2024 Festival

Chad888

7 hours ago, Benj said:

Of course you can, It’s like the whole “number 1 album thing”.

Way more people go to live music these days than they did 15 years ago

From Google Bard, so pinch of salt needed but it reckons live music attendance in the UK is up 40% since 2010…

Pretty much all middling bands do Arena tours these days, didn’t Don Broco do one the other day?

Im not saying they’re sh*t or small or anything but selling (note it’s not sold out) a 7 night arena tour with an average capacity of 5k a night is 35,000 tickets…

If they do 15 nights at 2,000 sized capacity venues next tour are they suddenly much smaller?

Talk of them headlining Download is mad. They headlined the 3rd stage there in 2019…

They headlined the third stage at Download and R&L in 2019 by choice as they were on a tour of venues smaller than what they’d played in a few years. They’re comfortably bigger than usual third stage fodder at both festivals.  We’re both in agreement they aren’t getting near headlining Download but they’re absolutely a solid shout for a sub band.

Their upcoming tour is: 

Leeds Arena - 13k 

Nottingham Arena - 10k 

Edinburgh Academy - 3k 

Victoria Warehouse x2 - 7k 

Wembley Arena - 12.5k 

Thats upwards of 45k. They won’t sell it out completely but I’m sure they’ll still sell it well. It’s the biggest tour they’ve ever done. 

3 hours ago, Andre91 said:

They headlined the third stage at Download and R&L in 2019 by choice as they were on a tour of venues smaller than what they’d played in a few years. They’re comfortably bigger than usual third stage fodder at both festivals.  We’re both in agreement they aren’t getting near headlining Download but they’re absolutely a solid shout for a sub band.

Their upcoming tour is: 

Leeds Arena - 13k 

Nottingham Arena - 10k 

Edinburgh Academy - 3k 

Victoria Warehouse x2 - 7k 

Wembley Arena - 12.5k 

Thats upwards of 45k. They won’t sell it out completely but I’m sure they’ll still sell it well. It’s the biggest tour they’ve ever done. 

You missed Cardiff at another 5k

There’s no chance they’re getting close selling out Leeds or Nottingham.

They’re not ‘bigger’ than they were 10 years back, more people go to live music and their fans are just 10 years older and have more disposable income to see them.

Them and Don Broco have 600,000ish global Spotify listeners. Selling (not selling out) an arena tour these days is no big deal

11 hours ago, Benj said:

Of course you can, It’s like the whole “number 1 album thing”.

Way more people go to live music these days than they did 15 years ago

From Google Bard, so pinch of salt needed but it reckons live music attendance in the UK is up 40% since 2010…

Pretty much all middling bands do Arena tours these days, didn’t Don Broco do one the other day?

Im not saying they’re sh*t or small or anything but selling (note it’s not sold out) a 7 night arena tour with an average capacity of 5k a night is 35,000 tickets…

If they do 15 nights at 2,000 sized capacity venues next tour are they suddenly much smaller?

Talk of them headlining Download is mad. They headlined the 3rd stage there in 2019…

I hate to both sides, but I think your both right.

Enter Shikari were "bigger" back then in 07-09, that is when they released their premium stuff, they were the in thing etc.

Enter Shikari have a bigger reach now thanks to platforms, and therefore can draw in more casuals, some of which will enjoy enough to fork out a minor £30 for a show (that's 4.5 pints in a pub now).

Don't forget, even in 09, we didn't have the tech we do now. It was catching a song on Kerrang FM on the radio in your bedroom, burning CDs onto iTunes, limewire aids and uploading to an ipod shuffle that held 100 songs, or listening to music on the street via the one friend that had the Sony Walkman mobile phone. 2010-12 we only just got Blackberry's with BBM and then the whole touch phones and music platforms came afterwards.

More people watched Birmingham City unveil Wayne Rooney as manager 2 days ago, than they watched when Birmingham won the Carling Cup in 2011. It doesn't mean they are bigger now, it's just more easily accessible to a casual.

• Upvote 1

43 minutes ago, Chad888 said:

I hate to both sides, but I think your both right.

Enter Shikari were "bigger" back then in 07-09, that is when they released their premium stuff, they were the in thing etc.

