2024 Headliners

22 minutes ago, northernringo said:

What do we actually know at this point in time?

• If Taylor plays, it can only be Sunday
  • Foo Fighters have a show in the UK on Thursday, then are free the rest of the weekend (wasn't there some talk they had a show in Fri/Sat too?)
  • Emily has said there could be 2 female headliners (https://www.somersetlive.co.uk/news/somerset-news/glastonbury-could-two-female-headliners-8210274)
    • Is there anywhere Emily has said there will be 2 female headliners?
    • Does anyone have a link to when Emily said they hadn't played before?
    • Headliners could maybe also mean Legend slot, or sub (like Lizzo this year)

To add to this:

• Foo Fighters never play consecutive days any more (even when doing multiple nights in the same city) - all that screaming means Dave's voice needs time to recover.
  • Dua Lipa, especially if she has new music, seems nailed on.
  • Wasn't the "lost" female headliner for this year supposed to be Rihanna?  Booked, then fell through when she got pregnant, and replaced with GnR?  

If I were betting on this, I'd be going for Dua Friday, Foos Saturday, and Rihanna or somebody like Coldplay Sunday - based on what we know at the moment about likely release/touring plans.

1 minute ago, maelzoid said:

But, would they have the wherewithal to actually get tickets? Given the announcements happen well after ticket day, are enough of them on the case to buy a ticket on a 'maybe'? Sure, a lot of TS fans are also Glastonbury fans and would be there, but are they the same 'nightmare' ones?

I actually think they would, there are fans who (somehow) go to every show and manage to be at the front for them all. I don't know how, I don't know why, but they do 😂 they're already buying tickets for the European leg of Eras from the States (and the European fans are fuming) 

1 minute ago, Rose-Colored Boy said:

Quite. The stuff of nightmares. 

There is no limit to the lengths Swifties will go to. None whatsoever. 

Actually in retrospect, they could easily get the deposit sorted and not buy the ticket after an announcement... A £20 loss would be nothing to them, would it?

7 minutes ago, goonerben said:

To add to this:

• Foo Fighters never play consecutive days any more (even when doing multiple nights in the same city) - all that screaming means Dave's voice needs time to recover.
  • Dua Lipa, especially if she has new music, seems nailed on.
  • Wasn't the "lost" female headliner for this year supposed to be Rihanna?  Booked, then fell through when she got pregnant, and replaced with GnR?  

If I were betting on this, I'd be going for Dua Friday, Foos Saturday, and Rihanna or somebody like Coldplay Sunday - based on what we know at the moment about likely release/touring plans.

Really can’t see Coldplay being out on the road again next summer, after finally wrapping up a tour that they’ll have been doing for 23 months by the time it finishes in February. You can never rule out them doing a special show for Glastonbury I guess but I think they’re more likely for 2025/2027. 

Edited by Rose-Colored Boy

Speaking as a Swiftie, there is no way Taylor Swift fans are going to bank on getting a Glastonbury ticket over the chance to see her at one of multiple stadium shows, across multiple countries. The odds are already slim. 

Most fans I know/have seen online are registering for almost every date on her tour.

The Singapore date alone has been registered for by over 8 million people (myself included, as it's during my honeymoon in Singapore), which is 3 million more than the entire population of Singapore.

I think there will undoubtedly be some Swiftie influence in the Glasto on-sale, but I think the tour is going to take the brunt of it.

3 minutes ago, LinvoyPrimus said:

Speaking as a Swiftie, there is no way Taylor Swift fans are going to bank on getting a Glastonbury ticket over the chance to see her at one of multiple stadium shows, across multiple countries. The odds are already slim. 

Most fans I know/have seen online are registering for almost every date on her tour.

The Singapore date alone has been registered for by over 8 million people (myself included, as it's during my honeymoon in Singapore), which is 3 million more than the entire population of Singapore.

I think there will undoubtedly be some Swiftie influence in the Glasto on-sale, but I think the tour is going to take the brunt of it.

