2024 Festival

Chad888

29 minutes ago, gfa said:

Feel like he's not got the longevity of some of the classic dark fruits ones - i think he doesn't give much bang for their buck as a MSE sub (which is where he'd be) vs some of the other similar options

thats my take anyway

Yup, while he obv has a big fan base, I think his appeal is too limited for a big slot that would leave half the crowd with nothing to interest them at 8pm

#bringbackthebigtent

2 hours ago, SomeoneListeningIn said:

She's way bigger than Lizzo. Lizzo was the right size to sub this year, regardless of 3 male headliners. O-Rod is way bigger and would only get the headline gig there.

I bet those Glasto attendees can't wait to hear a Disney teen belt out songs about her ex boyfriend.

We really always lose perspective when waiting for lineups. To headline is not just about how "big" an act is, how many Spotify listeners they get, how many they sell out to etc.

We can't moan about R&L becoming V Fest, and then start creaming over the idea that the next Disney pop princess could headline. R&L is alternative, rock, indie, rap music that you can shout "f**k the system" too, to accompany a piss-up in a campsite. Not music that your kid sister sings into her hairbrush.

I like Olivia Rodrigos music, I think it's very good and well made. I think she deserves all the success coming to her. I don't think pop music belongs headlining R&L, and it will do more damage than good. The same as Taylor Swift or Katy Perry headlining. 

I have the same opinion on Harry Styles. If Harry Styles and Olivia Rodrigo were booked for R&L, it would be great sales, good music, good vibes. But it isn't R&L. It is industry pop punk without any edge.

They book those acts and lose all the previous returners, and older attendees who drive most of the arena sales. The demographic of the festival will change aswell to younger girls and die-hard fans, rather than university age dark fruits and 'mad lads'.

Edited by Chad888

3 hours ago, Chad888 said:

I bet those Glasto attendees can't wait to hear a Disney teen belt out songs about her ex boyfriend.

We really always lose perspective when waiting for lineups. To headline is not just about how "big" an act is, how many Spotify listeners they get, how many they sell out to etc.

We can't moan about R&L becoming V Fest, and then start creaming over the idea that the next Disney pop princess could headline. R&L is alternative, rock, indie, rap music that you can shout "f**k the system" too, to accompany a piss-up in a campsite. Not music that your kid sister sings into her hairbrush.

I like Olivia Rodrigos music, I think it's very good and well made. I think she deserves all the success coming to her. I don't think pop music belongs headlining R&L, and it will do more damage than good. The same as Taylor Swift or Katy Perry headlining. 

I have the same opinion on Harry Styles. If Harry Styles and Olivia Rodrigo were booked for R&L, it would be great sales, good music, good vibes. But it isn't R&L. It is industry pop punk without any edge.

They book those acts and lose all the previous returners, and older attendees who drive most of the arena sales. The demographic of the festival will change aswell to younger girls and die-hard fans, rather than university age dark fruits and 'mad lads'.

I mean much of the LP is basically Hole. 

It’s far more punk than anything Green Day have done in the last 20 years…

The idea of Reading being alternative died years ago, Dua Lipa played it 5-6 years ago now didn’t she?!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, stanh said:

Olivia Rodrigo would be one of the most exciting and inspired headline bookings R&L have had in a while. 

Dunno about that one chief. She'd be a great booking but it wouldn't be some crazy catch.

6 minutes ago, Benj said:

It would be a pretty big deal If it was her ONLY festival of the year

1 minute ago, Andre91 said:

Yeah, if they gave her her first ever headline slot on an exclusive, it would be a mammoth booking. 

oh well yeah if that happened it would be huge. but it's not gonna happen is it.

19 minutes ago, SomeoneListeningIn said:

Dunno about that one chief. She'd be a great booking but it wouldn't be some crazy catch.

4 minutes ago, Benj said:

It would be a pretty big deal If it was her ONLY festival of the year

^^^^ What Benj said is what I meant by that. Plus she's still a pretty fresh name, and something new for them - plus her first ever headline booking; would go down very well I think.

You know, I have a weird feeling that people want Fred Again… and we’ll end up with Skrillex. 

personally think it would go down really well, he’s made a huge comeback and he’s also relevant to people to the ‘older’ crowd that lived through the Dubstep and Jack U eras of Skrillex. 

18 hours ago, Chad888 said:

Well we can count out Yungblud then

---

Not sure anyone at glasto is too fussed theres about 100 other stages lol

9 hours ago, jcarb said:

You know, I have a weird feeling that people want Fred Again… and we’ll end up with Skrillex. 

personally think it would go down really well, he’s made a huge comeback and he’s also relevant to people to the ‘older’ crowd that lived through the Dubstep and Jack U eras of Skrillex. 