Enter Shikari have a bigger reach now thanks to platforms, and therefore can draw in more casuals, some of which will enjoy enough to fork out a minor £30 for a show (that's 4.5 pints in a pub now).

Don't forget, even in 09, we didn't have the tech we do now. It was catching a song on Kerrang FM on the radio in your bedroom, burning CDs onto iTunes, limewire aids and uploading to an ipod shuffle that held 100 songs, or listening to music on the street via the one friend that had the Sony Walkman mobile phone. 2010-12 we only just got Blackberry's with BBM and then the whole touch phones and music platforms came afterwards.

More people watched Birmingham City unveil Wayne Rooney as manager 2 days ago, than they watched when Birmingham won the Carling Cup in 2011. It doesn't mean they are bigger now, it's just more easily accessible to a casual.

For me to both sides it then, I guess they're much bigger now if their reach is that much larger!

I guess ultimately we're comparing two very different metrics. They're audience is now probably bigger, their demand per audience member much less so...

If they had the reach of 2023 x demand/ hype of 07-09, they'd be selling out those venues no problem at all.

15 minutes ago, Andre91 said:

You two are mental. A band that sells more tickets now than they did previously makes them a bigger band. 

If that is your sole metric, then yes, this is their 'biggest' tour (may still not be their biggest ticket selling one mind).

There's loads of bands that do these reunion tours now etc now that sell a load of tickets despite them being not slightly the same level they were when they actually a going concern. They are not bigger, they just have pent up demand and a fan base that now has disposable income to spend on tickets.

To be fair to Shikari, they're far from that and if you choose to ignore the facts that live music attendance has increased by 50% since they formed, their fan base is now 15 years older with the freedom and income to more easily see them, then yes, they may be 'bigger'.

Oasis could come back next year, easily sell more tickets than they did at their late 90s peak. Would they be bigger? No chance in my eyes.

Blur sell out 2 nights at Wembley. Are they bigger than they were in 97?  No chance in my eyes.

Edited by Benj

3 hours ago, Andre91 said:

You two are mental. A band that sells more tickets now than they did previously makes them a bigger band. 

Normally I'd agree with you but post covid gig ticket demand is generally mad. We are also talking about reunions rather than current bands releasing a new albums every few years.

I think there is a difference between peak period for a band a reunion hype sales. I'm not saying which it is etc but there it is not black and white.

I don't see Oasis returning now for multiple stadium shows as making them bigger than they were, I see it as selling a shed load of tickets off of reunion hype.

13 minutes ago, northernangel said:

Normally I'd agree with you but post covid gig ticket demand is generally mad. We are also talking about reunions rather than current bands releasing a new albums every few years.

I think there is a difference between peak period for a band a reunion hype sales. I'm not saying which it is etc but there it is not black and white.

I don't see Oasis returning now for multiple stadium shows as making them bigger than they were, I see it as selling a shed load of tickets off of reunion hype.

Don Broco and Enter Shikari did arena tours before the pandemic too. 

Oasis could do a month at Wembley stadium. That makes them bigger than ever. There’s a difference between how big a band is and the tickets they sell and whether they’re culturally relevant. Tickets sales are the biggest indicator of a bands pull, not whether they’re a household name or not. 

Edited by Andre91

30 minutes ago, Andre91 said:

Oasis could do a month at Wembley stadium. That makes them bigger than ever. There’s a difference between how big a band is and the tickets they sell and whether they’re culturally relevant. Tickets sales are the biggest indicator of a bands pull, not whether they’re a household name or not. 

I don't know what them two bands how to do with this except for your love of them, but based on Shikari, they did an arena tour, not tours. Ally Pally, Cardiff and Nottingham isn't really a tour the year before their main one. Cardiff is very small for an arena and way out the way then a North and South venue of 10k.

No one said about a house hold name but I do not believe Oasis coming back now makes them bigger than before. Reunions hype means a mass of stadium shows they will sell out, that doesn't make them a bigger band than they were in my opinion.  You are entitled to yours, I don't think you are wrong for that.

15 minutes ago, northernangel said:

I don't know what them two bands how to do with this except for your love of them, but based on Shikari, they did an arena tour, not tours. Ally Pally, Cardiff and Nottingham isn't really a tour the year before their main one. Cardiff is very small for an arena and way out the way then a North and South venue of 10k.

