2024 Festival

Chad888

Just now, Benj said:

I’m sorry they’re hugely similar and I listen to a HUGE amount of female indie

They are nothing like Boy Genius, Alvvays, Feeble little horse, Slow pulp, Samoa, Miami, they are VERY much like Wet Leg though (a bit like Mitski too in parts actually)

They just don't sound like Wet Leg at all, I don't know what you mean by that.

You're right that they don't sound like the other artists you listed either, or at least the ones that I know.

I can hear some similarities in sound between Florence + The Machine and TLDP. Also a lot of 70s music.

Wet Leg, literally nothing. Everything about their songwriting style is so different.

19 minutes ago, SomeoneListeningIn said:

So what does the term 'industry plant' actually mean to you then. I understand having a problem with big labels and their marketing tactics, but industry plant sounds way more sinister and orchestrated than that.

If you actually took time to look up The Last Dinner Party and their story you'd see that they became pretty prolific and talked about in the London indie scene over 2022/2023 because of their live show. Obviously they got signed as a result, released their first single which got more of a push than most artists are as lucky to have, but a song doesn't become that instantly popular without it actually being good.

They obviously have a sound that's struck a chord with people, as is evident from their notoriety on the scene before they were signed and the success/popularity of the singles released after they were signed. They wrote those songs and curated their live show themselves. They've had a great push from their label to get them where they currently are, yeah, but not all music has to be the most ground breaking thing in the world to be considered good.

It’s purely the marketing for me, personal opinion of course but musically I think TLDP and Wet Leg are two of hundreds of bands with a similar(ish) sound. Not saying TLDP haven’t put the work in but they’ll probably be announced in a 4pm main stage slot at R&L tomorrow having played 300 cap venues last year. It’s a big rise and they’ve obviously got something going for them but it’s been an inflated rise. I’d not heard of them before their recent round of interviews off the back of the Brit Award Rising Star award

Edited by andyrhodes24

5 hours ago, andyrhodes24 said:

Genuine question but is Raye genuinely decent or is she being driven by industry, awards and reviews?

Just think it's important to point out these two are not mutually exclusive. Sometimes artists get a big push BECAUSE they're good (i.e., The Last Dinner Party)

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, rivalschools.price said:

If the Last Dinner Party and Wet Leg are industry plants, can they plant some more please?

Aye love them both (as they’re ver similar 😶)

The Last Dinner Party are not an industry plant. They're a band who did a lot of work behind the scenes before they played, perfected their live show rapidly, got quickly picked up by a label who have rightfully pushed them hard, because they're great and the album is gonna make the label a lot of money. There's clips of them playing online from before they were picked up by a label.

Unless that *is* what an industry plant is, in which case, why is it remotely worth talking about?

2 minutes ago, wro_lap said:

Just think it's important to point out these two are not mutually exclusive. Sometimes artists get a big push BECAUSE they're good (i.e., The Last Dinner Party)

Yup. LDP are v good. I wouldn’t be surprised if we get some more copy cats in future that are less good pushed our way. 

It’s far more of a meritocracy than it used to be either way…

• Like 1

Just now, wro_lap said:

Unlike Wet Leg who got the push because people at The Guardian and their local vegan cafe thought they were cool

Just now, andyrhodes24 said:

It’s purely the marketing for me, personal opinion of course but musically I think TLDP and Wet Leg are two of hundreds of bands with a similar(ish) sound. Not saying TLDP haven’t put the work in but they’ll probably be announced in a 4pm main stage slot at R&L tomorrow having played 300 cap venues last year. It’s a big rise and they’ve obviously got something going for them but it’s not been an organic rise. I’d not heard of them before their recent round of interviews off the back of the Brit Award Rising Star award

I first heard about them on the day they released Nothing Matters because a friend of mine tweeted it. Thought it was class straight away and you could see that the initial response was overwhelmingly positive - that was the first time so many people had ever heard of them (unless you were active in the London gig scene). Obviously now the amount of people who are listening to them is way, way higher than that, but it was clear from the start to me that they had a sound that was resonating with people.