Skrillex wouldn't be a headliner here anymore i don't think - subbing maybe but its just lost in the day anyway (didn't stop them with bicep mind you)

Fred Again doesn't seem to want to do fully dance fests at the moment so R&L makes perfect sense ... massive miss from creamfields mind you if they don't chuck the ££ at him

wouldn't shock me if he did them and creamfields in one week honestly

2 hours ago, gfa said:

Well we can count out Yungblud then

---

Not sure anyone at glasto is too fussed theres about 100 other stages lol

Skrillex wouldn't be a headliner here anymore i don't think - subbing maybe but its just lost in the day anyway (didn't stop them with bicep mind you)

Fred Again doesn't seem to want to do fully dance fests at the moment so R&L makes perfect sense ... massive miss from creamfields mind you if they don't chuck the ££ at him

wouldn't shock me if he did them and creamfields in one week honestly

I could deffo see Skrillex being around, maybe a midday or if we get the big tent. 

I see Fred Again… just doing his own shows and maybe glasto, I feel like it’s an experience seeing him after the Ally Pally shows. 

20 minutes ago, jcarb said:

I could deffo see Skrillex being around, maybe a midday or if we get the big tent. 

I see Fred Again… just doing his own shows and maybe glasto, I feel like it’s an experience seeing him after the Ally Pally shows. 

He just did Glasto so won't be there, he'll definitely at a fest or two

Edited by gfa

15 minutes ago, wghennessy said:

O Rod just added another 2 London dates,1 Glasgow, 1 Birmingham and 1 Manchester. Thats a HUGE tour

There shouldn't be any doubt about what stage she'd headline

This whole add new dates before it even goes on sale thing is so irritating

19 hours ago, stanh said:

Olivia Rodrigo would be one of the most exciting and inspired headline bookings R&L have had in a while. 

Billie Eilish is 100x bigger than Olivia Rodrigo in pretty much the same market niche. She headlined this year and the festival had its worst sales ever.

She is hardly exciting and inspired. She's good, but not legendary (and I doubt she will be when she's in a pool with Ariana Grande, Serena Gomez, Demi Lovato, Hailiee Steinfeld and Jonas Brothers).

Like somebody else said earlier, she's a Disney channel Paramore. 

15 minutes ago, Chad888 said:

Billie Eilish is 100x bigger than Olivia Rodrigo in pretty much the same market niche. She headlined this year and the festival had its worst sales ever.

She is hardly exciting and inspired. She's good, but not legendary (and I doubt she will be when she's in a pool with Ariana Grande, Serena Gomez, Demi Lovato, Hailiee Steinfeld and Jonas Brothers).

Billie Eilish is bigger than roderigo but not massively - she’s insanely popular with the younger crowd especially the girls r&l targeting with bookings like that. I’d argue that billie was the one holding up last years lineup - definitly the biggest act booked on there

To the younger crowd, most of the names I’ve highlited are basically irrelevant now, and most wouldn’t be considered “legendary” (Ariana grande js the only one I’On the contrary, I genuinly can see roderigo going massive in a Taylor swift kind of way if her next few albums are good and don’t all sound the same

Her current tour is huge on album 2. Wouldn’t be surprised if this is just the start 

1 hour ago, Chad888 said:

1 hour ago, On The Blend said:

This is all a bit moot as she’s in L.A. in August. She’s not flying halfway around the world to play R&L. 

It’s already been pretty agreed she won’t be playing. 

She’s too big ror R&L to get this year, like Eilish was in 22…

Theyll get her when there’s less demand, it won’t half as big a deal then though

Billie Eilish 100x bigger my arse. Look at the tour O-Rod is doing. With all of those extra dates, there can’t be much between her’s and Billie’s most recent tour. She’s the buzz name at the moment and she’s at the start of this album cycle. She’s only going to get bigger and bigger.  To say she’s not exciting is ridiculous. She is unbelievable popular with the prime R&L demo. She would be as slam dunk a headline booking as you can get. 

If it’s a choice between Olivia Rodrigo or a Cardi B or a Megan Thee Stallion type artist as a mainstream pop headliner, I know who I’m wanting. 

And why do some people have such a bee in their bonnet that she’s an ex-Disney kid? It’s not an issue whatsoever. It’s weird to keep repeating it. 

Also, she’s taking the f**king Breeders out as main support on her US tour. The girl is cool af. 

Edited by Andre91
  • Upvote 3

I must say I didn't realise just how big Rodrigo is and I enjoyed that first album, but hadn't really heard her name since so I need to catch up a bit.

But especially the last few weeks I've seen her name everywhere and based on that tour size would end up doing MSE.

Now I'm imagining an MSE: Olivia Rodrigo / MSW: Paramore day which would be pretty cool