Which camper van location?

Derby_Dave

Hi guys I need some advice from any who have experience with the camper van locations.

The wife and I were lucky enough to get tickets for 2023 and have a caravan so are looking for a camper van ticket.

I have been in the east camper van fields before so am aware of the hill and the distance to that.  We got fairly lucky and were not a million miles away from the gate the wife wasn’t with me that year though.

My wife unfortunately suffers pretty badly with arthritis and I suffer with neuropathy in my feet. Now she is determined to do this and we will manage it as we always do.

What I wish to know is what the best option is in location?  Would Bath and west be physically easier than East fields?  The shuttle bus is not an issue I’m not fussed about being closer to the site etc as we are both approaching 50 and don’t need to be close to the action once we are back at the van it’s sleep o’clock.  We can prepare for the day no problem.

I am just thinking about what is the least demanding on her getting to and from the van.

Edited by Derby_Dave

The key is (regardless of location of van) to ensure you are prepared for the day. Bring everything you need for the day with you. Use the lockups and take your time.

I had a van on the East this year but was a full mile away from Gate C (it was along walk home)

Don't try and spend every minute of every day doing things. You'll be knackered! Take your time and enjoy the moment!

Bring chairs (but put them in the lock up by 7pm!)

Most importantly enjoy!

• Like 1

Is it worth looking at Love Fields @Derby_Dave? Expensive as hell, but gets you a spot right next to gate c... You also get nicer toilets and hot showers, although I'm guessing your van has these, and can make use of them, as you can even book a hook up at Love Fields if wanted. 

But as I said, it's bloody expensive for what it is. 

On the plus side, you'll get to enjoy the sight of the Derbyshire flag flying high. 😉 

• Like 1

We were in Bath and West this year after years in East.

Despite the shuttle bus element, its still a heck of a walk, say from the Pyramid/Other, I cant think its less than the walk to the East field area.

Shuttle buses ran ok in general, but on Sunday night the queues were massive and took well over an hour to get on a bus. Massive buzzkill and kind of ended the festival in a sub optimal way.

B&W has permanent loo blocks and showers if that makes a difference. 

All in all, I'd be looking for East as first option in the future.

44 minutes ago, Jose Pose said:

The electric hookup option at Lovefields intrigued me, just the £1200 for a motorhome. Mental.

Saw this mentioned recently, which sounds like a bargain by comparison. 

Personally having stayed in caravans or motor homes I've always found battery and gas more than sufficient. 

7 minutes ago, clarkete said:

Saw this mentioned recently, which sounds like a bargain by comparison. 

Personally having stayed in caravans or motor homes I've always found battery and gas more than sufficient. 

Yeah I’m not an expert as it will be my parents campervan id be borrowing, but I hadn’t thought I’d need electric hookup, I was just curious as the cost. It would be handy to be able to plug my work laptop on but not essential.

Even then you can get some pretty awesome electric ‘generators’ nowadays anyway, for less than half the price of that love fields pitch that would last the entire festival if it was really essential.

Edited by Jose Pose

4 minutes ago, Jose Pose said:

Yeah I’m not an expert as it will be my parents campervan id be borrowing, but I hadn’t thought I’d need electric hookup, I was just curious as the cost. It would be handy to be able to plug my work laptop on but not essential.

Even then you can get some pretty awesome electric ‘generators’ nowadays anyway, for less than half the price of that love fields pitch that would last the entire festival if it was really essential.

https://glastonburyfestivals.co.uk/information/accommodation/info-campervans-and-caravans/#generator

Plus of course

177516-Homer-Simpson-nerd-meme-imgur-vbyV.jpeg

Edited by clarkete

38 minutes ago, clarkete said:

Sorry when I say electric generator, I mean something like this:

ALLPOWERS 300W Portable Power Station, 288Wh Portable Generator Solar Generator Outdoor Generator Portable Power Source with AC/DC/USB/Wireless Outlets for Home Use Camping Travel Garden Emergency https://amzn.eu/d/9rMsn89

Just a big powerbank basically, but they still call them generators for some reason.

Edited by Jose Pose
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Jose Pose said:

Sorry when I say electric generator, I mean something like this:

ALLPOWERS 300W Portable Power Station, 288Wh Portable Generator Solar Generator Outdoor Generator Portable Power Source with AC/DC/USB/Wireless Outlets for Home Use Camping Travel Garden Emergency https://amzn.eu/d/9rMsn89

Just a big powerbank basically, but they still call them generators for some reason.

Ah if I recall correctly @Neilhas some big beast powerbank 

12 minutes ago, clarkete said:

Ah marvellous 😊

The battery pack fully charged from flat surprisingly quickly. The panel is also very light as is the battery pack. So not a burden to carry. Three USB outlets which all work at the same time plus a cigarette lighter socket and 240 it's got everything covered. 

15 minutes ago, Neil said:

The battery pack fully charged from flat surprisingly quickly. The panel is also very light as is the battery pack. So not a burden to carry. Three USB outlets which all work at the same time plus a cigarette lighter socket and 240 it's got everything covered. 

Sounds very good

We take a similar solar generator, We use the jackery 240, and we didn't even need to use the solar charger. It lasted us the whole fest charging 2 x Phones, 2 x Ecigs and 2 x Watches every night!!!!

Wouldn't work as a hook up though, as it doesn't provide enough amps through 230-240v (1amp or 200W @ 230v.) But you wouldn't need a hookup in a camper if you had one of them anyway, you'd just use the built in leisure battery and gas to power the camper, and then the solar generator for your personal devices. You can get much bigger and more powerful versions though!

To be fair, if your parents camper van has it's own solar panel, I can't for the life of me imagine what you'd need anything else for at a festival, it'll provide all the power needed to keep the leisure batteries topped up, even if you use them to power the camper and your personal devices. 

The only reason I mentioned a hook up at all was because the original OP mentioned disabilities. So there may be mobility equipment involved. I just wanted to cover that possibility without prying into their personal circumstances too much. 🙂 

5 hours ago, clarkete said:

This.

I am a bit 'belt n braces' so I invariably take 2 bottles of Gas, a spare leisure battery and a portable double solar panel (which i rarely use) 

I am there Tuesday to Monday (except for this year when i sadly wasnt) but you dont really spend a lot of time there

4 hours ago, Alvoram said:

We take a similar solar generator, We use the jackery 240, and we didn't even need to use the solar charger. It lasted us the whole fest charging 2 x Phones, 2 x Ecigs and 2 x Watches every night!!!!

A watch that you charge up every night? 

What a world we live in today! 

2 hours ago, Alvoram said:

Isn't that standard for all Apple / Smart watches? Has been for every one I have owned.

I've only ever had watches where batteries last for years or where they're automatic so don't need a battery. 

Is it so you can monitor your pulse when you double drop? 

39 minutes ago, clarkete said:

I've only ever had watches where batteries last for years or where they're automatic so don't need a battery. 

Is it so you can monitor your pulse when you double drop? 

Nah, that'd be horrendous... Can you imagine the paranoia that'd set in?

It's mostly so this idiot doesn't lose his wallet 🙈😂 It gets used as a contactless payment device more than anything, it's great to be able to leave your wallet and all your cards safe and just have them strapped to your wrist instead (and a backup note or two in your pockets.) 

Though I do track walks, exercise and activity with it too. And you'd be surprised with how many times I end up using the torch feature on it.