2024 Festival

Chad888

On 4/13/2024 at 1:00 PM, nathanh said:

Having just watched Lanas Coachella headline slot I am so ready for her headline on the saturday

Also why are we so certain Fred will close out?

He's listed above her on the Leeds website if you click on the acts by stage. 

Just saw Lanas Coachella set, it's a big upset that she is going to be playing while the sun's up. 

I'd think Fred's set partying while the sun sets, and then Lana to bring out that end of the night melancholy would be so much better.

It'll be like nightclub DJs opening the night with Mr Brightside!

On 4/13/2024 at 10:48 AM, nathanh said:

Its lacking BIG names on the undercard that will get the kids in but this year is still looking strong for me. The way I described it to my family when they asked me about it is this year is critically acclaimed artists as opposed to the most popular artists and as a music fan, im here for that.

Lacking big names on the undercard TODAY.

I think in 20 years people will be looking at this lineup and say how stacked it was, because 10 or so names have headlined and others are big well known names that would shift tickets in 2044.

Back in 2004 you had Razlorlight 7th down, The Streets 5th down, Bloc Party opening R1 stage, Alexisonfire on their Pit stage, and Kaiser Chiefs on the introducing stage.

32 minutes ago, Chad888 said:

Lacking big names on the undercard TODAY.

I think in 20 years people will be looking at this lineup and say how stacked it was, because 10 or so names have headlined and others are big well known names that would shift tickets in 2044.

Back in 2004 you had Razlorlight 7th down, The Streets 5th down, Bloc Party opening R1 stage, Alexisonfire on their Pit stage, and Kaiser Chiefs on the introducing stage.

The only problem being it’s not 2044

2004 was also THE worst Reading festival I’ve been to out of 25 (and I went to two Two Main Stage Festivals)

Even if 5 or 6 bands go on to become massive, it doesn’t stop it necessarily being shite today… esp as today you can easily listen to all those bands lower down and determine that you don’t like them right now…

That said, I’ve not yet and looking forward to doing so, I’ll no doubt find a couple of crackers 

Edited by Benj

34 minutes ago, Chad888 said:

Just saw Lanas Coachella set, it's a big upset that she is going to be playing while the sun's up. 

I'd think Fred's set partying while the sun sets, and then Lana to bring out that end of the night melancholy would be so much better.

It'll be like nightclub DJs opening the night with Mr Brightside!

Closing DJs makes far more sense

Build the energy up and then unleash it one go at the end

There's a reason why Latitude / IOW / Victorious have closing djs sometimes, its a well proven formula!

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Benj said:

The only problem being it’s not 2044

2004 was also THE worst Reading festival I’ve been to out of 25 (and I went to two Two Main Stage Festivals)

Even if 5 or 6 bands go on to become massive, it doesn’t stop it necessarily being shite today… esp as today you can easily listen to all those bands lower down and determine that you don’t like them right now…

That said, I’ve not yet and looking forward to doing so, I’ll no doubt find a couple of crackers 

I am fully with you, and this has been the drum I've banged for the last 4 years. 

They haven't been giving an undercard to enjoy and instead everybody sits in the campsite drinking and getting more wound up, then after the final show they unleash that pent up frustration by rioting/burning things down.

When you look at 2018 festival, it was derided as awful at the time, and it really started the kick off into the 'end times' and regeneration of the festival. Looking back at the lineup, it was actually quite stacked with artists that made it big.

Most people on here responding to my complaining always said "it just shows FRs ability at spotting talent, they can tell who will be big and thats a bonus". 

BMTH and Biffy Clyro starting out playing 10th Main Stage is a far different band and show to BMTH and Biffy headliners.

Edited by Chad888

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, gfa said:

Closing DJs makes far more sense

Build the energy up and then unleash it one go at the end

There's a reason why Latitude / IOW / Victorious have closing djs sometimes, its a well proven formula!

It's got to be a generational thing, 15 years ago club DJs used to play the banger Dance tracks as a penultimate set, and then finish the night with slow anthems that every drunk person can hook up with their pull, or have arms round mates to sway back and forth and sing along.

Fred Again gets everyone jumping, happy, dancing, brings up the atmosphere. Lana comes in to knock them down and have them hugging each other in melancholic tears and emotion.

But I guess times have changed. Its a shame, it makes me feel old, but let's get on with the new era.

Edited by Chad888

7 hours ago, Chad888 said:

I am fully with you, and this has been the drum I've banged for the last 4 years. 

They haven't been giving an undercard to enjoy and instead everybody sits in the campsite drinking and getting more wound up, then after the final show they unleash that pent up frustration by rioting/burning things down.

When you look at 2018 festival, it was derided as awful at the time, and it really started the kick off into the 'end times' and regeneration of the festival. Looking back at the lineup, it was actually quite stacked with artists that made it big.

Most people on here responding to my complaining always said "it just shows FRs ability at spotting talent, they can tell who will be big and thats a bonus". 

