2024 Festival

Chad888

13 minutes ago, gblock said:

Last years initial lineup was announced on the 9th of December…

Yeah, I’m not holding my breath. I seem to remember 2018’s announcement was as late as February (?). Whilst £210 a ticket if you’ve attended 3+ festivals in the past 5 years is a huge discount I still would not be willing to spend £210 on a festival I don’t know the lineup to. Surely that defeats the problem of loyalty scheme; they’ve realised they don’t have as many returning attendees as previous, but the reason behind this, at least in the eyes of this forum, is due to the declining state of the lineups. How can you expect to lure these people back without a lineup, albeit at a discounted price.

Maybe I’m looking into it too much!

Edited by FeverDream
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, FeverDream said:

Ah I missed that, thank you! Complete waste of a scheme if there’s no lineup announcement before the 30th… Here’s hoping 🤞🏻 

I guess the point is if you’re loyal, you go whatever… which is kind of fair enough given the discount offered.

They’ll obv get some people sucked back in, we’re kinda tempted but will probably leave it, if there is no news on lineup or stage changes.

…The big worry is, they wouldn’t be offering this scheme if they thought what they could offer would sell it out at full price…

We’re at another festival and in a few days time, where we’ll discuss it and make a decision. I think we’ll end up passing. I’d rather pay 80 extra quid for something good than sit through another 2022/ 2023

Edited by Benj
  • Upvote 3

3 minutes ago, Benj said:

I guess the point is if you’re loyal, you go whatever… which is kind of fair enough given the discount offered.

They’ll obv get some people sucked back in, we’re kinda tempted but will probably leave it, if there is no news on lineup or stage changes.

…The big worry is, they wouldn’t be offering this scheme if they thought what they could offer would sell it out at full price…

We’re at another festival and in a few days time, where we’ll discuss it and make a decision. I think we’ll end pass. I’d rather pay 80 extra quid for something good than sit through another 2022/ 2023

I think you’re bang on the money there in your 3rd paragraph. I think I’ve been pretty naive in thinking that the whole point of the scheme was to lure back people that had given up on the festival and no longer return year on year. They just wanna sell it out, and as @nathanhsays, it’s probably just a revamped first access.

15 hours ago, SomeoneListeningIn said:

Yeah she could do MSW at a stretch, but she's looking more likely for MSE nowadays I'd say.

I think she could still do MSW reasonably just because she's hardly toured

It depends when she's in Europe a lot - i could see her at the front end of summer when theres more fests on and do say Wireless, Glasto sub and Parklife maybe? (then like primavera, RW etc as well)

Are we saying Yungblud is MSW or bust now? i think he could probs still do MSE sub... hardly one for the loyal fans him lol - but its inevitable he will play at some point

5 minutes ago, gfa said:

I think she could still do MSW reasonably just because she's hardly toured

It depends when she's in Europe a lot - i could see her at the front end of summer when theres more fests on and do say Wireless, Glasto sub and Parklife maybe? (then like primavera, RW etc as well)

Are we saying Yungblud is MSW or bust now? i think he could probs still do MSE sub... hardly one for the loyal fans him lol - but its inevitable he will play at some point

I have a feeling she'll only be taking headline gigs from now on, not too sure if she'll be at Glasto considering she was down to sub in 2022 and her stock has risen since.

I think Yungblud could sub MSE yeah, but wouldn't be surprised to see him headline MSW.

8 minutes ago, SomeoneListeningIn said:

I have a feeling she'll only be taking headline gigs from now on, not too sure if she'll be at Glasto considering she was down to sub in 2022 and her stock has risen since.

I think Yungblud could sub MSE yeah, but wouldn't be surprised to see him headline MSW.

