2023 line up thread

Guy Incognito

40 minutes ago, Stillill42 said:

Right so I haven't been paying attention to the Gabriels conversation at all. They were down to play last year but pulled out, correct? And they're in Bristol the same weekend?  Ah surely they're shoe ins for the mystery spot. Who knows why it hasn't been announced yet but it completely makes sense, no? I'm only listening to them now for the first time and I love them, what a voice! I'd be delighted with that.

That's correct, but Forwards doesn't share any acts with EOTR which raises the possibility that there's some kind of south-west restriction contract going on at their end - but also that the non-announcement might be because they've agreed EOTR can't announce them until their day of Forwards sells out (which given they haven't sold out the following day headlined by Aphex Twin seems unlikely) or otherwise on the Saturday itself.

4 minutes ago, SweepingTheNation said:

That's correct, but Forwards doesn't share any acts with EOTR which raises the possibility that there's some kind of south-west restriction contract going on at their end - but also that the non-announcement might be because they've agreed EOTR can't announce them until their day of Forwards sells out (which given they haven't sold out the following day headlined by Aphex Twin seems unlikely) or otherwise on the Saturday itself.

I seem to remember Gabriels being one of the very first names suggested when ??? first got listed.  If it is them they presumably would have panicked at being rumbled so quick - excellent job spreading rumors in every conceivable direction since then. I'll be very happy if it is them! 

1 hour ago, p.pete said:

I seem to remember Gabriels being one of the very first names suggested when ??? first got listed.  If it is them they presumably would have panicked at being rumbled so quick - excellent job spreading rumors in every conceivable direction since then. I'll be very happy if it is them! 

Well, it's us that's spreading the rumours and suppositions, absolutely nothing other than some question marks on a single graphic has come from the festival side.

Sort of speaking of which, Laundromat has disappeared from the line-up page.

Edited by SweepingTheNation

3 hours ago, SweepingTheNation said:

Biig Piig is at Forwards on Friday and EotR on Sunday, but other than that there is no overlap.

Gabriels weren't on the initial Forwards line-up release, they were added at the end of April. You'd have thought EotR would have had their main Saturday night sub lined up before then, especially as the second line-up announcement for EotR was at the end of March. Therefore it seems odd that EotR would have kept a lid on having booked Gabriels in both the first and second line-up announcements given that Forwards were still over a month away from announcing them.

Doesn't mean it isn't Gabriels, just makes the justification of their non-announcement a little more shaky.

21 minutes ago, Hurray4theWhiffWhaff said:

I’ve seen lots of good reasons as to why it’s boygenius.

I’ve not really seen any compelling reasons as to why it would be one of the other candidates.

Just saying.

obviously it probably won’t be boygenius, especially as I’ve told confidently told my family members it’s boygenius.

Right now there's many more compelling reasons why it wouldn't be Boygenius (last European date is four days earlier, Gunnersbury Park is bigger capacity than EOTR, if Green Man are open in saying they couldn't get them a festival 40% smaller that Phoebe hasn't played won't) than there are in favour.

3 minutes ago, SweepingTheNation said:

Right now there's many more compelling reasons why it wouldn't be Boygenius (last European date is four days earlier, Gunnersbury Park is bigger capacity than EOTR, if Green Man are open in saying they couldn't get them a festival 40% smaller that Phoebe hasn't played won't) than there are in favour.

I don’t disagree.  I still stand by my comment though.

1 minute ago, snipe said:

A distinct lack of explaining the blank Venn diagram on the poster in these ??? theories.  Need more bands that solve the Venn diagram! 

Boygenius, as a supergroup, exist at the centre of the Venn diagram, the overlap of Phoebe, Lucy and Julian's own circles.

How's that?

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, The Nal said:

Did they not debut boygenius at EOTR? Every chance its them.