I saw them play at midday at Glastonbury, they had a decent crowd for the time of day and it was a great show. Think they had 2 songs out by then but I remember walking away thinking the whole set was solid and they're clearly talented songwriters/performers.

I think they've been picked up as a result back of all this stuff. Those in the industry will be able to see that they're really resonating with people and so will obviously want to be involved.

Obviously now in the run up to their album release the marketing has been mad, (Graham Norton, Brits/BBC Sound of etc.) and it looks like Nothing Matters is gonna be in the top 40 this week. But fundamentally what they've built from an artistic standpoint has been completely organic.

If you just have a problem with capitalism interacting and influencing the music industry then I'm with you, but that shouldn't detract from their art and performance.

8 minutes ago, SomeoneListeningIn said:

I can hear some similarities in sound between Florence + The Machine and TLDP. Also a lot of 70s music.

Wet Leg, literally nothing. Everything about their songwriting style is so different.

And again this is where this probably just becomes completely subjective, I don’t get the Florence thing at all bar the vocals…

Not listened to much Florence mind. Should really

5 minutes ago, wro_lap said:

3 minutes ago, wro_lap said:

The Last Dinner Party are not an industry plant. They're a band who did a lot of work behind the scenes before they played, perfected their live show rapidly, got quickly picked up by a label who have rightfully pushed them hard, because they're great and the album is gonna make the label a lot of money. There's clips of them playing online from before they were picked up by a label.

Unless that *is* what an industry plant is, in which case, why is it remotely worth talking about?

Agree with both of these, especially your last point which goes back to what I originally said - it's so tedious.

2 minutes ago, andyrhodes24 said:

Unlike Wet Leg who got the push because people at The Guardian and their local vegan cafe thought they were cool

You basically insinuated this about TLDP before too.

1 minute ago, wro_lap said:

Funnily enough in one of the interviews I read (BBC I think) they were talking about how they were playing a South London pub with 30 people in the crowd and a videographer with an indie YouTube channel was randomly there filming. He did a video on them and it helped them grow and get signed. I do like stories like that in all fairness

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, andyrhodes24 said:

Funnily enough in one of the interviews I read (BBC I think) they were talking about how they were playing a South London pub with 30 people in the crowd and a videographer with an indie YouTube channel was randomly there filming. He did a video on them and it helped them grow and get signed. I do like stories like that in all fairness

Super cool. Makes you wonder how many of our favourite bands from an alternate reality we've never heard as that videographer was never there. Butterfly effect innit.

8 minutes ago, andyrhodes24 said:

Why’s that a problem?

How is it any different from journalists at NME and some lads in the pub thinking Oasis were cool?

2 minutes ago, wro_lap said:

Super cool. Makes you wonder how many of our favourite bands from an alternate reality we've never heard as that videographer was never there. Butterfly effect innit.

Same with pretty much every band in history one way or another I imagine

21 hours ago, Benj said:

Thinking about it this way, it clearly looks like they're trying to get an older crowd back in on weekend tickets.

I can't see huge swathes of weekend kids being too hyped about ending their nights at Blink or Gallagher. I certainly wouldn't at 18.  Hopefully the dance tent will meet their needs on those nights

Lots of people will be excited for LG just like 3 years ago

If your not excited for the closing headliner its not really the end of the world, can't expect to like all 6 at such a varied fest like Reading. Good opportunity to get over to the silent discos early

18 hours ago, Aromaticmusic1 said:

New TikTok has Taylor swift playing in the background. I know it’s a huge long shot but your dates line up and she’d be in the uk. Could it be possible for one of the new announcements to be the introduction of a Thursday headliner or is that just me being delusional

idea is stupid act wise, but just wanted to say this will not happen due to licensing reasons. Reading is disruptive enough to the town centre 🙂 

25 minutes ago, Trnsmt12311 said:

Bored at work let's create some excitement! Who do we think are going to be announced? 

Ice Spice

Creeper

Fontaines DC

JPEGMafia

Neck Deep

The Wombats

Two Door Cinema Club

The Streets

Loathe

Four Tet (please)

Deftones (please)

Edited by CapnOrange