2024 Festival

Chad888

On 9/16/2023 at 12:58 PM, Benj said:

Yup. They deffo should get Royal Blood in to headline instead that would be properly more exciting

QOTSA too, playing songs that people gave a slight sh*t about in 2006 👍🏼

Real rock for real men 🤘Grrrrr

QOTSA's last album absolutely knocked it out of the park, probably up there with their best stuff, and I would gladly have them back at R&L. I'm also pretty sure they have female fans too.

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, FloorFiller said:

The couple of snippets they played in their announcement trailer all sounded much better than Edging, and even if the entire album sucks, there will definitely be an appetite for them at the festival. Reckon their day will be a big seller regardless of who else is playing.

Exactly. Will be a big seller not doubt, there’s clearly a fair bit of demand unsatisfied after their tour sold so quickly  

Few will care a jot about the new album though given neighborhoods and dogs eating dogs were massively ignored despite being decent

good to hear they sound alright though. One of the few bands from 20+ years ago who I’m actually interested in hearing, despite them being, well Blink!

6 hours ago, Benj said:

Exactly. Will be a big seller not doubt, there’s clearly a fair bit of demand unsatisfied after their tour sold so quickly  

Few will care a jot about the new album though given neighborhoods and dogs eating dogs were massively ignored despite being decent

good to hear they sound alright though. One of the few bands from 20+ years ago who I’m actually interested in hearing, despite them being, well Blink!

They’re pretty much made for festival slots with how many well known songs they have. Even your average listener knows a handful of songs. Plus they seem to have sorted Toms vocals out live (no doubt through a filter but sounds way better than when he was last playing with them)    

The coachella slots helped shoot them back in to the mainstream for sure  

I personally hated Neighbourhoods, dogs was alright though. They just didn’t promote it much so it got overlooked. They’ve gone in heavy to promote this album though so gonna be a decent return for them no doubt. 

6 hours ago, jcarb said:

They’re pretty much made for festival slots with how many well known songs they have. Even your average listener knows a handful of songs. Plus they seem to have sorted Toms vocals out live (no doubt through a filter but sounds way better than when he was last playing with them)    

The coachella slots helped shoot them back in to the mainstream for sure  

I personally hated Neighbourhoods, dogs was alright though. They just didn’t promote it much so it got overlooked. They’ve gone in heavy to promote this album though so gonna be a decent return for them no doubt. 

Neighborhoods isn’t really a Blink LP (bar a couple of songs) it’s not a bad record though

36 minutes ago, Benj said:

She’s too big for MSE as things stand today

No chance R&L could afford what she asked…for next year

Her tour is smaller than several recent headliners e.g. AM, The Killers

Its a pretty similar size to Billie's last outing

Who do we think is nailed on then?

Blink-182 new album coming out, off the back of a tour

Paramore supporting Taylor Swift in Europe in August

Greenday and Dua Lipa both have new albums out early next year

Travis Scott released a big album recently

Post Malone new album and has history with the festival

Kasabian long due back

Foo Fighters are touring Europe from June but Melvin said no

George Ezra as a possible outside name to fill that Disclosure/Lewis Capaldi pop MSW slot

Queens of the Stone Age are being touted for Sziget and they share most acts with R&L

I do know that FR are shifting focus to selling weekend tickets over day tickets, because weekend goers are more likely to use the bars and food options around the site. Therefore they want to provide a more stacked undercard to get people into the arena all day spending money, and not sat in the tent waiting for a headliner.

Also targeting the older goers because they buy more in the arena and have more disposable income. So expect more of the legacy acts and lineups back.

7 minutes ago, gfa said:

Her tour is smaller than several recent headliners e.g. AM, The Killers

Its a pretty similar size to Billie's last outing

…Those being the precedents.

The Killers and Eilish both played Reading at the end of their tour cycles, not in the prime midst, hence the “for next year” comment in my post.

Like Eilish, she’s too big to play Reading before she’s tapped into her HUGE, more profitable demand

AM, they obv paid a fortune to tie up in advance and it led to a pretty much instant sell out

Post massive tour, it likely wouldn’t have been so quick. It’s now clear they would’ve need to do the same with Rodrigo

This tour certainly puts to bed the MSW thoughts 🤣

26 minutes ago, Chad888 said:

I do know that FR are shifting focus to selling weekend tickets over day tickets, because weekend goers are more likely to use the bars and food options around the site. Therefore they want to provide a more stacked undercard to get people into the arena all day spending money, and not sat in the tent waiting for a headliner.

Also targeting the older goers because they buy more in the arena and have more disposable income. So expect more of the legacy acts and lineups back.

Didn't they just move to selling more Day tickets?

I'd assume day trippers spend more per head than campers given they can't go back to their tents for food and booze.

The way to get people staying in the arena is to offer more choice. A 'Stacked' undercard is no good if you have no interest in that act and have no one else to see, however big they're perceived in their genre.

