Victorious Festival 2023 Discussion

Jack01825

1 hour ago, Bubblepopelectric said:

Can you imagine the uproar if the people who decided to chance it and not pay still got to use the buses? And what happens if you have forgotten or didn't realise you had to pay for them this time...could easily not spot that fact on the booking page tbf.

that's exactly it  that shuttle bus point at the camp site isn't exactly spacious but the queue has been quite orderly needing just a couple of stewards add in having to check an extra wristband or whichever way they choose to do it is going to be a nightmare.

I think as well they will get a lot next year booking as they previously had and not realising they should have paid for the buses 

Third year in a row and another top weekend was had. Didnt queue for anything which is always a welcome bonus. Hardly ate in the festival except the Lidl's hot dog which was tremendous. So many bars only serving cans was poor but once we found the draughts places, everything worked out well. Cant believe Spoons was closed for refurb, but went round the corner to the little Irish bar. £5.20 for a Guinness is very reasonable. Security checks getting back in were...lax to say the least!

We watched all 3 headliners on the Castle stage so cant comment on the bus queues late at night, was always first on!

Camping was fine. Seem to of got rid of a few toilets by the showers though, and seriously £3 for a tea is just mental.

Oh, and to the absolute ****s who stole our camping chairs on the first night, hope you had a rotten festival afterwards.

Not sure about next year. Expensive enough as it is, without the shuttle bus increase.

• Upvote 1

57 minutes ago, rseamer said:

I think this was the best Victorious yet.

They had clearly taken note of the previous complaints and improved the site with the alterations.

Didn’t queue at all for bars or toilets.

The Sunday was always going to be the busiest day with Mumford headlining - they are still a big pull.

My highlights: Amyl & The Sniffers, Ellie Goulding, Sigrid, Welly

Still an odd festival with the substantial day ticket / casual crowd (it feels like a festival for people that don’t do festivals?) but still a good value ticket.

Also considering it’s on my door step (it took me 13 mins to get home last night after Mumfords) it’s a no brainier.

Booked for next year already. My guess is that the biggest headliner will be either Florence & The Machine or Liam Gallagher.

I’ve been to the last 3 Sunday’s at Victorious. Agreed the alterations improved things on last year. A noticeable reduction this year on smashed 18 year olds - prob the difference between booking Fender and Mumford. It is a casual crowd but generally well behaved/ respectful. I went to APE on Friday and that crowd had just as many chatty/casual/all about me types if not more so. I was surprised by how patient the crowd was for Ben Howard for example given how difficult his music can be.

34 minutes ago, more matey said:

I’ve been to the last 3 Sunday’s at Victorious. Agreed the alterations improved things on last year. A noticeable reduction this year on smashed 18 year olds - prob the difference between booking Fender and Mumford. It is a casual crowd but generally well behaved/ respectful. I went to APE on Friday and that crowd had just as many chatty/casual/all about me types if not more so. I was surprised by how patient the crowd was for Ben Howard for example given how difficult his music can be.

We have been coming down and staying in hotels since 2016 and we also agree that this years festival has improved so much. Queues are barely a thing now (especially if you are timing tactically). We could get whatever food we fancied the majority of the time without having to queue. It hasn't been like that for a few years now. Massive improvement overall. Am hoping for a bit of a better overall line up next year although were some good ones. Being at the front for Amyl and the Sniffers was the highlight for sure.

Did you enjoy Amyl, YYYs and The Strokes at APE? I was quite gutted that this weekend and that event clashed initially. Never seen The Strokes before and always wanted to.

Would love Muse to headline Common Stage one day. Foals would be great also. Fingers crossed!

An enjoyable weekend and the highlights for me were The View, The Enemy, Amyl, Charlatans, Vaccines and Crawlers.

In general I was not blown away by anyone and most of the acts I watched, I have seen multiple times before. I was dissapointed by the clashes and odd placement of acts. The crowd for Amyl was relatively small. They smashed it and am a huge fan but putting them up against Kaisers was a waste when they should have gone with a popular well known act. Missing Kaisers was annoying especially as theywould have  made agood Castle option against JK.

