Sziget 2023

#1SzigetFan

6 hours ago, eyebrain said:

I don't know, I guess it's above avarege set of headliners and the issue is maybe in me. Definitely feels like I've been going to too many festivals and there's not much headliners left who would feel new and unique to me.. But I do have to say that this is going to be my 8th Sziget and this is going to be 4th time Macklemore performs at the festival. That's a good statistic to reflect my disappointment. 

Then again if you look at Sziget's festival evaluations https://drive.google.com/file/d/1WCWEgRvJck8QFfT8AASyW2NwlrEGPebI/view

Very interesting numbers there, most importantly, only 25% of their visitors are returning. So who cares if I'm seeing Macklemore for 4th time? With my 8th time I'm probably 2-3% of people. 

75% of their clients buy tickets for the festival itself (including me)

What's really interesting there is that 57% of their visitors come with daily tickets, 25% of them with 6-day tickets and 11% with 3-day tickets. For me this proves the need for bigger names to keep selling daily tickets.

Plus it does not make a lot of sense to me that if 75% of people come for the festival itself, 57% of them buy only a daily ticket? 

I think that final stat is a really dangerous one for them to focus on.

We attended first time (2019) for the line-up. We came back in 2022 for, well, Sziget. However, lots of what made the festival in 2019 had gone - decorations etc. We are back this year and if this hasn't improved then we won't be coming back unless the line-up is one not to miss.

If you focus on 75% of people coming no matter what the line-up is then where's the impetus to create a fantastic line up and not just book Mumford and Sons and Macklemore again?

As I said, I took some time to listen to the unknown names of the line up.

call me karizma, m.byrd, stain the canvas, lass, the haunted youth,etc...... there's some pretty good stuff, I admit. ^^

Doesn't change the fact that I was expecting more "confirmed" acts, clearly... but at least they can find and book nice talents 🙂

10 hours ago, Matt86 said:

As I said, I took some time to listen to the unknown names of the line up.

call me karizma, m.byrd, stain the canvas, lass, the haunted youth,etc...... there's some pretty good stuff, I admit. ^^

Doesn't change the fact that I was expecting more "confirmed" acts, clearly... but at least they can find and book nice talents 🙂

For me the ones I didn’t know but like:

- Above all else: The Comet is Coming, wow! It’s some psychedelic jazz electro stuff that’s really unique

- Stain the Canvas also - it reminds me to a lot of metal stuff that I like and in places they even remind me of Chester’s vocals

- Arlo Parks - beautiful voice

- Loyle Carner - I really like this type of jazzy rap, but haven’t heard of him. Reminds me of the Ezra Collection which I really like

15 minutes ago, Akujin said:

For me the ones I didn’t know but like:

- Above all else: The Comet is Coming, wow! It’s some psychedelic jazz electro stuff that’s really unique

- Stain the Canvas also - it reminds me to a lot of metal stuff that I like and in places they even remind me of Chester’s vocals

- Arlo Parks - beautiful voice

- Loyle Carner - I really like this type of jazzy rap, but haven’t heard of him. Reminds me of the Ezra Collection which I really like

Loyle Carner has just been announced as headliner on West Holts stage at Glastonbury this year, and Arlo Parks won the Mercury Music prize in the UK in 2021 so both have a very decent pedigree. Just neither are particularly my cup-of-tea......not enough guitars! Lol

How has the Taxi service been lately? I bought my weekly pass and considering if I should camp or go home. Really leaning towards going home because Taxi should be 12 mins, but public transport is 40-50 minutes (it is super awkward).

But if I have to wait for an hour for taxi then I might camp up… 

3 hours ago, Akujin said:

How has the Taxi service been lately? I bought my weekly pass and considering if I should camp or go home. Really leaning towards going home because Taxi should be 12 mins, but public transport is 40-50 minutes (it is super awkward).

We stayed in the city in 2022 and got a taxi home each night. Ride to chain bridge was about 10 mins and cost about 12 euros. Wait time differed every night. One night (can't remember which) we had about a one hour wait. Most other nights it was around 15/20 mins.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Akujin said:

Be aware! Last year first day of the festival I picked up taxi after leaving the island (there are many taxis waiting there) and driver tried to charge me 90 euros. I stayed around New York Caffe in the city. But I knew real prices so I gave him 20 euros (all the cash I had with me) which is still too much but didn't want to fight with the idiot. After that I used public transport and I loved it. You can also use Bolt app which is like their Uber. 