Honestly, this has blown my mind 

3 minutes ago, Brad2434 said:

Can someone explain why there’s no chance of Taylor playing? She’s literally even odds by the bookies 

Tour dates means she could only possibly do Sunday; as well as having to cut her 3.5 hour setlist down to a festival friendly, shorter setlist with an almost certainty of an extra Dublin date being added due to demand before the a week break. Odds on the bookies mean nothing apart from more people betting on that artist - people tipping her after the all male headliners this year and previously being booked before COVID.

Edited by SpencerF

3 minutes ago, Brad2434 said:

Can someone explain why there’s no chance of Taylor playing? She’s literally even odds by the bookies 

She is already playing Dublin on Friday and Saturday.  In many cities when we get to presale, she has had a habit of adding a Sunday date, and may yet do this for Dublin.

Even if not, the logistics of spending a month in the UK, then heading to Ireland, then backtracking to Glastonbury, do not look great.

There is no way she can get the "Eras Tour" stage setup from Ireland to Glastonbury in what would effectively be less than 12 hours between walking off stage in Dublin on Saturday, and acts starting on the Pyramid on Sunday. - both time and space would completely prevent this.  

So she would be making a big backtrack, would have to rejig her production and (most likely) setlist, play a show that isn't like any other on the Eras Tour - and she may well announce another Dublin date which rules her out anyway!

Obviously the bookies are keen to take money from whoever wants to bet on this - but all feels very unlikely indeed.

24 minutes ago, goonerben said:

She is already playing Dublin on Friday and Saturday.  In many cities when we get to presale, she has had a habit of adding a Sunday date, and may yet do this for Dublin.

Even if not, the logistics of spending a month in the UK, then heading to Ireland, then backtracking to Glastonbury, do not look great.

There is no way she can get the "Eras Tour" stage setup from Ireland to Glastonbury in what would effectively be less than 12 hours between walking off stage in Dublin on Saturday, and acts starting on the Pyramid on Sunday. - both time and space would completely prevent this.  

So she would be making a big backtrack, would have to rejig her production and (most likely) setlist, play a show that isn't like any other on the Eras Tour - and she may well announce another Dublin date which rules her out anyway!

Obviously the bookies are keen to take money from whoever wants to bet on this - but all feels very unlikely indeed.

Elton has literally just done this though hasn’t he? Dumbed down his production & done a completely different setlist to his tour? 
I’m not saying I don’t agree with you by the way, I just think these reason can be seen from both ways. Already have a production set up in London from those shows etc 

2 hours ago, spcdust said:

Keep seeing Blur, Pulp and Depeche Mode being mentioned but I cannot see any of them headlining as, by this time next year, they very likely won't be touring.  Also, I get the impression Depeche are not overtly bothered about headlining Glastonbury.

I can see Depeche Mode adding dates in 2024 in Asia and Australia to their current World tour. Aswell as doing some UK arenas and these dates will be telling. I agree that they've never been fussed about headlining Glastonbury but they do seem like they have reached previous performance heights while touring the new Album.

1 hour ago, Brad2434 said:

Elton has literally just done this though hasn’t he? Dumbed down his production & done a completely different setlist to his tour? 
I’m not saying I don’t agree with you by the way, I just think these reason can be seen from both ways. Already have a production set up in London from those shows etc 

Elton took several days off from his tour, and even hired out Wembley Arena so he could use those days to rehearse the different set + guests.

And that's without any real choreography, staging, etc - it's pretty much him and his band playing the hits and nothing else. Whereas the TS tour is designed specifically around the very elaborate staging that cannot be even close to replicated at Glastonbury.

There's no chance TS makes those more substantial changes, overnight, with a infinitely more elaborate production and a flight needed (not just for her, but for dozens of people involved and you'd assume a substantial amount of kit).

Ultimately - while the Dublin shows don't technically rule out Glastonbury (yet), they absolutely do indicate it's very much not in the plans. if she was playing, then the Dublin shows would be scheduled differently - even if that just means they were a day or two earlier.

Anyone trying to pretend that it's even an possibility is utterly deluding themselves like a child who won't accept reality. It's frustrating that this is still even a conversation.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, incident said:

Elton took several days off from his tour, and even hired out Wembley Arena so he could use those days to rehearse the different set + guests.