If you want to have a large scale, relatively genre agnostic festival, choice is key in keeping people engaged. You're not going to come in early if you reckon you're going to be sat about for 3 hours with no one of interest you want to see.

22 minutes ago, Benj said:

…Those being the precedents.

The Killers and Eilish both played Reading at the end of their tour cycles, not in the prime midst, hence the “for next year” comment in my post.

Like Eilish, she’s too big to play Reading before she’s tapped into her HUGE, more profitable demand

AM, they obv paid a fortune to tie up in advance and it led to a pretty much instant sell out

Post massive tour, it likely wouldn’t have been so quick. It’s now clear they would’ve need to do the same with Rodrigo

This tour certainly puts to bed the MSW thoughts 🤣

Fair enough on the first point but like the tickets are already sold so the huge profitable demand has been captured.

Few artists do R&L alongside such a huge tour anyway - she's clearly about for a big glasto slot rather than R&L

2 minutes ago, Benj said:

Didn't they just move to selling more Day tickets?

I think the weekend loyalty program might indicate a move back to weekend ticket focus to be honest

2 minutes ago, gblock said:

Think blink-182 will headline, plus at least one of kasabian, qotsa, Paramore, royal blood on MSW

And either Dua Lipa or O Rodrigo, unless Glastonbury gets them instead

Fred again, Post Malone, SZA all potentials too, think Travis Scott is unlikely

If they keep the two main stages -

Blink - SZA - Postie

Paramore - Fred Again - Kasabian

Perhaps a little strong, hard to see it selling out if this years didnt though

1 minute ago, gfa said:

Fair enough on the first point but like the tickets are already sold so the huge profitable demand has been captured.

Few artists do R&L alongside such a huge tour anyway - she's clearly about for a big glasto slot rather than R&L

Fair point, I still think they'd be asking a fortune as the competition to get her would be huge. 

Given the rumoured sizes of these waiting lists (I've been wait listed in Boston too 😭), it may be something Reading would be willing to pay for, as the FOMO hype will certainly help sell the festival.

1 minute ago, gfa said:

I think the weekend loyalty program might indicate a move back to weekend ticket focus to be honest

I thought the move to more day tickets was due to lost camping due to the new School built at Red, rather than some grand strategy

They didn't sell out reduced camping (ultimately beyond just Red), or indeed the increased day ticket proportion. I don't think its a change in focus, rather than a desperate attempt to win back the audience they know they've lost by the shrunken, low value experience they now offer.

Reading is no longer worth 300+ quid, those who've been know. People aren't going back. Maybe its worth 250 or so...

...given the response on here, it seems not though, with no one suggested they've been tempted by the reduced offer, instead still waiting for news on the line-up and potential stage changes, to see if its worth it.

1 hour ago, wghennessy said:

Its about demand aswell though. That arena in Manchester is absolutely huge and she'll sell it within minutes. I reckon she could do a few more dates there and sell it.

AM and Killers tours were about double the size

Billies was similar and also sold out in seconds and she could have easily chucked in 1-2 extra dates per city

2 hours ago, Benj said:

If they keep the two main stages -

Blink - SZA - Postie

Perhaps a little strong, hard to see it selling out if this years didnt though

Actually think its quite weak but realistic, but I'd say Rodrigo over SZA makes it stronger. Paramore would be an expensive sub but then Fred again and Kasabian are fairly cheap options

Could we see Greenday and Blink-182 in the same line-up? Are we giving to much credit to FR booking acts each day to cater to individual subsects, and they are instead looking to have the old-school fetival line-up with just 3 (or 6) crowd pleasing names?

Green Day / Post Malone / Blink-182

Fred Again / Kasabian / Paramore

26 minutes ago, gblock said:

Actually think its quite weak but realistic, but I'd say Rodrigo over SZA makes it stronger. Paramore would be an expensive sub but then Fred again and Kasabian are fairly cheap options

I'm not sure Fred will be that cheap come next summer - they will be competing again Creamfields inevitably i think

I think this one looks very solid personally

Blink - SZA - Postie

18 minutes ago, Chad888 said:

Could we see Greenday and Blink-182 in the same line-up? Are we giving to much credit to FR booking acts each day to cater to individual subsects, and they are instead looking to have the old-school fetival line-up with just 3 (or 6) crowd pleasing names?

dream on lol

this would sell well but if this happens i'd maybe sub out paramore perhaps

27 minutes ago, Chad888 said:

As covered that’s the eternal problem with no proper second stage

A line up catering mainly to a single genre, with no alternative for people in The Big Tent, will just leave half the audience with nothing to do all day.

It will be shite for weekend goers, like the Friday was for many in 2022

There was not a single act on the main stage(s) that day I wanted to see and little other alternative. A complete waste of money. 

47 minutes ago, Chad888 said:

I’d lose my head for this.