Craft and (crap) beer at Glastonbury

BBC7BBCHEAVEN

2 hours ago, dcsessions said:

Morrison's often have northern monk - faith on at a decent price. That's my "go to" house beer. I always prefer the 330ml cans as it seems to taste nicer than the 440ml?!

Otherwise you can't go too far wrong with the camden IPA listed above or the vocation beers. 

Most supermarkets have decent craft beer offerings these days tbf.

This looks good bang for your buck:

https://www.tesco.com/groceries/en-GB/products/313009086

We have very similar tastes in beer. Faith and Hop,Skip and Juice are always in my cupboard. Vocation also do some incredible deals direct.

6 hours ago, balti-pie said:

Pints of schofferhoffer would be absolutely amazing 🥳 

I have a case of this packed! When my wife introduced it to me I almost fainted. A fiver for a pint of shandy! However, I am a convert now (it's much cheaper in cans).

It does my break my original rule for beers at Glastonbury, which was nothing under 6 per cent. Now we are in the campervan, I'm not as strict and Schofferhofer is my 'breakfast' beer of choice. Have you tried the Pomegranate version and the pineapple version?

1 minute ago, Boomtowner said:

I have a case of this packed! When my wife introduced it to me I almost fainted. A fiver for a pint of shandy! However, I am a convert now (it's much cheaper in cans).

It does my break my original rule for beers at Glastonbury, which was nothing under 6 per cent. Now we are in the campervan, I'm not as strict and Schofferhofer is my 'breakfast' beer of choice. Have you tried the Pomegranate version and the pineapple version?

Pineapple yes - and I’m dying to make a schofferhoffer lilt by splitting it with the grapefruit - but I’ve not seen or heard of the pomegranate, I bloody love a pomegranate, me 😆 

2 hours ago, coma girl said:

Got a can of this set aside for the festival, will save it for an evening when I don't want to be drinking weaker cans and having to go to the loo as often. Or maybe have it in the queue on Tuesday night.

Screenshot_2023-06-13-16-44-55-90_40deb401b9ffe8e1df2f1cc5ba480b12.jpg

Interested in how this tastes, I love Vault City, but that one might be a step too far. Although I was partial to both their Tunnocks tea cake one and the Iron Brew one.

2 minutes ago, balti-pie said:

Pineapple yes - and I’m dying to make a schofferhoffer lilt by splitting it with the grapefruit - but I’ve not seen or heard of the pomegranate, I bloody love a pomegranate, me 😆 

Only seen it in Berlin, it was good, as is the pineapple, but the grapefruit is my favourite.

22 minutes ago, hurdy said:

How "wheat" beer is Schofferhofer? Like the sound of it but could never get on with Hoegarden etc.?

I don’t think it’s particularly wheaty at all - German style Weissbiers are a bit lighter and less claggy than the Belgian ones like Hoegaarden, and the adjunct/grapefruit will lighten it up a fair bit too. Predominantly down to yeast strains, I think. this is ultra nerdy beer chat 🤣 can I be the first to say brettanomyces? There. I said it! 

There’s always cans of schofferhoffer in Morrisons, it’s definitely worth having a bash to see how you get on, it’s a great daytime beer and doesn’t seem to need refrigeration as much as other lighter beers do. A good addition to the beers box 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, badger80 said:

Hear Hear, Citra is one of the best session beers 

Brew York is expensive but it's one if the best breweries in the country. £4 a can is a dear do but you get what you pay for.  The Empress Tonkoko is probably one of the best I've ever tasted. They have a tap room and beer hall in York that are well worth checking out - the range of beers is out of this world.

This is my local, well that and the House of Trembling Madness. I've had numerous variations of Tonkoko, Emperor and Empress, some in bourbon barrels, but still prefer the original. As regards price, I bought a case of 24 X Tonkoko from Morrisons last year for just under £30.

