Volunteering 2023

neil93

17 minutes ago, lmaltby1001 said:

Just found out that the two people I recommended for litter picking have been offered a volunteer spot today! Presume it's because some people are dropping out, maybe because of resale. 

Who is the litter picking up through ? Recycle crew ? 

17 minutes ago, danstan said:

If anyone needs a volunteering place I've just cancelled mine with Shelter as I got one with Oxfam. If you email SummerFest@shelter.org.uk they should have availability. That's how i got my place with Shelter initially. 

They have a loooong wait list, I got an email from them today saying so. I asked to join it anyway though.

Edited by Johnnyseven

42 minutes ago, red1422 said:

For the lucky people that got through for  oxfam today. Do we have to complete the whole application like reference etc by tomorrow or just the Glastonbury part. Also all the training sessions seem to be post festival. Can anyone help thanks 

I picked a date but just seen an email that says you need to select unable to attend training.

Hey! I have tried so hard and still am to get to Glasto with my hubby this year.

We have been lots as punters and volunteers. We thought we had a guaranteed spot each on a bar with wbc. So didn’t apply for anything else. Then we found out they didn’t allocate our charity any spaces. So I’ve tried to apply for Wateraid, Shelter, Oxfam but it’s been too late in the year. We tried for the Oxfam slots again this morning but to no avail.

we are both reliable, hard workers. Anyone know of any volunteer work we can get?

I know it’s a big ask. It’s my 40th this year and I really want to be there (along with the rest of the country I know lol). Can anyone please help?

Thanks - Sophie

1 hour ago, red1422 said:

For the lucky people that got through for  oxfam today. Do we have to complete the whole application like reference etc by tomorrow or just the Glastonbury part. Also all the training sessions seem to be post festival. Can anyone help thanks 

Edited by Daniel445

38 minutes ago, SG83 said:

Hey! I have tried so hard and still am to get to Glasto with my hubby this year.

We have been lots as punters and volunteers. We thought we had a guaranteed spot each on a bar with wbc. So didn’t apply for anything else. Then we found out they didn’t allocate our charity any spaces. So I’ve tried to apply for Wateraid, Shelter, Oxfam but it’s been too late in the year. We tried for the Oxfam slots again this morning but to no avail.

we are both reliable, hard workers. Anyone know of any volunteer work we can get?

I know it’s a big ask. It’s my 40th this year and I really want to be there (along with the rest of the country I know lol). Can anyone please help?

Thanks - Sophie

I've a spread sheet of all the companies here:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1Mp4ZMpJcffuwNSJBKKnEmfsdttyl0-kmpOHcPWVRD5E/

They're mostly all closed now but worth a try to get on waiting lists. 

I do know of one actively recruiting that I've not put on there because (imo) it's a really terrible volunteering deal. 

http://www.oasiscarnival.co.uk/glastonbury-festival/

They do roads outside the fence.

I've not put them on because

A)The campsite is the Shepton Mallet side of Pilton. (An awful trek outside the fest).

B) You can't get in until Thursday evening at the earliest "Tickets will be handed out at 4pm on Thursday if you have completed one shift, if you have not completed a shift by that time it will be handed to you at the end of your first shift"

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Leyrulion said:

I would absolutely not appreciate anyone that brought a ukulele to a morning shift. 

What about a flute? 😂

50 minutes ago, SG83 said:

Thanks - Sophie

I would recommend keeping on trying the Oxfam route. I only got my place because I checked on here and people said there were still being places released this afternoon due to duplicate bookings. I wouldn't be surprised if a few more of these come up. Also if people haven't completed their profiles within 24 hours, those places might possibly come up again. People in the know say to keep checking all along as places could be cancelled before the festival. Good luck 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, red1422 said:

I am feeling nervous about this - not sure if I can get my reference sorted within 24 hours! I have messaged oxfam on Twitter and Facebook so will let you know when I hear back

5 minutes ago, ced221_ said:

I am feeling nervous about this - not sure if I can get my reference sorted within 24 hours! I have messaged oxfam on Twitter and Facebook so will let you know when I hear back

I'm reasonably confident in saying that "you must have completed your profile" will mean the parts you can do yourself. They won't penalise you because your reference hasn't responded immediately.

The reference isn't as problematic as it may sound at first - it's just providing them an email address, and then Oxfam will send an email to the person who just needs to tick a box to say they know you and you're halfway decent.

Edited by incident
  • Like 1

48 minutes ago, Leyrulion said:

I would absolutely not appreciate anyone that brought a ukulele to a morning shift. 

One of my former housemates had just started learning to play the accordion right before the first lockdown started. Entirely self taught.

I genuinely surprised myself with my levels of tolerance at that time. But yeah, a ukulele at 7  in the morning on gate D might tip me over the edge.

1 hour ago, SG83 said:

Thanks - Sophie

WaterAid sometimes open up waitlist spots. I got a place with them last year, end of May. So don't give up Hope just yet. Keep an eye on their website, as they will open up a waitlist there. 

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, highnrg123 said:

WaterAid sometimes open up waitlist spots. I got a place with them last year, end of May. So don't give up Hope just yet. Keep an eye on their website, as they will open up a waitlist there. 

The waitlist will go to people who applied for a WaterAid slot prior to the cut off date.  They work on a ratio of 10:1 applications to acceptance so there are a lot of people on that list.  Waiting

1 hour ago, Jay Pee said:

The waitlist will go to people who applied for a WaterAid slot prior to the cut off date.  They work on a ratio of 10:1 applications to acceptance so there are a lot of people on that list.  Waiting

That's not correct. Last year i  failed to apply in the first round of applications. ( i was very unorganised )  Then I applied when the waitlist was opened up. I had never volunteered with them before, and got an amazing volunteering role at the end of May. There must have been many people already on the waitlist, but somehow I managed to secure a role with them. 

Edited by highnrg123

2 hours ago, ced221_ said:

I would be very interested to hear what they say as my other half is in a similar position. I think the person he put down as reference might be on holiday until the end of the week and probably isn't the sort of person to check emails while away!

8 minutes ago, highnrg123 said:

That's not correct. Last year i  failed to apply in the first round of applications. ( i was very unorganised )  Then I applied when the waitlist was opened up. I had never volunteered with them before, and got an amazing volunteering role at the end of May. There must have been many people already on the waitlist, but somehow I managed to secure a role with them. 

That is a good result. Well done on getting in through determination.

9 minutes ago, muffpuffin said:

I would be very interested to hear what they say as my other half is in a similar position. I think the person he put down as reference might be on holiday until the end of the week and probably isn't the sort of person to check emails while away!

I think what incident says further up is accurate. Your partner will have completed their profile by nominating a reference. Its not their fault the referee hasn't replied within the 24 hours. In the same way as they won't have done their training before the 24 hours are up (if they need to) 

20 minutes ago, philipsteak said:

I think what incident says further up is accurate. Your partner will have completed their profile by nominating a reference. Its not their fault the referee hasn't replied within the 24 hours. In the same way as they won't have done their training before the 24 hours are up (if they need to) 

Thanks, I think panic set in after all the energies spent trying to get the places!

37 minutes ago, muffpuffin said:

I will keep you posted!