Mad Cool 2023

edge235

Just now, StaggerLee92 said:

Any idea about who the two missing headliners will be? 

My thoughts are ..............

Are Mad cool Rock Werchter and others awaiting news form the RATM camp?

Leave a headline slot open? Then if they cancel  -  have something in reserve?  

7 minutes ago, 49Lawson said:

Fully thought I was being stupid when I said there’d be 4 headliners a day yesterday 

Hehe you were spot on. However it also depends simply on how they decide to bill the acts. The insanely stacked 2018 lineup had acts like NIN, Massive Attack, Tame Impala, Kasabian and Post Malone on line 2 and MGMT on line 3, none of which would look too out of place in a 4-head structure.

3 minutes ago, jonnytee1 said:

My thoughts are ..............

Are Mad cool Rock Werchter and others awaiting news form the RATM camp?

Leave a headline slot open? Then if they cancel  -  have something in reserve?  

I like your thinking but think it's optimistic. I feel RATM will rightly have to do right and play their US tour they had scheduled before they start looking at Europe. Seems like a very quick turnaround and uncertainty for festivals to hang onto when they can just book someone else instead and look at RATM for 2024 instead.

Edited by scatteredscreens

1 minute ago, scatteredscreens said:

Another weak headliner set in Europe, some decent undercard names dotted about but next years headliner pool leaves a lot to be desired for me. Not the festivals fault, just the state of play next year.

You say "weak" but there are literally 15 Headliners at Reading and Leeds across that poster.  I think we need to accept that acts that wouldn't have appeared to be headliners at festivals a year or two ago...now will be.

From the pool available ( and who Didn't play last year) there are only a few omissions i can think of). 

Its a strong line up from top to bottom in my book. The first day headliners are not my cup of tea but if i learned anything from mad cool this year ..................the other stages are superb.

Its all on the new venue now 

Just now, jonnytee1 said:

You say "weak" but there are literally 15 Headliners at Reading and Leeds across that poster.  I think we need to accept that acts that wouldn't have appeared to be headliners at festivals a year or two ago...now will be.

From the pool available ( and who Didn't play last year) there are only a few omissions i can think of). 

Its a strong line up from top to bottom in my book. The first day headliners are not my cup of tea but if i learned anything from mad cool this year ..................the other stages are superb.

But it is weak. Robbie Williams and Sam Smith are weak headliners. Liam Gallagher plays everywhere. MGK is complete garbage and the Chilli Peppers are well past their sell by date. 

Compare this to Mad Cool 2018 which I went to and it's night and day.

1 minute ago, jonnytee1 said:

very worried about the new venue. IFEMA worked fine.

my capacity for crowds and faffing around is ver low these days.

I need a metro and or a taxi.

New location looks like its in the middle of nowhere...I preferred having some grub in the city and then tipping out on the metro at my leisure to IFEMA.

Just now, scatteredscreens said:

But it is weak. Robbie Williams and Sam Smith are weak headliners. Liam Gallagher plays everywhere. MGK is complete garbage and the Chilli Peppers are well past their sell by date. 

Seen RHCP in the olympic stadium in Barcelona last year just before Primavera and it was sensational.

• Like 2

Yeah, it's hard to get excited about this one. After having to cancel my 20-22 tickets and having moved to Madrid this year, I was quite excited to see  what names they could get. While some of the headliners seem fine in a "I'd catch them towards the end of the night", there's no must see band really grabbing me.

Last year had Creeper, Carley Rae Jepsen, TOP, Placebo, and The Killers from my dream list. It's just bad luck that none of the bands anywhere on the card are anything I want to see. Still, there's still a couple of missing headliners, though if day tickets will remain by them is a different matter. Maybe 2024.

1 minute ago, scatteredscreens said:

I also went to Mad Cool 2018 - Great line up. Its a different line up but ill be honest id rather see Lizzo  (who i've never seen before) than Arctic Monkeys who were boring. 

I don't like Sam Smith so wont watch Them. Robbie sold Knebworth three times over and has sold out the biggest venues in the world so..............although not my cup of tea, its tough to say hes a "small" or "bad" headliner. 

1 minute ago, jonnytee1 said:

I also went to Mad Cool 2018 - Great line up. Its a different line up but ill be honest id rather see Lizzo  (who i've never seen before) than Arctic Monkeys who were boring. 

I don't like Sam Smith so wont watch Them. Robbie sold Knebworth three times over and has sold out the biggest venues in the world so..............although not my cup of tea, its tough to say hes a "small" or "bad" headliner. 

Lizzo is one of the better headliners, hence why I didn't comment on her. She's probably miles better than AMs current show you're right.

I also never said any of the artists were small, but an act like Robbie is as milk toast, cookie cutter crap as you can get. The size of the gigs he sells has no merit whether he's a good or bad headliner. 

All personal opinion but I just think 2023 is looking a bit meh for headliners, even Glastonbury has GnR rumoured for it which is just like.. what? Talk about scraping the barrel.

7 minutes ago, Drums Please Fab said:

Seen RHCP in the olympic stadium in Barcelona last year just before Primavera and it was sensational.

I was there. In this beautiful stadium. Insane show. But their shows in stadium are usually better than in festivals. Like many bands you would see but here the difference was really strong. Compared shows like Barcelona and Paris to Rock Werchter per example...