make them worse, e.g. Di María who has been superb at every other club and for Argentina or Sancho, who IMO would be a great player under the guidance of Pep or Klopp.

Whilst I agree on most of your points.

Di Maria just didn't want to be in England and at united.

Klopp would never have signed sancho, not in a million years. Bad attitude, thick as f**k and not a worker. How many of the top clubs were in for Sancho at the time?  He's certainly not a pep player either, doesn't have the intelligence. United have signed some awful players down the years, but after over 40 years supporting utd, pound for pound Sancho is the worst. 

Aldershot 3 down at home to Eastleigh at half time. Normal service has been resumed.

can i be nosey and ask where you are in the town?. i havent lived there since 1999 (and am not sure i'll even visit again, no reason to and no way of getting there.) but am currently trying to sell-up my mum's aldershot retirement flat.

Aldershot 3 down at home to Eastleigh at half time. Normal service has been resumed.

also if you were schooled in Aldershot, i might have had the pleasure of kicking your shins in school footie(I went to fernhill in Farnborough :P

do you know tongham have the world record for the most indisciplined match - against Hawley in about 1971): i was at that match to watch cos my cousin's fella [later her hubby] played for tongham 

theres a good youtube documentary of that match if you've ever got a spare hour.

4 hours ago, Neil said:

can i be nosey and ask where you are in the town?. i havent lived there since 1999 (and am not sure i'll even visit again, no reason to and no way of getting there.) but am currently trying to sell-up my mum's aldershot retirement flat.

I’m in the new development near the Centre for Health.

I was schooled in Aldershot but finished secondary school in 2000.

Definitely going to give that documentary a watch’

Finished 5-3 after being 5 down. Eastleigh were nervous towards the end!

I’m in the new development near the Centre for Health.

no idea where that is, my mum's place is just by the big tesco.

last place i lived in aldershot was just off the town centre.

my first house as a kid was behind rowhill copse (rowhill ave)

I was schooled in Aldershot but finished secondary school in 2000.

that was a long long time after me, i finished school in 1981.

Definitely going to give that documentary a watch’

you should do. -  my cousin's hubby is mick someone (i forget his last name ) he makes a brief appearance towards the end of the film. so i understand he passed away a while back so did my cousin, but they'd divorced a long time before.
(mick was a fun guy, and a favourite of this little kid).

i've got a vague memory of the match (i would have been about 5). it was a cold foggy evening, and we'd (my whole family, mum, dad, me, my two brothers) gone to watch  because mick was in the team playing the team from my village (Hawley)

Usually the main things I'd bring to this would be Toon stuff - Jimenez's ridiculous karate foul, a great breakout moment for Miley scoring and a nice win to help us move on from that disappointing day from Milan.

Main thing however is being saddened by Lockyer's collapse and hoping he pulls through. Initial proclamations that he's stable and responsive are a good sign. Can imagine in the Bournemouth ground on Saturday that it was terrifying.

3 hours ago, charlierc said:

Usually the main things I'd bring to this would be Toon stuff - Jimenez's ridiculous karate foul, a great breakout moment for Miley scoring and a nice win to help us move on from that disappointing day from Milan.

Main thing however is being saddened by Lockyer's collapse and hoping he pulls through. Initial proclamations that he's stable and responsive are a good sign. Can imagine in the Bournemouth ground on Saturday that it was terrifying.

Billing from Bournemouth called the medic right away and opened his airway. Could well have saved his life with that action.

On 12/17/2023 at 10:16 PM, Ryan1984 said:

Billing from Bournemouth called the medic right away and opened his airway. Could well have saved his life with that action.

Exactly. Both Billing and Solanke did a lot to get the medical attention on as quickly as possible.

Rob Edwards deserves a lot of credit as well for the emotional intelligence in reading the situation throughout Saturday. Can imagine it's been difficult for him seeing this happen twice in less than a year.

29 minutes ago, thetime said:

Another year goes by for Newcastle fans. 😊

We're still in the FA Cup so don't jump the gun just yet.

Saying that, f**king hell that was a bizarre and annoying game. Chelsea were pretty insipid for a team that dominated possession, given Dubravka barely had anything to do, and yet we might as well have kicked the ball in our net at the end. Trippier looks burned out, Gordon got injured, and we're still seemingly no nearer to stopping everyone breaking down.

Oh well. It's only a January with Liverpool, Man City, Aston Villa and an FA Cup tie with Sunderland coming up.

3 minutes ago, charlierc said:

We're still in the FA Cup so don't jump the gun just yet.

Saying that, f**king hell that was a bizarre and annoying game. Chelsea were pretty insipid for a team that dominated possession, given Dubravka barely had anything to do, and yet we might as well have kicked the ball in our net at the end. Trippier looks burned out, Gordon got injured, and we're still seemingly no nearer to stopping everyone breaking down.

Oh well. It's only a January with Liverpool, Man City, Aston Villa and an FA Cup tie with Sunderland coming up.

Trippier does pretty much anything else with that cross at the end and you’re through 🙇‍♂️