And that's without any real choreography, staging, etc - it's pretty much him and his band playing the hits and nothing else. Whereas the TS tour is designed specifically around the very elaborate staging that cannot be even close to replicated at Glastonbury.

There's no chance TS makes those more substantial changes, overnight, with a infinitely more elaborate production and a flight needed (not just for her, but for dozens of people involved and you'd assume a substantial amount of kit).

Ultimately - while the Dublin shows don't technically rule out Glastonbury (yet), they absolutely do indicate it's very much not in the plans. if she was playing, then the Dublin shows would be scheduled differently - even if that just means they were a day or two earlier.

Anyone trying to pretend that it's even an possibility is utterly deluding themselves like a child who won't accept reality. It's frustrating that this is still even a conversation.

I mean she could literally have two identical sets of stage sets & equipment.

One is in Dublin the night before 

One is probably already at Glasto delivered earlier in the week. 

Then you just have to move the people

Taylor can afford two sets and a few helicopters.....

I dont think this is the challange you are making it out to be.

Just now, AVALON.G said:

I mean she could literally have two identical sets of stage sets & equipment.

One is in Dublin the night before 

One is probably already at Glasto delivered earlier in the week. 

Then you just have to move the people

Taylor can afford two sets and a few helicopters.....

I dont think this is the challange you are making it out to be.

In what world is this even vaguely compatible with the Pyramid Stage layout?

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FrdpmUuXsAAzOsT?format=jpg&name=medium

The show is built around using that large open space (and hidden trickery contained within), and would need to be entirely re-choreographed to fit the vastly different setup. Overnight. And so given the time constraints largely unrehearsed. Not even the vaguest chance it happens.

As I said - anyone still trying to pretend this is possible is basically a child refusing to accept what's undeniable.

5 minutes ago, incident said:

In what world is this even vaguely compatible with the Pyramid Stage layout?

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FrdpmUuXsAAzOsT?format=jpg&name=medium

The show is built around using that large open space (and hidden trickery contained within), and would need to be entirely re-choreographed to fit the vastly different setup. Overnight. And so given the time constraints largely unrehearsed. Not even the vaguest chance it happens.

As I said - anyone still trying to pretend this is possible is basically a child refusing to accept what's undeniable.

I mean it does not have to be identical 

She can have one tweaked for Glastonbury 

Or even specially designed.....

Rehearsals can happen in advance Taylor does not strike me as a last minuet kind of performer she would probably 

I'm sure artists have completed changed there stage set up and choreography for Gladtonbury before so again I'm not sure anything you have said here is a blocker..

1 minute ago, AVALON.G said:

I mean it does not have to be identical 

She can have one tweaked for Glastonbury 

Or even specially designed.....

Rehearsals can happen in advance Taylor does not strike me as a last minuet kind of performer she would probably 

I'm sure artists have completed changed there stage set up and choreography for Gladtonbury before so again I'm not sure anything you have said here is a blocker..

"Rehearsals can happen in advance" is the ultimate clutching at straws. Rehearsing a whole new show with a new set of choreography to fit into a vastly different space while simultaneously continuing to perform the tour show most nights is just asking for trouble. Someone will f**k up, get confused, or whatever on one show or the other. It ain't happening.

But it's clear you're desperate to find any reason to cling on to this belief no matter how ludicrous it is, so I'll stop now. I'll be proven right sooner or later.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Just now, maelzoid said:

Although I don't think Swift is playing there is precedent here with U2 who played here:

image.thumb.png.eeb139cdbe8e35644e869686d7bdd7eb.png

And two days later headlined Glastonbury, before returning to play another stadium show 2 days after.

U2 have exactly zero choreography though. It's 4 blokes with some guitars and a drum kit - they could (and do) literally set up anywhere and play - the staging is a nice gimmick for their tour but ultimately unnecessary. The only difference is Bono running* around side to side instead of in a circle.

*actually, given the weather that night, mostly standing still entirely.