Radio 1 Big Weekend 2023

gfa

9 minutes ago, Thestylishkidintheriot said:

Are Lewis Capaldi and the 1975 likely headliners or do they have previous for announcing headliners after the first announcement? 

Harry Styles got added late last year.

Radio 1's head of music confirms in this article that The 1975 are headlining:

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2023/jan/29/are-bands-dead-how-solo-stars-took-over-the-charts

Do we actively seek out bands over solo artists? Not necessarily, but I won’t pretend I’m not delighted that Wet Leg are the breakout band of 2022, and I’m thrilled when the 1975 headline Radio 1’s Big Weekend.”

Any idea roughly when the bulk of the line up gets announced?  I booked 2 separate nights for the sat/sun but was chancing it that would get some decent indie rock bands booked.  Not my cuppa tea at the moment.

Assumed the view would be a shoe in and on the more optimistic side was hoping for Arctic Monkeys/Blur or something in that neck of the woods 🤣🤣🤣

1 hour ago, Mr Carbohydrate said:

Any idea roughly when the bulk of the line up gets announced?  I booked 2 separate nights for the sat/sun but was chancing it that would get some decent indie rock bands booked.  Not my cuppa tea at the moment.

Assumed the view would be a shoe in and on the more optimistic side was hoping for Arctic Monkeys/Blur or something in that neck of the woods 🤣🤣🤣

I doubt you'd get any of those, theyre not even a thought at R1 let alone get airtime. 

You will get Little Simz, Miley Cyrus, Pinkpantheress, Central Cee, Sam Smith, Sza, Tate Mcrae, KSI ... I think you may get Kendrick Lamar at a push

2 hours ago, Mr Carbohydrate said:

Maybe artic monkeys and the view are doing trnmst and blur are doing Wembley stadium 

5 hours ago, Thestylishkidintheriot said:

Are Lewis Capaldi and the 1975 likely headliners or do they have previous for announcing headliners after the first announcement? 

Expecting Lewis Capaldi to be an opening 'headliner' this year, much like Ed Sheeran and George Ezra last year in Coventry.

3 hours ago, Chad888 said:

I doubt you'd get any of those, theyre not even a thought at R1 let alone get airtime. 

You will get Little Simz, Miley Cyrus, Pinkpantheress, Central Cee, Sam Smith, Sza, Tate Mcrae, KSI ... I think you may get Kendrick Lamar at a push

AM won’t be there, but songs from their new album did receive a lot of R1 airplay last year.l tbf.

12 hours ago, WhoOdyssey said:

AM won’t be there, but songs from their new album did receive a lot of R1 airplay last year.l tbf.

They recieved R1 airplay but never made it past the C list, and was quickly hurried off.

I say compare that, to somebody like the 1975 and Wet Leg who havent left the playlist, I still hear Chaise Lounge 18 months later.

2 hours ago, Chad888 said:

They recieved R1 airplay but never made it past the C list, and was quickly hurried off.

I say compare that, to somebody like the 1975 and Wet Leg who havent left the playlist, I still hear Chaise Lounge 18 months later.

Still a big act though - if they can get AM they aren't going to say no

Last year had thirty second to mars ffs and florence who is probably just as little on airplay as AM

2 hours ago, Chad888 said:

That’s not true. Both ‘Mirrorball’ and ‘Body Paint’ made the A-list, with the latter there for around 8 weeks. http://www.buzzjack.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=258663&hl=Playlist

And on the album release week they even playlisted ‘Tracks from The Car’, where they played a variety of the album tracks for a week. 

11 minutes ago, gfa said:

Still a big act though - if they can get AM they aren't going to say no

Last year had thirty second to mars ffs and florence who is probably just as little on airplay as AM

Thirty Seconds to Mars were there in 2018, and they did give the singles from ‘America’ a lot of airplay at the time.

and Florence still gets heavily supported by R1 too.

29 minutes ago, WhoOdyssey said:

Thirty Seconds to Mars were there in 2018, and they did give the singles from ‘America’ a lot of airplay at the time.

and Florence still gets heavily supported by R1 too.

30STM definitely aren't getting more playtime than AM lets not be silly here

Just dropping in to add that it's very unlikely Bastille will be at this - they seem to be shunning festivals entirely this year to tour ten years of Bad Blood this summer. Got a ton of UK dates lined up in early July and looks like they're heading over to Europe in August - three Germany dates dropped without much fanfare, so wouldn't be surprised if more followed.

4 hours ago, LivOctober said:

Just dropping in to add that it's very unlikely Bastille will be at this - they seem to be shunning festivals entirely this year to tour ten years of Bad Blood this summer. Got a ton of UK dates lined up in early July and looks like they're heading over to Europe in August - three Germany dates dropped without much fanfare, so wouldn't be surprised if more followed.

They are in America on the Friday performing at battle rock festival plus they are doing a date in Dundee late August.

Maybe nothing but thieves on the undercard