I did not talk to many people but the few I did all moaned about the JK & Tong clash. Ttat one was not an issue for me as I would pick watchiing paint dry over going to see JK. However, I would have loved if they had put Marr, , kaisers, Alt-J or any of the indie options up against JK and offer a real alternative.

The crowd for Marr was tiny but I guess that was always going to be a poison chalice against Mumford. Just wish they had given him a better slot. Watched about 35 mins of Mumford and shipped out for Marr. I am not a huge fan of doing half and half and always feel a bit like  you made the wrong decision, so usually plump for one and be damned. Although, this time I enjoyed both bits.

We have booked tickets for next year and held a hotel room but am shocked by the price increase. Up by over £200 to well over £700 for 4 nights. We will keep checking to  see if we can get a better deal. I think it might need to be real stonker of a headliner line-up for us to go again if the accomadation cost's are going to be so high. So, will watch out with great interest for the headliners as they will be the key to whether we go back and swallow the cost.

I will not be influenced about whether to go next year by the undercard as chances are most of the ones I like I will not get to see. On paper this years under card was very strong for me but the reality was there was to many times the acts I liked clashed and other times when there was no one I cared for.

We have a few other festivals booked for next year including Truck and would expect some cross over on the undercard, so its all about those headliners. At the moment I really have no clue as to who Victoriousoor the other Superstruct festivals will have, so looking forwardto the 2024 debates.

I do like Victorious but it might be getting a little expensive when you factor in hotel, petrol etc and for those camping the shuttle bus charges.

• Like 1

I live close to the campsite, it’s about 1 mile/20mins walk. Normally I use local buses, lifts or taxis to travel down, however this year I was told about people in our local area, near the campsite, buying camping tickets, and just using the buses and not camping.

So out of interest I just priced up tickets for 2 adults and a 15 year old for weekend.

Standard Weekend Tickets: 469.80

Family Camping Tickets: 453.60

shuttle bus extra for camping: 115.50 (569.10 with camping)

12 minutes ago, kelstar said:

I live close to the campsite, it’s about 1 mile/20mins walk. Normally I use local buses, lifts or taxis to travel down, however this year I was told about people in our local area, near the campsite, buying camping tickets, and just using the buses and not camping.

So out of interest I just priced up tickets for 2 adults and a 15 year old for weekend.

Standard Weekend Tickets: 469.80

Family Camping Tickets: 453.60

shuttle bus extra for camping: 115.50 (569.10 with camping)

Think I am half asleep but are you saying that people who hadn't bought camping tickets were just using the shuttle buses? Come to think if it, the past two years we went (didn't go this year) we never showed our wristbands to get on the buses. 

To go next year with the big price increase due to paying for the buses, there will have to be an outstanding line up for us. Victorious is no longer the budget festival when going for the full weekend. And going for one day is not an option as we don't live nearby. I read about the chaos once again getting the shuttle buses back to the park and ride this year.

41 minutes ago, Dales said:

We have booked tickets for next year and held a hotel room but am shocked by the price increase. Up by over £200 to well over £700 for 4 nights. We will keep checking to  see if we can get a better deal. I think it might need to be real stonker of a headliner line-up for us to go again if the accomadation cost's are going to be so high. So, will watch out with great interest for the headliners as they will be the key to whether we go back and swallow the cost.

I do like Victorious but it might be getting a little expensive when you factor in hotel, petrol etc and for those camping the shuttle bus charges.

You should look at Portsmouth Uni accommodation, especially Rees Hall which is opposite the festival site. Goes on sale in January; sells out quite quickly, especially the double rooms.

FFortis year's festival I paid £220 for three nights bed and breakfast in a single room with ensuitebathroom, and could have added Thursday night for another £60. I believe the double rooms were £290.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Frangipane said:

You should look at Portsmouth Uni accommodation, especially Rees Hall which is opposite the festival site. Goes on sale in January; sells out quite quickly, especially the double rooms.

FFortis year's festival I paid £220 for three nights bed and breakfast in a single room with ensuitebathroom, and could have added Thursday night for another £60. I believe the double rooms were £290.

Thanks.

We booked the same accomadation when we got back to the hotel on Sunday night with cancellation, so we have scope to look for alternatives.

