Bearded Theory 2023

jimmillen

Fair comment! 😂

Absolutely delighted with those additions to the lineup though! Grace is one of my all time favourite artists and have always wanted to see her at Bearded. She's said there's no UK tour outside of festivals this year, so really hoping to catch her at a few. Billy, Deja Vega, Sleeper, PSB, Alvvays on the list too, definitely dreading the clashes. 😬

Whilst there may be some big names, it's lost its soul/edge a bit. The grassroots, punk, alternative feel has made way for mainstream, indie fest like lots already out there. Been from the beginning and already have tickets so will be going, but its obvious the new organisers want to take this in another direction. Real shame as it was so different from all the other festivals pumping out the same stuff. I have no doubt plenty will be happy with this mind.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, DickDude said:

Whilst there may be some big names, it's lost its soul/edge a bit. The grassroots, punk, alternative feel has made way for mainstream, indie fest like lots already out there. Been from the beginning and already have tickets so will be going, but its obvious the new organisers want to take this in another direction. Real shame as it was so different from all the other festivals pumping out the same stuff. I have no doubt plenty will be happy with this mind.

I do know what you mean. My first Bearded was 2010, and I've been to every one since. But I think this was a process that was already underway before the new owners. For me, the big shift was when Tornado Town was replaced by Maui Waui. Nothing against MW, but for all its pluses it doesn't have the grit that TT did. The main stage lineup has been shifting closer to the mainstream for quite a while now as well, and the crowd has changed a bit over the years. BUT Bearded still has Gails' tea tent and Convoy Cabaret, which really do feel like proper underground alternative spaces. I think while they're still there the original heart of Bearded is still going.

Think this line up is stacked, especially compared to the disappointment of BDs this year, and I'm expecting to have a great weekend. 

16 minutes ago, riverwise said:

I do know what you mean. My first Bearded was 2010, and I've been to every one since. But I think this was a process that was already underway before the new owners. For me, the big shift was when Tornado Town was replaced by Maui Waui. Nothing against MW, but for all its pluses it doesn't have the grit that TT did. The main stage lineup has been shifting closer to the mainstream for quite a while now as well, and the crowd has changed a bit over the years. BUT Bearded still has Gails' tea tent and Convoy Cabaret, which really do feel like proper underground alternative spaces. I think while they're still there the original heart of Bearded is still going.

Think this line up is stacked, especially compared to the disappointment of BDs this year, and I'm expecting to have a great weekend. 

I get this, my first was 2012 and it definitely felt a bit more dog on a string back then. Still love it, the people and the atmosphere though.

I guess the problem was there are only so many bands that fit the old Bearded roster. There are only so many times they can go with the Mission, New Model Army, Ferocious Dog, Levellers etc. They still crop up but it's nice to have different stuff as well. We always used to have a laugh reading through the old programmes, almost every description was ska-punk-folk, folk-punk-ska or (for a bit of variation), punk-folk-ska.

If they hadn't moved on we wouldn't have had things like the incredible Flaming Lips set last year. Plus of course, there is still plenty of punk/ska stuff on the bill.

The new additions are looking good, can't wait to see how they are spread out across the stages. It's gonna be clashtastic.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

57 minutes ago, Gnomicide said:

I get this, my first was 2012 and it definitely felt a bit more dog on a string back then. Still love it, the people and the atmosphere though.

I guess the problem was there are only so many bands that fit the old Bearded roster. There are only so many times they can go with the Mission, New Model Army, Ferocious Dog, Levellers etc. They still crop up but it's nice to have different stuff as well. We always used to have a laugh reading through the old programmes, almost every description was ska-punk-folk, folk-punk-ska or (for a bit of variation), punk-folk-ska.

If they hadn't moved on we wouldn't have had things like the incredible Flaming Lips set last year. Plus of course, there is still plenty of punk/ska stuff on the bill.

The new additions are looking good, can't wait to see how they are spread out across the stages. It's gonna be clashtastic.

Spot on. People wouldn't be happy if they had been going to a festival for 30 years and it was still the organisers next door neighbour banging out a cover of '7 Nation Army' on dustbin lid as a headliner. I think its just the nature of festivals. If you are lucky you catch them early on, enjoy them for a few years then move on to the next thing when they've become something you stop enjoying. 