BMTH and Biffy Clyro starting out playing 10th Main Stage is a far different band and show to BMTH and Biffy headliners.

I always said, as part of my 2 main stage whining, that one of the issues it would cause them long term is that as line ups aged they’d look worse than prior ones with more stages. It’s simple maths.

Less acts will clearly mean less acts that make it big in future.

There was also a heightened chance they’d miss out on the next Eilish or Post Malone

You look back at 2021 now and who’s properly popped from that? Jack Harlow maybe? Humberston next biggest shout?

Otherwise I can’t see many acts at all that would play much higher, with actual excitement and it’s hard to see many growing at this point 

2022 looks similar. There’s not much there you can see getting much bigger. A few acts have moved from FR to low main but that’s about it

I think as much is probably caused by how music is consumed now too, people get less big in the main, people have big songs vs big catalogues.

Im not sure it will ever come close when you look at lineups as a whole. It doesn’t mean you won’t see a lot of great music or have a great time though

17 hours ago, Chad888 said:

It's got to be a generational thing, 15 years ago club DJs used to play the banger Dance tracks as a penultimate set, and then finish the night with slow anthems that every drunk person can hook up with their pull, or have arms round mates to sway back and forth and sing along.

Fred Again gets everyone jumping, happy, dancing, brings up the atmosphere. Lana comes in to knock them down and have them hugging each other in melancholic tears and emotion.

But I guess times have changed. Its a shame, it makes me feel old, but let's get on with the new era.

The first paragraph is still the case

However this is one of the UK's premier music festivals, not Q Club (other shite clubs are available)

I think you misjudge how a lot of people react to fred again, i've caught him a few times and people will be doing all of the things you described for him AND all of the things described for Lana.

Sure Fred Again has Rumble or whatever but he also has we've lost dancing, delilah etc.

He makes whats branded 'emotional dance music' - heck he often closes with Billie (loving arms) where everyone ends up just hugging their mates (a phenomenon i've noticed multiple times when i've seen him).

Just noticed that Fontaines' new single is set to be their first song to chart in the UK Top 100. Hopefully they get a great crowd this year.

Interestingly, it's looking to chart higher than AJ Tracey's new single (which could miss the Top 100 altogether) - not something I'd have predicted a couple of years ago! 

It seems to be a bit of a tough time for UK rap if you name isn't Central Cee or Dave. Even Headie One's new collab with Stormzy is going to barely scrape the Top 40 - that would've been a Top 10 hit in 2019. 

Edited by WhoOdyssey

1 hour ago, WhoOdyssey said:

Interestingly, it's looking to chart higher than AJ Tracey's new single (which could miss the Top 100 altogether) - not something I'd have predicted a couple of years ago! 

It seems to be a bit of a tough time for UK rap if you name isn't Central Cee or Dave. Even Headie One's new collab with Stormzy is going to barely scrape the Top 40 - that would've been a Top 10 hit in 2019. 

Just standard trend rotation, it was never gonna last long, esp in the modern age when everything moves quicker.

Esp for a genre where there is so many acts based on hype that can’t be maintained 

A lot of it already already seems horribly cliched and laughably bad, like Britpop acts in the early 00s

Which acts from that scene will actially have legs?  Stormzy, Dave… who else?

16 hours ago, WhoOdyssey said:

Just noticed that Fontaines' new single is set to be their first song to chart in the UK Top 100. Hopefully they get a great crowd this year.

Starburster is a jam. I've never put time aside to check them out but will definitely be there this year!

14 hours ago, WhoOdyssey said:

I think Aitch has a decent fanbase. Although we'll see how true that is soon as he released his first single in quite a while today.

If he fails it will deffo be a sign the scene had pretty much gone.

Are there any new Ardees, or whoever coming out this year?  

We're also still not sure if there's gonna be a 1 Xtra tent at all this year are we?

Fontaines will be busy with the people who like indie / rock

but plenty of people won't care and won't even know who they are and will be elsewhere - definitely not going to be a massive crowd, likely similar crowd to what Wombats etc get whenever they play

2 hours ago, gfa said:

Fontaines will be busy with the people who like indie / rock

but plenty of people won't care and won't even know who they are and will be elsewhere - definitely not going to be a massive crowd, likely similar crowd to what Wombats etc get whenever they play

Yup, they’re not a mainstream band and won’t bring a mainstream crowd

Not much else for people to see yet mind…

Without a 5th stage, yet alone 6th, things currently are looking as bare as the last 3 years

On 4/26/2024 at 12:45 PM, Benj said:

If he fails it will deffo be a sign the scene had pretty much gone.

Are there any new Ardees, or whoever coming out this year?  

We're also still not sure if there's gonna be a 1 Xtra tent at all this year are we?

Well, Aitch's new single debuted at #198 on Spotify and didn't make the Top 200 on Apple Music - so make of that what you will!

No new ArrDees coming through it seems. Looking through the latest chart now, there are only 4 UK rap songs in the entire Top 100. 

Edited by WhoOdyssey