I am just finding it harder and harder to justify the costs especially on that weekend. I live within walking distance of APE and work for the NHS and so could have got free tickets for most days and entered NHS draws for others. So, it's starting to look like madness to be spending a lot that weekend when I could stay at home with no travel costs and  good chance of freebie tickets. The problem being that APE's lineups seem to get worse year on year (Well for me tastes). The only one I was gutted to miss was The Strokes and they seemed to have been panned by reviews but that had some great support acts.

Off to APE later for Haim with free NHS tickets.

Think, I am suffering Festival Fatigue and done to many this summer and so need to plan next year better for time breaks between weekends aways and total costs.

19 minutes ago, Bubblepopelectric said:

Think I am half asleep but are you saying that people who hadn't bought camping tickets were just using the shuttle buses? Come to think if it, the past two years we went (didn't go this year) we never showed our wristbands to get on the buses. 

Hahaha! Yeah I’m feeling it today, not moved off my sofa much!

They bought camping tickets, but didn’t camp, just used the shuttle buses. They went and got their camping wristbands, and just went home each night xx

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Dales said:

An enjoyable weekend and the highlights for me were The View, The Enemy, Amyl, Charlatans, Vaccines and Crawlers.

In general I was not blown away by anyone and most of the acts I watched, I have seen multiple times before. I was dissapointed by the clashes and odd placement of acts. The crowd for Amyl was relatively small. They smashed it and am a huge fan but putting them up against Kaisers was a waste when they should have gone with a popular well known act. Missing Kaisers was annoying especially as theywould have  made agood Castle option against JK.

I did not talk to many people but the few I did all moaned about the JK & Tong clash. Ttat one was not an issue for me as I would pick watchiing paint dry over going to see JK. However, I would have loved if they had put Marr, , kaisers, Alt-J or any of the indie options up against JK and offer a real alternative.

The crowd for Marr was tiny but I guess that was always going to be a poison chalice against Mumford. Just wish they had given him a better slot. Watched about 35 mins of Mumford and shipped out for Marr. I am not a huge fan of doing half and half and always feel a bit like  you made the wrong decision, so usually plump for one and be damned. Although, this time I enjoyed both bits.

I will not be influenced about whether to go next year by the undercard as chances are most of the ones I like I will not get to see. On paper this years under card was very strong for me but the reality was there was to many times the acts I liked clashed and other times when there was no one I cared for.

We have a few other festivals booked for next year including Truck and would expect some cross over on the undercard, so its all about those headliners. At the moment I really have no clue as to who Victoriousoor the other Superstruct festivals will have, so looking forwardto the 2024 debates.

2 hours ago, Frangipane said:

These prices are way beyond what Victorious is worth, in my opinion.

I had 4 nights booked with a single room for £112, albeit the facilities were shared. I thought that was pushing it onto a ticket price and was only going as The Coral, Imbruglia and a drive to Sandbanks on spare days seemed good.

prices for next year have gone up again.cant believe what some are charging. trying to get somewhere is hard around 70% of places have gone. ibis budjet cheapest  ive found at £487. sent a couple of emails off to  other places but no reply yet. may have to be uni digs again which ok for me but cant see mrs liking as double for 2 cramped . stayed at unite halls greetham st this year,which fine for me and walk was easy 25 mins.anyone stayed at other halls  and can say  which do best doubles or do they do a fam room

2 hours ago, K2SO said:

Went for the day on Saturday. Highlight was when Kate Nash asking for people to shout the name of a dickhead down the mic, somebody said Tom Meighan. Brilliant.

I loved how everybody went for the full name with surname right off the bat. LOL

• 2 months later...
On 7/29/2023 at 1:06 PM, rseamer said:

I’ve never understood why festival app designers put so much energy into

functions in that rely on your mobile signal / 4G / 5G being available on site when the site is a black spot. 

Funny enough I was looking to see what people think about festival apps and I'm actually the designer building one, amazing that you pointed the signal part as this is the core thing we're focusing on, not being internet reliant and be able to fully work offline, also our festival app is focused on integrating all the festivals inside at some point and have the best calendar view!