Agreed with Yungblud

Doja is hard to say, not too up to date on her but just seen her album is out in like a week or so and she got her first uk number 1 / billboard number 1 so seems she is on track for MSE

It really feels like Reading has missed getting a lot of big acts to do MSW on the way to MSE, instead mostly getting acts that have ended up stalling or are stagnant already:

2021 - catfish, disclosure, qotsa/biffy all stagnant --- perhaps catfish still growing at a push but that was halted anyway

2022 - megan stagnant now and overbooked at the time possibly (2nd or 3rd parklife i swear?), halsey and BMTH seem unlikely to do MSE, not too sure on Halsey think shes stagnant and not sure BMTH would ever get there realistically? i'm sure that will be contentious on here lol

2023 - foals stagnant, capaldi destined for the Latitude, IOW, BST circuit i think and imagine dragons stagnant. will ignore 1975

Edited by gfa

37 minutes ago, gfa said:

Agreed with Yungblud

Doja is hard to say, not too up to date on her but just seen her album is out in like a week or so and she got her first uk number 1 / billboard number 1 so seems she is on track for MSE

It really feels like Reading has missed getting a lot of big acts to do MSW on the way to MSE, instead mostly getting acts that have ended up stalling or are stagnant already:

2021 - catfish, disclosure, qotsa/biffy all stagnant --- perhaps catfish still growing at a push but that was halted anyway

2022 - megan stagnant now and overbooked at the time possibly (2nd or 3rd parklife i swear?), halsey and BMTH seem unlikely to do MSE, not too sure on Halsey think shes stagnant and not sure BMTH would ever get there realistically? i'm sure that will be contentious on here lol

2023 - foals stagnant, capaldi destined for the Latitude, IOW, BST circuit i think and imagine dragons stagnant. will ignore 1975

Maybe that's a good reflection on the booking policy for MSW then and gives strength to the argument that they wouldn't book O-Rod/Doja for that stage.

Stormzy, Dave, Sam Fender and Billie Eilish all booked for MSE since it's come about - all 2 albums into their career at the time of them headlining. O-Rod would be the logical follow up from them imo.

4 hours ago, Benj said:

We’re at another festival and in a few days time, where we’ll discuss it and make a decision. I think we’ll end up passing. I’d rather pay 80 extra quid for something good than sit through another 2022/ 2023

Really agree with that, Creamfields has also offered loyalty tickets, which was basically just first dibs - no price reduction or anything, and sold out pretty quick. Allegedly only 25% of tickets left for next summer, and over 100k sign ups!

2 hours ago, gfa said:

2022 - megan stagnant now and overbooked at the time possibly (2nd or 3rd parklife i swear?)

Yeah, was her second Parklife in 2022.

42 minutes ago, Andre91 said:

I didn’t realise Giggs had a new album out. I would love for him to play. He’s probably my  favourite UK rapper and I haven’t seen him since Leeds 2017. He would make a great big tent headliner. 

I've found, growing up is realising Giggs is actually a sh*t rapper, but is actually enjoyable to listen to.

I watched Daves 'Through the Fire' live video where he brings all the rappers out and it hit me that Giggs speaks primary school rhyming words with a ridiculously deep voice.

But his performance in 2017 was still one of my favourites I've ever seen

1 minute ago, Chad888 said:

I've found, growing up is realising Giggs is actually a sh*t rapper, but is actually enjoyable to listen to.

I watched Daves 'Through the Fire' live video where he brings all the rappers out and it hit me that Giggs speaks primary school rhyming words with a ridiculously deep voice.

But his performance in 2017 was still one of my favourites I've ever seen

Yeah I don’t think he’s a great rapper but he’s got so many bangers. He’s also a bonafide legend in the UK scene. His 2017 set was great. Him bringing Drake out at Reading must be one of my most viewed YouTube videos ever (I don’t even like Drake but it was insane). 

Reading and Leeds announce the line-up late when it is a sh*t booking year, and they want to sell tickets on hype and expectation, when the acts they book aren't doing anything else big that they need to worry about fans getting tickets for other shows.

Reading and Leeds announce the line-up early when they get a good booking, because they know that when those acts start announcing other shows, festivals and tours, those tickets will be hoovered up and nobody will book R&L

7L

13 minutes ago, Chad888 said:

Look what the cat dragged in

I done it bare back, I take chances

I'm a breast man, but I rate arses

The perfect example, legendary song, one of the greatest of the 00's, horrific rhyming

‘This sh*t’s Madagascar, when the monkeys make the poo scatter’ 

Incredible. 