1. Three question marks

2. only plausible act that could be the unannounced artist for both eotr & electric picnic

3. affinity with EOTR including first performance of boygenius material 

4. obvious reasons why they’d rather not announce it in advance 

4 hours ago, The Nal said:

Did they not debut boygenius at EOTR? Every chance its them.

Julien and Lucy played some songs ahead of the EP in a late night slot but they were both playing their own sets anyway.

4 hours ago, Hurray4theWhiffWhaff said:

2. only plausible act that could be the unannounced artist for both eotr & electric picnic

Again, though, why are some assuming both are going to be the same? Electric Picnic is nearly five times bigger than EOTR and their other sub-headliners are Latitude headliner Paolo Nutini and Niall Horan.

Not assuming anything & not assuming it’s boygenius.

I’m just suggesting there are plausible reasons why it might be BG &, if it was, why this information would be withheld.

I’ve not heard any convincing reasons with regard to any other acts.

I don’t think boy genius would be an inappropriate sub-headliner for electric picnic 

On 7/31/2023 at 3:25 PM, The Nal said:

Hopefully not the ?? on the lineup

Could definitely see it being them. I reckon them (Wet Leg) or FWF are the level we're looking at.

Happy with either of them, and obviously while I would love it to be some of the more outrageous names bandied about on this thread (TayTay warm up gig, anyone?), but it's all about managing expectations for now, and not getting carried away.

52 minutes ago, Mardy said:

Could definitely see it being them. I reckon them (Wet Leg) or FWF are the level we're looking at.

Happy with either of them, and obviously while I would love it to be some of the more outrageous names bandied about on this thread (TayTay warm up gig, anyone?), but it's all about managing expectations for now, and not getting carried away.

Pfffft. Managing expectations is for real life, Mardy. Dream big, I say. Let it rip.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

It was August 5th in 2021 when Damon was added. 

Also added were: Crack Cloud, Sipho, Balimaya Project, Loraine James, Anna B Savage, Kiran Leonard, Wesley Gonzalez, BABii, Gwenifer Raymond, Broadside Hacks, Sam Akpro, The Umlauts, Tiberius b, John Francis Flynn, Michael Clark and Joe Goddard.

And these all pulled out: Whitney, Tune-Yards, Tinariwen, Songhoy Blues, Les Amazones d’Afrique, Blanck Mass, Les Filles de Illighadad, Current Joys, Marie Davidson &L’œil Nu, Shygirl, The Anchoress, Mike Polizze, Margaret Glaspy, Itasca, Skullcrusher, Jeffrey Martin, Jake Xerxes Fussell, Disq, Sofia Wolfson, David Thomas Broughton and Marlaena Moore

Granted covid was about in 21 but still, maybe a few changes yet.

2 hours ago, The Nal said:

It was August 5th in 2021 when Damon was added. 

Also added were: Crack Cloud, Sipho, Balimaya Project, Loraine James, Anna B Savage, Kiran Leonard, Wesley Gonzalez, BABii, Gwenifer Raymond, Broadside Hacks, Sam Akpro, The Umlauts, Tiberius b, John Francis Flynn, Michael Clark and Joe Goddard.

And these all pulled out: Whitney, Tune-Yards, Tinariwen, Songhoy Blues, Les Amazones d’Afrique, Blanck Mass, Les Filles de Illighadad, Current Joys, Marie Davidson &L’œil Nu, Shygirl, The Anchoress, Mike Polizze, Margaret Glaspy, Itasca, Skullcrusher, Jeffrey Martin, Jake Xerxes Fussell, Disq, Sofia Wolfson, David Thomas Broughton and Marlaena Moore

Granted covid was about in 21 but still, maybe a few changes yet.

I'd be surprised if there are major international travel restrictions enforced in the next five weeks. You cannot compare 2021, with the whole festival not even being certain of happening until late July, with any other year.

3 hours ago, RedRockRick said:

Hem have just posted a rehearsal picture (which I hope Sally took), which has popped up in my Facebook feed: please, please, let it be them.

As sub-headliner? Really?

Edited by SweepingTheNation