Rock Werchter 2023

BenG92

1 hour ago, charlierc said:

It genuinely baffles me that RHCP have a song as brilliant as Can't Stop and yet that's one they rotate, even moreso given I also like Around the World and would want both (as I believe they did at Reading in 2016). I like the fact they're happy to rotate a lot compared to other acts, as it's something more bands should do imo but there's absolutely other tracks I'd swap out more.

I'm already half-expecting that if I were to go see them next summer, Can't Stop isn't featured.

Well it's not 50% chance for Can't Stop and 50% ATW. It's pretty random how they choose their sets. I think Can't Stop gets played more than ATW after all.

I prefer Around The World though. But I'd also take Soul To Squeeze over Under The Bridge anyday. Or She's A Lover over Snow or Fortune Faded over Otherside... 

30 minutes ago, Archi said:

Fortune Faded over Otherside? Come on...

Anyday, everyday!

Not the biggest fan of Otherside and Snow. Snow is rather boring if you ask me (but live it gets one of the best responses of the entire set, I experienced that multiple times last summer). Otherside I think is "okay" BUT the backings near the end are gold live, but still prefer almost everything from their back catalogue over those 2 songs.

• Upvote 1

18 hours ago, Boss89 said:

Well it's not 50% chance for Can't Stop and 50% ATW. It's pretty random how they choose their sets. I think Can't Stop gets played more than ATW after all.

I prefer Around The World though. But I'd also take Soul To Squeeze over Under The Bridge anyday. Or She's A Lover over Snow or Fortune Faded over Otherside... 

From the look of the sets, yeah, Can't Stop does seem to get the nod more than Around the World rather than being a perfect 50-50 split.

Parallel Universe is also a favourite of mine. But as said, they do seem to pick less predictably. I guess it's a curious one - I'm not as deep on RHCP lore as I am with other acts, so much as I like the fact they rotate, it still makes it a genuine game of chance if I get the songs I'm more up for hearing.

Then again, they're an act I guess are outstanding on my "Not seen them yet" list, and Frusciante being back in the fold does sweeten the deal a little bit.

Edited by charlierc

It was 8 years ago. Which was also their last show in Belgium. Headliners like Pearl Jam or Metallica don't need a strong sub/co on their days at Werchter. In 2022, the sub for Pearl Jam was Pixies and the sub for Metallica was Greta Van Fleet... while RHCP got a strong co-headline with The Killers. The RHCP are coming back a second year in a row and a lot of medias said negative things about their show from 2022. I can't imagine RW booking them again without a strong day around them. If they really put Editors in The Barn, it means they have a strong name to add between RHCP and TBK on the Main.

• Upvote 3

11 hours ago, Archi said:

It was 8 years ago. Which was also their last show in Belgium. Headliners like Pearl Jam or Metallica don't need a strong sub/co on their days at Werchter. In 2022, the sub for Pearl Jam was Pixies and the sub for Metallica was Greta Van Fleet... while RHCP got a strong co-headline with The Killers. The RHCP are coming back a second year in a row and a lot of medias said negative things about their show from 2022. I can't imagine RW booking them again without a strong day around them. If they really put Editors in The Barn, it means they have a strong name to add between RHCP and TBK on the Main.

Well thats not true. The War on Drugs played between Pixies and PJ.

QOTSA was supposed to be the sub/co-headline of Metallica, then they cancelled so it would be GvF and in the end it was Turnstile.

In 2016 Goose subbed RHCP with Editors closing after them.

8 hours ago, Jefferke said:

Well thats not true. The War on Drugs played between Pixies and PJ.

QOTSA was supposed to be the sub/co-headline of Metallica, then they cancelled so it would be GvF and in the end it was Turnstile.

In 2016 Goose subbed RHCP with Editors closing after them.

My bad. I forget about TWOD indeed, sorry. But all your arguments also confirme we should have another strong sub/co for RHCP this year. In 2016, RHCP/Editors was a co-headline. They still had that size 7 years ago, before going to the Barn for 2023. So a band is missing, to play after or before RHCP.

1 hour ago, Archi said:

My bad. I forget about TWOD indeed, sorry. But all your arguments also confirme we should have another strong sub/co for RHCP this year. In 2016, RHCP/Editors was a co-headline. They still had that size 7 years ago, before going to the Barn for 2023. So a band is missing, to play after or before RHCP.

It is indeed seem odd to give Muse a cohead and not rhcp

It all makes sense when you add things up:

1) On the other day lineup pages, the Main Stage sub is above the Barn headliner in the running order (MGK > Fred Again, Rosalia > Christine). We know that Editors are closing the Barn, so The Black Keys' placement below them gives an indication of their statute at RW '23.

2) They're 5th down on the day split poster of Pinkpop, proving that their demands aren't as high as back in 2014.

3) As mentioned before: RHCP played in co-head constructions during their 2 previous visits to RW. Given how their day will now sell slower (due to the repeat booking), they definitely need a bigger act than The Black Keys joining them at the top of the lineup.

• Upvote 2

Aren't Editors a big draw too, though? They headlined TW Classic in 2018, played after RHCP in 2016. I know they're weirdly big in Belgium for a British band that nobody really cares about here. 

Seems like it would make way more sense for it to be TBK > Editors > RHCP on main but apparently insiders say otherwise.