2024 Headliners

4 minutes ago, Hugh Jass II said:

Not sure I've ever been at a gig of theirs where that singalong has actually worked.

Kelvingrove Bandstand in Glasgow a few years back I'd say it worked well. That only holds about 2k or so capacity though.

Seated at The Hydro last year it did not go down well at all. Front 3 rows were having a good time at least.

5 minutes ago, Hugh Jass II said:

Not sure I've ever been at a gig of theirs where that singalong has actually worked.

Yeah it's always gone fine at best. They must see something in the crowd that has spurred them on to do it for over 10 years but I can't fathom what. I don't hate it, it's just such a strange thing to persist with.

1 minute ago, 1986 said:

Yeah it's always gone fine at best. They must see something in the crowd that has spurred them on to do it for over 10 years but I can't fathom what. I don't hate it, it's just such a strange thing to persist with.

It's just such an anti-climactic way to end a gig.

1 minute ago, Hugh Jass II said:

I'm not shaving between now and July so I'll have a long, luscious beard to stroke as the National launch into Daughters of the Soho Riots to a silently awed Pyramid crowd.

Just go all in and play Alligator in full.

48 minutes ago, gfa said:

Why would you promote 2 acts 20+ years past their peak

Hardly progressive

They aren't currently considered big enough because the festival can do better for pyramid headliners than an act like chems who can't sell out a single night at the o2 for £60 standing 

Why - as previously explained the ever dwindling pool of acts deemed big enough to headline that are A- available & B - affordable 

Should the festival struggle to fill slots as may well be the case. .. 

People should be OK with it cos it's still a great booking.

Sorry to be blunt  far to much entitled spoilt behaviour over the size of the booking and for me it's one of the big negatives about the festival.

7 minutes ago, henry bear said:

There are many acts that can headline slightly smaller festivals, or maybe headlined The Pyramid years ago when they were more popular than they are now, or before the festival got as huge as it currently is and are a natural shoe in to headline The Other.

I think a lot of people take this too far and think that Glastonbury is some shining city upon the hill, and any act will naturally slash their regular demands to be blessed with the privilege of playing. 

I've seen people on here talking about O-Rod playing the Other, The Killers subbing, just wildly off-calibre stuff because the only people worthy of the top spot are John Lennon, Elvis, and Mozart.

1 minute ago, Krisesk said:

Just go all in and play Alligator in full.

They should do the exact setlist from night 2 of Ally Pally where they played all their big hits the night before and refused to play them again.

Two hours of National deep cuts is the perfect way to close out the festival on the Pyramid.

3 minutes ago, Ben7amin_ said:

Sorry to be blunt  far to much entitled spoilt behaviour over the size of the booking and for me it's one of the big negatives about the festival.

The festival will always try and get the biggest names that they can for the Pyramid, not just for the people at the festival, but for the TV viewers too. 

2 minutes ago, Hugh Jass II said:

They should do the exact setlist from night 2 of Ally Pally where they played all their big hits the night before and refused to play them again.

Two hours of National deep cuts is the perfect way to close out the festival on the Pyramid.

I went to night 1, one of the best times I've seen them but when they said night 2 was no doubles I was gutted to miss it. 

Sorry this isn't The National thread. But when they headline The Other Stage that's where I'll be.

Just now, 1986 said:

I went to night 1, one of the best times I've seen them but when they said night 2 was no doubles I was gutted to miss it. 

Sorry this isn't The National thread. But when they headline The Other Stage that's where I'll be.

Yeah I was at Night 1 and was busy checking Twickets for Night 2 before Mrs J threatened to divorce me.

3 minutes ago, 1986 said:

In all seriousness, I think they're nailed on as Other Stage headliner. If Bruce Springsteen does somehow end up headlining the same night, that clash will be the stuff of nightmares for me.

1 minute ago, Krisesk said:

In all seriousness, I think they're nailed on as Other Stage headliner. If Bruce Springsteen does somehow end up headlining the same night, that clash will be the stuff of nightmares for me.

Ditto, seeing Springsteen in May but it would still be tough. Hopefully people's logic on the subject is sound and Dua will be on the Sunday or something.

If it is Bruce though, would him and The National have too much fan cross over for the counter programming to work? A lot of middle aged over sensitive rock fans would love to see both.

1 hour ago, glimmers_of_hope said:

The last Chemical Brothers album is fantastic, they have been in a purple patch for the last 3 albums. They did sell out O2 standing.  Was trying to get tickets and you could only get them through twickets.   I think critically and live they have been at their peak in the last 10 years.  They would make an awesome Pyramid headliner in every way. Visually, vibes, big tunes everything.  It's not "progressive" as they've done it before + it won't happen, they will be on the Other stage.  You are right though the festival can "do better" (get bigger) headliners...but they aren't past their peak.

They are my favourite act, look at my profile picture even!

That doesn't mean I don't think they are past their commercial peak. They don't even headline solo fests like IOW / Latitude these days.

51 minutes ago, km9 said:

Agreed. Some people on here are so hard to please. I don't think they realise that by knocking every suggestion that doesn't suit their exacting needs they are just feeding this never ending cycle of dissatisfaction. The festival is not there solely to entertain you and you alone, at some point you will have to accept that a headliner will not be your cup of tea.

If the festival was here to solely entertain me then they are more than welcome to book chems to headline, but they aren't!

Its a global event that should be booking global headliners, not acts that can't sell out the o2!

17 minutes ago, Ben7amin_ said:

Why - as previously explained the ever dwindling pool of acts deemed big enough to headline that are A- available & B - affordable 

Should the festival struggle to fill slots as may well be the case. .. 

People should be OK with it cos it's still a great booking.

They are not remotely close to being so desperate that they need to call up chems to do the pyramid 😂

There's at least 20 larger acts that have not played so recently that could do it

2 minutes ago, gfa said:

They are not remotely close to being so desperate that they need to call up chems to do the pyramid 😂

There's at least 20 larger acts that have not played so recently that could do it

Seeing as your refusing to get that I just used the Chems as an example (I did also say Pulp) 

I must officially request you name the 20

I will extend to you the same level of scrutiny by demanding all are available for the Glastonbury dates and within price range  

New years challange

Edited by Ben7amin_

4 minutes ago, 1986 said:

Ditto, seeing Springsteen in May but it would still be tough. Hopefully people's logic on the subject is sound and Dua will be on the Sunday or something.

If it is Bruce though, would him and The National have too much fan cross over for the counter programming to work? A lot of middle aged over sensitive rock fans would love to see both.

Are there many cases of Pyramid/Other headliners having a similar fanbase? A glance at the last two years suggests not.

I suppose the prospect of Bruce coming in as a replacement kind of explains any clash. The National/Madonna definitely fits better.

4 minutes ago, Ben7amin_ said:

Name them 

1) Bad Bunny

2) Foals

3) Liam Gallagher

4) Noel Gallagher

5) Frank Gallagher

6) Olivia Rodrigo

7) The National

8 Sam Fender

9) Sam Ryder

10) Sam Callahan from X factor season 10