3 hours ago, riverwise said:

It started out as a grass roots, alternative festival with a wide variety of music and that has all but disappeared opting for mainstream indie fest. There was nothing like it around, I thought it was heads and shoulders above Beautiful Days for value for money, the site, the music, food and beer. There are so many indie festivals out there, unsure why BT had to morph into them. For sure there's the Tea Tent//Convoy cabaret, but you don't pay £150 for that. There's tons of alternative bands out there, just look at Slam Dunk and yet they rarely get bands if that caliber, opting for a Radio Six playlist.

The year Glastonbury wasn't on and an influx of Glasto indie types also seemed to have an affect. Many of the those who went from the first one have stopped going, which speaks volumes. I can never understand why a company would buy a successful model, then change it. Something new for next year for our gang of families I think.

All good things come to an end and this is possibly the start of something good for those who like this sort of indie stuff,

Not been on here in a while, the sadness of not getting Glastonbury tickets put me in a mood over the winter. But with BT there's a light, I bloody love the place, didn't even think about the new organisers (I'm not on lamebook) so I thought everyone would be buzzing when i came back here.

I think the line up is very strong, buzzing to see Flogging Molly again, and glad Grace Petrie has been added. Will the pirate ship still be there? loved that indie disco on the Sunday. All my usual pals who go, all got tickets before the line up, i didnt even think about the vibe changing. I've 3 newbies coming too. I loved it as usual last year, my only gripe, as others have said, was the woodland set up, I couldn't get in for Gaz Brookfield, saw queues there a lot..

All positive thoughts for me, and hopefully be just as buzzing after it.

43 minutes ago, Perks said:

Not been on here in a while, the sadness of not getting Glastonbury tickets put me in a mood over the winter. But with BT there's a light, I bloody love the place, didn't even think about the new organisers (I'm not on lamebook) so I thought everyone would be buzzing when i came back here.

I think the line up is very strong, buzzing to see Flogging Molly again, and glad Grace Petrie has been added. Will the pirate ship still be there? loved that indie disco on the Sunday. All my usual pals who go, all got tickets before the line up, i didnt even think about the vibe changing. I've 3 newbies coming too. I loved it as usual last year, my only gripe, as others have said, was the woodland set up, I couldn't get in for Gaz Brookfield, saw queues there a lot..

All positive thoughts for me, and hopefully be just as buzzing after it.

No pirate ship - it appears that's one of the victims of needing to find space and/or budget for the new second stage.

8 hours ago, incident said:

No pirate ship - it appears that's one of the victims of needing to find space and/or budget for the new second stage.

The fact so many people were getting wound up about this on Facebook shows you how bizarre things got on there. Yes it's a bit of fun but if your whole Bearded experience is down to DJs playing stuff out of a mocked up ship, something ain't right.

• Upvote 2

So how big is this New Stage/Big Top Tent (Glastonbury tent comparison) and whereabouts will they place it..?

relative newbie (last 3) and have tickets for this year... Enjoyed  the mix of decent new bands and accomplished mid sized acts. Musical tastes are subjective and BT has (during the short period i have attended) had a good mix of music i really like and stuff that is a complete racket, but it was always easy enough to move on and see something else..

Last year felt very busy and a lot of that seemed down to appalling management of entry to The Woodland (queued for 30 minutes only to find it relatively empty once you got it..). The old management would recognise faults, accept feedback and work to improve... I hope that is the case this year.

The increase in cost certainly seems to be reflected in the depth of 'known' quality... anyone know if there is an expected increase in capacity.? Taking it from a small to mid-size festival (regardless of the musical tastes) might be more likely to spoil the charm...

No idea about the capacity or location of the new tented stage yet, nothing been announced.

Woodland issue should be a lot better if the bigger acts are placed elsewhere.

But like every other festival, with venues that are indoor/inside limited space, will get to full capacity for popular acts. We couldn't get near the Theatre tent last year at Glastonbury for Johnathan Pie, would have to have got inside a lot earlier.

Total capacity this year is same as before, 15k which is what the licence is for.

• Upvote 1

And I'd imagine the Woodland stage would have had a lower capacity now due to having restricted entry/exit points and the need to manage the flow rate to industry guidance if needed to emergency egress from inside. 

Edited by Paul ™