40 minutes ago, Nikky said:

Be aware! Last year first day of the festival I picked up taxi after leaving the island (there are many taxis waiting there) and driver tried to charge me 90 euros. I stayed around New York Caffe in the city. But I knew real prices so I gave him 20 euros (all the cash I had with me) which is still too much but didn't want to fight with the idiot. After that I used public transport and I loved it. You can also use Bolt app which is like their Uber. 

Hey mate! Sorry to hear that. Sadly that is not an uncommon behaviour towards forigners by Taxi drivers.

I am actually Hungarian so I would be fine, tho. I also use Bolt mostly. Do you just get in line for a taxi there or can you also try your luck with getting a Bolt there directly? 

Anyone has good experience with that?

10 hours ago, Akujin said:

For previous two times I went to Sziget I was using public transport, first time it took me 15 minutes to get to the festival since I wasn't staying that far but last year it took me maybe 30 minutes (train + tram + walking) and I was staying close to Keleti train station which is quite far. For me it's also the cheapest option - 10-15 euros for a 30-day ticket for all public transport (train, tram, metro, bus) unlimited number of times 

Is the Siesta camping worth it? Or is it possible to find a decently chill part on the Sziget? And if so, where? 

It's a bit strange for me that the apparent "siesta" is right next to the Party arena and Colosseum where there is loud music all night. I would think that the other side of the island is quieter? 

7 minutes ago, Akujin said:

Is the Siesta camping worth it? Or is it possible to find a decently chill part on the Sziget? And if so, where? 

It's a bit strange for me that the apparent "siesta" is right next to the Party arena and Colosseum where there is loud music all night. I would think that the other side of the island is quieter? 

I think the upgrades are worth it as the camping is more pleasant, plus less queues for showers and toilets. 

But yeah you are right about the noise. 1st time we went we were in VIP, which was literally opposite the party arena. The noise until 6am was mad. 

2019 we went in Bridge camping upgrade, which was on the opposite side of site. Which was so much better. This year we got tickets for Park camping, due to the noise(although we've cancelled). 

Just because it's Sunday and I'm bored. Number of 'hearts/likes' for each headliner as they have been promoted by Sziget on Instagram (one post each):

Macklemore: 4,248

Billie: 3,550

Lorde: 2,697

Imagine Dragons: 2,288

David Guetta: 1,151

Mumford: 852

Florence: 820

Maybe we underestimated Macklemore's appeal!!

Edited by swelsbyuk
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, swelsbyuk said:

Just because it's Sunday and I'm bored. Number of 'hearts/likes' for each headliner as they have been promoted by Sziget on Instagram (one post each):

Macklemore: 4,248

Billie: 3,550

Lorde: 2,697

Imagine Dragons: 2,288

David Guetta: 1,151

Mumford: 852

Florence: 820

Maybe we underestimated Macklemore's appeal!!

That's from 2nd announcement, if you go a bit down when they first announced new names:

Billie: 11,846

Imagine Dragons: 5,037

David Guetta: 3,870

Florence: 3,133

• Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, activean said:

Looks like it's safe to say Mumford day will be empty one 🙂

I dont think anyone posted 'poster' of second announcement, so here it is, for a different perspective maybe. 

RDT_20230319_1803591108496966995639172.jpg

Is that the official announcement poster? It looks like it was made about 15 years ago.

7 minutes ago, activean said:

It was on Reddit group, but i guess you are right, somebody must have made it. It doesn't change the fact has weak it is, i'm still not over it 😄

Any chance for a decent name for the remaining main stage spot? Tbf freedome is already pretty stacked.

46 minutes ago, Akujin said:

Any chance for a decent name for the remaining main stage spot? Tbf freedome is already pretty stacked.

I think the main stage is full and only Hungarian names will be added. Freedome is missing 6 names (2 on last day), probably fillers but possibly a decent names too. Party arena, Colosseum and Europe are stages where we'll look forward the most to get new artists.

1 hour ago, activean said:

I think the main stage is full and only Hungarian names will be added. Freedome is missing 6 names (2 on last day), probably fillers but possibly a decent names too. Party arena, Colosseum and Europe are stages where we'll look forward the most to get new artists.

Saturday, Sunday and Tuesday all missiing one main stage name. Unless for some reason there are only 3 names on those days.

On 3/17/2023 at 5:29 PM, Nikky said:

Happened to me as well. A very nice taxi driver and I was tired at 04h in the morning, so I payed what he wanted, but realized just after leaving the taxi and figuring out the amount from Forint to Euro that I payed 60 Euro instead of 15 Euro. I never take a taxi again, public transport is fine. You can get back to the city with the train at any time.