Primavera Sound 2024

UsernameHere

48 minutes ago, Whos3000_ said:

this was May, the 27th, 2020 https://www.primaverasound.com/en/news/primeras-confirmaciones-primavera-sound-barcelona-2021

this was june, the 3rd, 2020 https://www.primaverasound.com/en/news/new-additions-primavera-sound-barcelona-2021

I want to stay in denial for at least a couple hours  

and further to this, the day splits got announced (with a few more names) on the 9th June 2020, so as speculated we could get these next week

https://www.primaverasound.com/en/news/distribucion-por-dias-primavera-sound-barcelona-2021

6 minutes ago, xxialac said:

I’d be surprised if we don’t get the stage splits next week. 

Massive Attack have the added complication of trying to do a carbon neutral tour. Not sure if a factor here. 

Very very weird all this stuff this year, I'm sure there are explanations for having the delayed day splits and missing out on acts like The Smile, Massive Attack and Kaytranada, plus this year having less artists in the main festival, however it makes me more and more skeptical about going next year. It's a good lineup and I start liking it more and more but if the other festivals start releasing their lineups and there will be acts that Primavera should've brought I will be a bit pissed. And yes, you may say that every year there are acts that could come to Primavera but other festivals get them instead, but not having Massive Attack for me is a very huge deal breaker, I'm happy about Primavera exclusives like JaiPaul and Fka Twigs but I still feel a bit sad for not being able to see Massive Attack. Let's see how many more "Primavera style acts" the competition is going to get. In a year like 2016, 2018 and 2022 I wouldn't care much because those lineup were so stacked that it was impossible to see everything, but this year that if feels a bit empty, it's going be more visible, at least to me. 

11 minutes ago, festivalguy97 said:

Very very weird all this stuff this year, I'm sure there are explanations for having the delayed day splits and missing out on acts like The Smile, Massive Attack and Kaytranada, plus this year having less artists in the main festival, however it makes me more and more skeptical about going next year. It's a good lineup and I start liking it more and more but if the other festivals start releasing their lineups and there will be acts that Primavera should've brought I will be a bit pissed. And yes, you may say that every year there are acts that could come to Primavera but other festivals get them instead, but not having Massive Attack for me is a very huge deal breaker, I'm happy about Primavera exclusives like JaiPaul and Fka Twigs but I still feel a bit sad for not being able to see Massive Attack. Let's see how many more "Primavera style acts" the competition is going to get. In a year like 2016, 2018 and 2022 I wouldn't care much because those lineup were so stacked that it was impossible to see everything, but this year that if feels a bit empty, it's going be more visible, at least to me. 

Having disclosure and justice instead of the smile and massive attack to me sounds way more a change of direction than calvin Harris and maneskin last year 

I can’t think of any year where we haven’t ‘missed out’ on seemingly available acts.

In the end they can’t book everyone or pay over the odds to bring a band. And who knows what goes on behind the scenes. I’m sure there are acts that don’t get booked not because of the band but the agent.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, BA_Barrabus said:

Justice will be great but Disclosure and The National over The Smile or Massive Attack (or The Chemical Brothers) is what makes it meh for me.

But, I take on board that we've no idea around the ins and outs of booking a festival. 

Same for me, plus having Phoenix back is too soon. But from what I understand there was a struggle in finding available names for next edition, not many artists are touring and the ones that are touring are doing solo shows (Olivia Rodrigo, Paramore and many more).

14 minutes ago, festivalguy97 said:

Same for me, plus having Phoenix back is too soon. But from what I understand there was a struggle in finding available names for next edition, not many artists are touring and the ones that are touring are doing solo shows (Olivia Rodrigo, Paramore and many more).

Missing them in '22 and seeing them only play the Wednesday when I arrive on the Thursday is the stinker I didn't want or need.

On the plusses, that Sofia Kourtesis album is a tonic for the soul - gives me Caribou/Fred vibes. Guessing she'll be on Cupra?

• Like 1

I appreciate people being practical regarding the logistics of festival booking but when The Smile and Massive Attack didn't show up on the lineup I assumed they weren't touring these dates. 

These are big misses but more than that, they feel uncharacteristic for this festival. Not sure what happened. Hopefully there are some good additions but I really wouldn't expect a new name as big as MA. New Order last year was the exception, not the rule.

14 minutes ago, UsernameHere said:

I appreciate people being practical regarding the logistics of festival booking but when The Smile and Massive Attack didn't show up on the lineup I assumed they weren't touring these dates. 

These are big misses but more than that, they feel uncharacteristic for this festival. Not sure what happened. Hopefully there are some good additions but I really wouldn't expect a new name as big as MA. New Order last year was the exception, not the rule.

And I’m pretty sure Primavera knew or even tried to book them. They are very Primavera bookings, so would be interesting to know the reason. And yeah, if they were only doing late summer shows then I would understand, but announcing dates literally a week later after Primavera is weird. Also someone asked Gabi about LCD but he skipped that question. 

Honest question: When an artist you want to see is touring in 2024. Do you arrange time or travel to see them, or simply hope they will be playing at Primavera. I always do the former, hence if my favourite artists are not playing Primavera, I don't care that much because I'm seeing them anyway. Hence it is difficult for me to understand why someone would be particularly upset at Primavera for not booking this or that band.

2 minutes ago, emmanuel said:

Honest question: When an artist you want to see is touring in 2024. Do you arrange time or travel to see them, or simply hope they will be playing at Primavera. I always do the former, hence if my favourite artists are not playing Primavera, I don't care that much because I'm seeing them anyway. Hence it is difficult for me to understand why someone would be particularly upset at Primavera for not booking this or that band.

Yeah I agree with this. People complaining about the Smile but two weeks ago they had a tour announced in March so there was plenty of opportunity to catch them (if you live in the majority of Europe).

10 minutes ago, emmanuel said:

Depends. If for example I like Foo Fighters and they don't come to Primavera, I wouldn't get upset with that because it's not a booking that Primavera would have at all. I mean it can get kind of subjective because in the last years the direction of the festival changed and some artists that were unimaginable at Primavera, like Calvin Harris and Halsey, ended up coming, but still I would be ok if let's say Foo Fighters don't come and I would try to catch them somewhere in Europe.

On the other hand, The Smile and Massive Attack could be easily here, they are very Primavera style bookings. And I would be extremely happy to see them at Primavera instead of, let's say, Disclosure or The National. And of course if they don't come I feel a bit disappointed, because then it means I have to spend a lot of money on tickets, accommodation, flights and so on and so on. And if you live somewhere in the middle of Europe it's ok, but if you live let's say in Finland, you want Primavera to have as many acts as possible that you like so you can save money on seeing them individually.

And yes, you cannot have everything, but I'm not on this forum complaining that Primavera should bring Foo Fighters or Green Day or Bad Bunny, because it's not normal to have those artists. But I do talk about Smile and Massive Attack. At the end of the day it's a pointless conversation cause we don't know why they didn't come, but you can still question it. This site is literally about commenting on who's gonna come and who's not, so I don't understand what' the problem of talking about it.

• Upvote 1