Primavera Sound 2024

UsernameHere

6 minutes ago, xxialac said:

I grew up with SAW stuff like ‘I should be so lucky’ and there is admittedly some minor nostalgia appeal but c’mon Kylie Minogue has a very lightweight body of work and mostly just a face for hire. Not a patch on eg Pet Shop Boys who were not just thrust into fame based on their looks. Can’t imagine watching a whole set of her’s.

Couldn't agree more.

Playing DCFC's Transatlanticism very LOUD now...

Edited by Marty76

4 minutes ago, xxialac said:

I grew up with SAW stuff like ‘I should be so lucky’ and there is admittedly some minor nostalgia appeal but c’mon Kylie Minogue has a very lightweight body of work and mostly just a face for hire. Not a patch on eg Pet Shop Boys who were not just thrust into fame based on their looks. Can’t imagine watching a whole set of her’s.

Exactly. comparing her to PSB is really off.. not musically and not in terms of fitting the PS style

10 minutes ago, xxialac said:

Sorry but thats BS. She has an acclaimed discography outside of her stardom.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

1 hour ago, YunT said:

American Football

Bikini Kill

Camera Obscura

Mitski

Death Cab For Cutie

Lana del Rey

All of them will be in the lineup on Tuesday. Neither SZA nor Travis Scott, from what I've been told. 

I'm out of likes, but thanks a lot. Justice by any chance?

3 minutes ago, xxialac said:

I'm allowed to have an opinion that clearly differs to yours and it not be called BS.

How is that an opinion? "has a lightweight body of work" and is "mostly just a face for hire" is a factual claim is just not true. She has more than half a dozen albums rated above 3.4 on RYM, way more than most average indie bands. I know it was a thing for us indieheads to disregard pop-singers as sh*t altogether but just as Madonna, Kylie has a rather deep and diverse catalogue. I'm not saying you have to like her - I'm not what would be called a fan myself - but rather acknowledge that disliking her does not equal to her music being sh*t.

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, Quadrophobia said:

How is that an opinion? "has a lightweight body of work" and is "mostly just a face for hire" is a factual claim is just not true. She has more than half a dozen albums rated above 3.4 on RYM, way more than most average indie bands. I know it was a thing for us indieheads to disregard pop-singers as sh*t altogether but just as Madonna, Kylie has a rather deep and diverse catalogue. I'm not saying you have to like her - I'm not what would be called a fan myself - but rather acknowledge that disliking her does not equal to her music being sh*t.

I think that comparing her to Madonna is more insulting to Madonna than to Pet Shop Boys. Not just as a matter of taste - but as a matter of influence, innovation, and what she represents beyond music

• Thanks 1

Just now, Quadrophobia said:

Eh? The very nature of music is that it's subjective. And I didn't call her sh*t.

I think (note: not a 'factual claim') she has a lightweight body of music and I don't care if your precious RYM (which is also incidentally comprised of humans making subjective assessments) thinks she is >3.4 score-worthy, I stand by my opinion. And more importantly I am allowed to have an opinion!

9 minutes ago, xxialac said:

Eh? The very nature of music is that it's subjective. And I didn't call her sh*t.

I think (note: not a 'factual claim') she has a lightweight body of music and I don't care if your precious RYM (which is also incidentally comprised of humans making subjective assessments) thinks she is >3.4 score-worthy, I stand by my opinion. And more importantly I am allowed to have an opinion!

Well we keep fighting over something every year so lets keep up that tradition

I mean, I just can't keep you out of my thread 😁

Edited by Quadrophobia
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 2

I'm not a Kylie fan, I'm familiar only with her older hits and I don't think I know any of her songs from last 15 years, but still, I'm thrilled to check her newer albums and from what I've heard so far (10 minutes of youtubing) she looks like a good Primavera fit and, don't yell at me, but I can see her easily as replacement of Jessie Ware (even more, if she really plays Saturday).

Edited by pipan

2 hours ago, YunT said:

American Football

Bikini Kill

Camera Obscura

Mitski

Death Cab For Cutie

Lana del Rey

All of them will be in the lineup on Tuesday. Neither SZA nor Travis Scott, from what I've been told. 

If Travis and SZA are not there, then it means that either Karol G or Bad Bunny are there 100%, they need to have big pop stars, don’t think Lana is enough 

With Travis out I'm struggling to think of a big rap name. I know some will say there may not be one but 2017 was the last year without a hip hop headliner so I'd be surprised.

Could Anderson .Paak headline after the Silk Sonic stuff? I love him but for me he'd feel weak as a headliner. ASAP Rocky again? Not to my taste but maybe Lil Uzi or Nicki Minaj?

Bad Bunny for hip hop fans won't suffice - completely different genre. Any ideas?

7 minutes ago, UsernameHere said:

With Travis out I'm struggling to think of a big rap name. I know some will say there may not be one but 2017 was the last year without a hip hop headliner so I'd be surprised.

Could Anderson .Paak headline after the Silk Sonic stuff? I love him but for me he'd feel weak as a headliner. ASAP Rocky again? Not to my taste but maybe Lil Uzi or Nicki Minaj?

Bad Bunny for hip hop fans won't suffice - completely different genre. Any ideas?

Bad Bunny last album was almost pure trap (as he called it). And I also think that in 2017 hip hop was stronger than now. Maybe we will get and old reunion, or something like Nas 30 year celebration of Illmatic, other than that Bad Bunny seems ok. 

15 minutes ago, festivalguy97 said:

Bad Bunny last album was almost pure trap (as he called it). And I also think that in 2017 hip hop was stronger than now. Maybe we will get and old reunion, or something like Nas 30 year celebration of Illmatic, other than that Bad Bunny seems ok. 

I just think Latin Trap - although a sub genre of hip hop would be seen as a different slot by the festival. Also the fanbase for each would be very different. 

I'd love Nas to return. I really enjoyed his set in 2019 but he was a sub that year - billed below Future. He's had a real resurgence with the Hit-Boy albums though.

• Upvote 1