Sziget 2023

#1SzigetFan

1 minute ago, gfa said:

I don't think Niall would be 3rd down and the tent would be arguably chaos. He'd work well as the sub for Billie.

M83 would be perfect in the tent- their names even got 38 (RIP) in reverse!

I saw them playing both in tent and night open air and both time were amazing. Still hoping for A38 though

9 minutes ago, swelsbyuk said:

It isn't. It's the image of Mimi Webb that was shared earlier - it's clear from the bump in the neck line matching the tshirt she is wearing,

Btw, I have no idea who this is ^^

I see lot of differences in photo of Mimi Webb and that photo, so thats why Im looking for alternatives 😂

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, bunnyv said:

Am I the only who had no clue about mimi webb till this afternoon?!

same here ! we are too old lol.. and same thing about the Niall Horan, I just learn that he was in One Direction... Thats unbelievable, a few years ago Sziget booked IRON MAIDEN, and now look at where we are... 😓

5 minutes ago, Matt86 said:

same here ! we are too old lol.. and same thing about the Niall Horan, I just learn that he was in One Direction... Thats unbelievable, a few years ago Sziget booked IRON MAIDEN, and now look at where we are... 😓

21 and never heard of her ahah, I guess it's one of those artists whose popularity somehow ends at the beginning of the Channel

13 minutes ago, Matt86 said:

I mean,im a 25 year old female,rather up to date with pop music but this one baffled me😂

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Matt86 said:

I don't think this is about being old, rather being old and not from Great Britain. 

Sziget seems to have found its target audience and they will stick to it no matter what: young, white, mainstream, British. And may I add, "possibly interested in social challenges but not really fully committed to any of that stuff". 

It is basically becoming a bigger FIB Benicassim: you could have the festival in Budapest rather than in Lisbon or Paris or Helsinki, you would not tell the difference once you're in

Edited by Yelo, the Parmiggiana

8 minutes ago, Yelo, the Parmiggiana said:

I don't think this is about being old, rather being old and not from Great Britain. 

Sziget seems to have found its target audience and they will stick to it no matter what: young, white, mainstream, British. And may I add, "possibly interested in social challenges but not really fully committed to any of that stuff". 

It is basically becoming a bigger FIB Benicassim: you could have the festival in Budapest rather than in Lisbon or Paris or Helsinki, you would not tell the difference once you're in

If we are going with generalisations, I'd suggest that the average young, white, mainstream, British attendee wouldn't give two hoots about Imagine Dragons, wouldn't know who the hell Moderat are and (they boys at least) would give Niall Horan a wide berth.

I really wouldn't know what the Sziget organisers are thinking, but I think laying the 'blame' for a line-up you don't care for at the door of one nationality is bordering on xenophobia and paranoia tbh.

Clues yesterday kind of lower my expectations, it seems there is agenda of radio popular pop/edm artist known from 10's on, targeting teenagers and students. 

One direction guy, Mimi, Billie, Imagine Dragons all kind of sounds very similar. I hope there will at least be more music diversity. I love how Primevera goes from Halsey to Pet shop boys to Ghost. 

Will be very happy if it turns out i'm wrong, it depends on lineup whether i'm going or not. 

2020 announcement will remain undisputed ;] 

11 minutes ago, swelsbyuk said:

If we are going with generalisations, I'd suggest that the average young, white, mainstream, British attendee wouldn't give two hoots about Imagine Dragons, wouldn't know who the hell Moderat are and (they boys at least) would give Niall Horan a wide berth.

I really wouldn't know what the Sziget organisers are thinking, but I think laying the 'blame' for a line-up you don't care for at the door of one nationality is bordering on xenophobia and paranoia tbh.

Nah! what? Nothing against the Brits, really!

I'm actually just commenting on the general shift and "coachellification" of the festival. You cannot easily appeal to the Americans because of geographical distance, so you tend to the Europeans most wealthy/influencing cultures - which, for the festival circuit, is better represented by the BENELUX and English regions.

There is a better representation for the Northern Europe taste on the main spots lately (as in post 2017), and it constantly grew over the years,  proofs are the increased attendance and the price standard fixing on British-fest prices for food and non-beer booze. For what I can see, as somebody from Southern Europe who travelled quite a lot, the zeitgeist of the festival is shifting further and further from what I call "usual" - and it may be me ageing, but the point is that also when talking about previous lineups with younger people from Spain or Italy, often nobody knows a thing about the names (i.e. Holly Humberstone, last year,  but it goes way back than only that). 

I mean, you can see it from both way, it can also be that the general increase in prices is cutting people from not-as-wealthy country off the festival, hence you have more goers from Scandinavia, Benelux, GB, and you tend to shift the lineup towards their taste. It is nothing bad, I do not ask to be represented by Sziget, I'm not so shallow, I'm just trying to share a POV, and it really has nothing to do with paranoia or, worse, xenophobia.