No one said about a house hold name but I do not believe Oasis coming back now makes them bigger than before. Reunions hype means a mass of stadium shows they will sell out, that doesn't make them a bigger band than they were in my opinion.  You are entitled to yours, I don't think you are wrong for that.

Shikari did an arena tour in 2016 on the back of The Mindsweep and then another in 2017 in support of The Spark. 

1 hour ago, Andre91 said:

So by “Big” you simply mean current live ticket demand…?

Alone it’s as blunt as Spotify listens…

Bands bigger than they’ve ever been-

Pearl Jam

RHCP

The Killers

My Chemical Romance

The Kooks

Toploader

Edited by Benj
  • Like 1

40 minutes ago, Benj said:

So by “Big” you simply mean current live ticket demand…?

Alone it’s as blunt as Spotify listens…

Bands bigger than they’ve ever been-

Pearl Jam

RHCP

The Killers

My Chemical Romance

The Kooks

Toploader

And Madonna, forgot her

7 hours ago, Andre91 said:

So the 2.2 million that watched Birminghams Wayne Rooney press conference makes them a bigger club than the 1.2 million that tuned in to watch them win the Carling Cup final 10 years ago.

Blink-182 will do a tour next year. I can guarantee that it will sell more than any tour they've done before. 

I would not at all argue that they are bigger now than they were 20 years ago.

They would sell more tickets because of the FOMO, the fans that were to young to watch now being old enough, rose tinted glasses, the ones that want to feel young again, the kids that want to join a hype train.

None of that means they are bigger, just more profitable because of member berries. When all is done, people won't listen back to their 2023 releases, they will listen to their 2008 releases.

Arctic Monkeys and Star Wars are perfect examples. More tickets sold, everybody buys them based on what they once were.

54 minutes ago, Chad888 said:

Blink-182 will do a tour next year. I can guarantee that it will sell more than any tour they've done before. 

I would not at all argue that they are bigger now than they were 20 years ago.

They would sell more tickets because of the FOMO, the fans that were to young to watch now being old enough, rose tinted glasses, the ones that want to feel young again, the kids that want to join a hype train.

None of that means they are bigger, just more profitable because of member berries. When all is done, people won't listen back to their 2023 releases, they will listen to their 2008 releases.

Arctic Monkeys and Star Wars are perfect examples. More tickets sold, everybody buys them based on what they once were.

2008?

They released nothing between 2003 and 2011 and nothing anyone has listened to since 2003

Interstingly the appetite (for shows and new music) seems greater now than it did in 2011, again I suspect that’s social media created as opposed to anything else, the gaps in hiatuses are roughly similar but they’re obv miles further away from the peak now

Edited by Benj

1 hour ago, Chad888 said:

So the 2.2 million that watched Birminghams Wayne Rooney press conference makes them a bigger club than the 1.2 million that tuned in to watch them win the Carling Cup final 10 years ago.

Who f**king cares about Wayne Rooney or Birmingham City, you mad bastard. 

Edited by Andre91
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, northernangel said:

As I said, was academy dates and Cardiff then Ally Pally and Nottingham really an arena tour?

You do have a bias streak when it comes to your favourite bands.

Alright then. The Wombats sell more tickets than they ever have done. That makes them a bigger band than they were in 2008 when people initially gave a sh*t about them. 

1 minute ago, Andre91 said:

Alright then. The Wombats sell more tickets than they ever have done. That makes them a bigger band than they were in 2008 when people initially gave a sh*t about them. 

You are wrong here. The Wombats are a band a lot of people give a sh*t about now, they've gone through their resurgence and withstood it to where people actually go to see them because they like them.

The Womats are very definitely a band that are center of the liked indie options at the minute. They don't get booked as much as they do for festivals etc now because people don't like them.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, northernangel said:

You are wrong here. The Wombats are a band a lot of people give a sh*t about now, they've gone through their resurgence and withstood it to where people actually go to see them because they like them.

The Womats are very definitely a band that are center of the liked indie options at the minute. They don't get booked as much as they do for festivals etc now because people don't like them.

It’s no different. People go and see Enter Shikari and know all the words to whatever new album they’re touring. 

This argument is stupid. Ticket sales are the biggest thing that matters. End of story. 

• Like 2