20 hours ago, gfa said:

Agreed with Yungblud

I think this breakdown is spot on.

MSW is for the acts that think of themselves as to big to sub, are probably at the peak of their trajectory, and won't go any higher ... but aren't good enough to be THE headliner.

Acts like Youngblood will be MSE headliner one day, he won't be booked for MSW, but he would accept a sub spot on MSE. MSW will acts like be Rex Orange County, 21 Pilots, Panic at the Disco if they didnt fold.

18 hours ago, stanh said:

Really agree with that, Creamfields has also offered loyalty tickets, which was basically just first dibs - no price reduction or anything, and sold out pretty quick. Allegedly only 25% of tickets left for next summer, and over 100k sign ups!

This is just a presale with a name to make people feel special

Creamfields book near enough the same lineup year in year out so you know what your getting anyway

43 minutes ago, Chad888 said:

I think this breakdown is spot on.

MSW is for the acts that think of themselves as to big to sub, are probably at the peak of their trajectory, and won't go any higher ... but aren't good enough to be THE headliner.

Acts like Youngblood will be MSE headliner one day, he won't be booked for MSW, but he would accept a sub spot on MSE. MSW will acts like be Rex Orange County, 21 Pilots, Panic at the Disco if they didnt fold.

Rex won't be getting to MSW lol

Yungblud has grown nowhere near the speed of say Sam Fender, Rodrigo, Billie etc.

They will eventually book someone up-and-coming for MSW, i was saying its a bad thing they keep missing on this

2 hours ago, gfa said:

Rex won't be getting to MSW lol

Yungblud has grown nowhere near the speed of say Sam Fender, Rodrigo, Billie etc.

Rex was booked to headline R1 alongside Fender and AJ Tracy in 2020. Like AJ Tracy, he hasn't done much since but we talk about him as a MSW headliner / MSE sub.

Youngblod I think was sold as a pop-punk emo kid about 20 years to late (the MySpace 'rawr nuzzles' generation), they seemed to be jumping on the MGK American hype, without realising that was mostly artificial and conflated with E! attention over his relationship with Megan Fox.

Will he take off? I don't think the kids want his brand of cheesy and family friendly 'edge'. They want actual edge, like Digga D going to jail for arms trafficking type.

1 hour ago, Chad888 said:

Rex was booked to headline R1 alongside Fender and AJ Tracy in 2020. Like AJ Tracy, he hasn't done much since but we talk about him as a MSW headliner / MSE sub.

Youngblod I think was sold as a pop-punk emo kid about 20 years to late (the MySpace 'rawr nuzzles' generation), they seemed to be jumping on the MGK American hype, without realising that was mostly artificial and conflated with E! attention over his relationship with Megan Fox.

Will he take off? I don't think the kids want his brand of cheesy and family friendly 'edge'. They want actual edge, like Digga D going to jail for arms trafficking type.

He’s got a pretty big following in all fairness. 
I went to his arena tour for Neck Deep but the show was really solid and had the whole crowd in the palm of his hand.  

That said he’s just a modern day Avril Lavigne with the cliches and tackiness ramped up to 11. Definitely has that vibe of an industry plant.  

Could see him play depending on who else is playing but if they had a headliner (twenty one pilots, MGK, etc) that has a crossover with his fans it’ll be packed. If it was Blink or someone of the sorts then I think people would just hang around waiting for Blink and not really care. 

Personally can’t see him ever getting to the level of headlining, sub at best. His arena tour relied partially on Neck Deep being the ‘special guests’ 

2 minutes ago, tbywarren said:

O-Rod just announced a London show in May and she’s touring until the end of August around the world. Assuming she may headline 2025 instead due to a pretty loaded tour schedule already.

Yeah she's comfortably free for R+L but it doesn't seem likely that she'd pop back over here for the festival/whatever else after such a big tour as you say.