Visions 2023 22/7/23

axel75

Visions has always really being about new and unknown bands, apart from Spiritualized the rest of the bill pretty much fits that description.

Just wanted to highlight what amazing value for money the early bird tickets for this, Wide Awake and the new Rally festivals are. Always worth a punt despite who plays.

• 2 weeks later...

OK.

So.....after looking forward to this, turns out I can't go. Gutting.

So....I have a ticket available. I bought it on Dice. I paid £25 for an early bird ticket. You can have it for £20. 

Dm me if interested. £20 for Just Mustard and Spiritualized AND Scalping? And more?!? Blimey. What a deal. 

etc.

19 hours ago, retromoz said:

OK.

So.....after looking forward to this, turns out I can't go. Gutting.

So....I have a ticket available. I bought it on Dice. I paid £25 for an early bird ticket. You can have it for £20. 

Dm me if interested. £20 for Just Mustard and Spiritualized AND Scalping? And more?!? Blimey. What a deal. 

etc.

This has now gone. 

• 2 weeks later...
18 minutes ago, xxialac said:

Final names in.

The worst lineup in their history. Clear that they’ve spent almost all their budget on Spiritualised at the expense of lots of great second line names.

Totally agree.  Very disappointing!  Modern Woman, Tapir, Mui Zyu and Just Mustard the only decent undercard names imo. 

On 6/7/2023 at 11:01 PM, noisenoiseandmorenoise said:

Hard to deny the value for money but yeah not sure how they ended up with this line up. Last year was perfectly balanced from top to bottom

Used to be even better, a huge fall from grace.

image.jpeg.e24c34f872d4786f84322051890affce.jpeg

Edited by xxialac

It feels to me that they have a new booking team or at least a totally different booking strategy.  Spiritualised are a notably bigger band than any of their past headliners.  The gulf between headliner and undercard is much more distinct this year.  In previous years, the headliner has been pretty comparable to the much of the top line.  Somewhat subjective I know…but it feels like the budget went on the headliner to the detriment of the undercard when historically it seems that they wouldn’t have had to spend way more on the headliner and in comparison to the other big names.

Also, the genre of music seems to have shifted as well.  Quite a lot of pop/R&B on the line up this year (although that was also the case last year to some extent I guess) and definitely less of the cool stuff they used to book (Jenny Hval, Moor Mother, SOPHIE, Jockstrap, Kero Kero Bonito, Lightning Bolt, Show Me The Body, Keely Forsyth, Aya, Hinako Omori, Iglooghost, Gazelle Twin etc.) 

6 hours ago, Fish Bulb said:

Surely by it's very nature it always looks better in retrospect, as a lot of the bands playing it having made it big yet?

Obviously.

But many of those acts were breaking through at the time.

And I can spot 10 at least who are established now.

This year’s lineup doesnt begin to compare. I’ve tried to get excited about the bands but only 1 or 2 at most will breakthrough. The quality isn’t there.

• 3 weeks later...

Visions has always been about new acts, after having a good listen to the lineup, i can recommend the following (so long as you are not just wanting to listen to same old guitar stuff):

Scalping
Pale Blue Eyes
Dos Monos
Floodlights
Hex Girlfriend
Miniki
Halina

1 hour ago, collectivisedfarming said:

I last went to visions in 2014 and am going this year. I know this could be an impossible question to answer but based on more recent years what are numbers of ticket holders like in terms of capacities? Will I have to be in an act before the one I want to see, particularly later in the day?

Id probably say the Church will be fine. The others will fill up if a big band, so id get it early ( esp Paper Dress)

We gave up on Paper Dress last year. It seemed like they had space for 20 people. Queues every time we passed.

Oslo's was packed and sweat running off the ceilings level of hot especially for Deathcrash. Though they didn't have people controlling the capacity so you could always get in.

The other venues seemed fine. It appeared lots choose to hang around the main church all day (which would explain the high number of disinterested talkers).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, noisenoiseandmorenoise said:

We gave up on Paper Dress last year. It seemed like they had space for 20 people. Queues every time we passed.

Oslo's was packed and sweat running off the ceilings level of hot especially for Deathcrash. Though they didn't have people controlling the capacity so you could always get in.

The other venues seemed fine. It appeared lots choose to hang around the main church all day (which would explain the high number of disinterested talkers).

Super useful, thanks.

• 2 weeks later...