30 minutes ago, Boomtowner said:

We have very similar tastes in beer. Faith and Hop,Skip and Juice are always in my cupboard. Vocation also do some incredible deals direct.

I've been drinking it for years but I still can't get over how good faith is for a "supermarket" beer. 

I'm a massive northern monk fan in general.

The only thing with hop skip and juice/faith for glasto is the strength which is fine if that's what you want! But that other vocation offer is still decent value for slight weaker but still good beer.

I've got a child in tow this time so won't be going massive. Will just be taking some homemade Pimms/lemonade or rum cocktail. Maybe the odd brothers cider as it's glasto.

It's a real shame there isn't any kind of craft beer representation at glasto. The "taphouse" list from 2019 is genuinely embarrassing.

menu-bar-520x304.jpg

7 minutes ago, Isaact said:

In terms of bang for your buck great beers to bring with you to the festival, you can't really get a better deal than Vocation at the moment.

This 24 hour deal of £50 for 36 cans is an absolute corker.

dog-doggo.gif

£3.78 per litre but you're getting decent abv there too.

16 minutes ago, Boomtowner said:

This is my local, well that and the House of Trembling Madness. I've had numerous variations of Tonkoko, Emperor and Empress, some in bourbon barrels, but still prefer the original. As regards price, I bought a case of 24 X Tonkoko from Morrisons last year for just under £30.

My uncle lives in allerton bywater and I love my jaunts up to Yorkshire! Loads of great craft beer up there. 

Edited by dcsessions

4 hours ago, balti-pie said:

The bar down at the Unfairground had pint cans of a gluten free Arbor pale, they were possibly a fiver and absolutely bloody gorgeous and cold. This was 2019, and in 2022 they were only in the staff bar down there (broke Britain? I think it’s called) but they’d sold out by Wednesday I think. I hope they’re back, in greater numbers, and in the public bar down there, cos they were a magnificent find 

Thank you, I’ll keep that in mind, and maybe see if I can find some to take with me! 

1 hour ago, Isaact said:

In terms of bang for your buck great beers to bring with you to the festival, you can't really get a better deal than Vocation at the moment.

This 24 hour deal of £50 for 36 cans is an absolute corker.

Thanks for this, already prepped for Glastonbury, but it will start the collection for Y Not

11 hours ago, Boomtowner said:

Interested in how this tastes, I love Vault City, but that one might be a step too far. Although I was partial to both their Tunnocks tea cake one and the Iron Brew one.

I used to hate sours but Vault City brought me round to them, I am hoping this one is nice too.

6 hours ago, coma girl said:

I used to hate sours but Vault City brought me round to them, I am hoping this one is nice too.

I was exactly the same, but the odd sips here and there of my wife's, as slowly brought n=me round. Some are still disgusting and I can't get into gose beers, but there are some of Vault City that I truly adore. Has a great time at their pub in Edinburgh back in January. 

5 hours ago, Boomtowner said:

I was exactly the same, but the odd sips here and there of my wife's, as slowly brought n=me round. Some are still disgusting and I can't get into gose beers, but there are some of Vault City that I truly adore. Has a great time at their pub in Edinburgh back in January. 

Yeah I am not quite into gose beers yet either.

I keep meaning to visit the VC bar, I am only in Glasgow so no excuse not to go and check it out soon!

It's a great bar, we got some vouchers for the crowdfunding during the Portobello opening so stopped in on our way to Glasgow craft beer festival last year (sadly cancelled this year) and had a space booked.

If there is about 5+ if you definitely book space because we basically took over the whole place with only 10 people.

Some amazing non vault city beers in there as well

Anyone looking for some last minute bargains who isn't too fussed about BBE - https://lowcostbeer.com/

£6 for a litre of 12.5% Fallen Acorn stout!!  Their cans of Rocky Road stout are great as well.  And the Black Iris porter sounds lovely as well.  Might need to message them to confirm they can deliver before you set off though

Edited by Greenelk