Football 2022/23

charlierc

1 hour ago, thetime said:

Never known the footie forum so quiet from Liverpool fans, been rammed with them last 3 years. 😁

I mean I’m not sure what you expect … I’m sure every group of fans go quiet when their team is struggling … don’t think anyone’s walking alone in that ? 

2 minutes ago, Crazyfool01 said:

I mean I’m not sure what you expect … I’m sure every group of fans go quiet when their team is struggling … don’t think anyone’s walking alone in that ? 

I dunno Man utd have been shit for 10 years, plus Newcastle fans on here have been very vocal down the years and they have hardly been succesful.

35 minutes ago, thetime said:

I dunno Man utd have been shit for 10 years, plus Newcastle fans on here have been very vocal down the years and they have hardly been succesful.

its no shock to me at least any set of fans going quiet after a period of success .... and then maybe accepting where they are and posting again while they hope for improvements .... doubt anyones stopped supporting them 

4 hours ago, thetime said:

Never known the footie forum so quiet from Liverpool fans, been rammed with them last 3 years. 😁

same applies with man utd fans, i almost miss that arrogance. 😛

1 hour ago, pink_triangle said:

I keep assuming Man City will go on one of those monster runs we have got used to, but every time Arsenal open the door, City seem to fail to take advantage.

I look at the Man City midfield of Mahrez, Rodri, Grealish, Silva and it seems a downgrade compared to previous years. 

Agreed. This was a golden chance to close the gap and they blew it, keeping the bizarre run going as to how they keep going to the Tottenham Stadium to fall flat on their face. Lost every visit without scoring - a run that Aston Villa have already bettered by winning there this season (let alone also doing so in 2021).

It just all seems a bit strange how they have such a talented squad but never quite seem to be in perfect sync with Haaland, which should've made them untouchable.

3 hours ago, pink_triangle said:

I’m thinking Southampton, Bournemouth and Leeds for relegation now.

Until this weekend I was thinking Everton, Southampton and one of Bournemouth or Leeds. It could yet come down to that, but Dyche's instant impact hints Everton may not be as abysmal as they were under Lampard, and might not even need new signings to crawl over the line. Though long way to go ofc.

Indeed, still a lot of games yet, and Spurs closing the gap to 1 point does erode my confidence a little that Newcastle can keep them at bay, though beating them at SJP in April would help, as would Spurs being distracted by still being in the FA Cup and Champions League.

19 minutes ago, charlierc said:

Indeed, still a lot of games yet, and Spurs closing the gap to 1 point does erode my confidence a little that Newcastle can keep them at bay, though beating them at SJP in April would help, as would Spurs being distracted by still being in the FA Cup and Champions League.

Newcastle lack of goals, seems to be catching up with them. 

Newcastle best chance of champions league could be this season, rather than next. As you have a nice schedule without European football. Add in that Liverpool and Chelsea being woeful. 

35 minutes ago, charlierc said:

It just all seems a bit strange how they have such a talented squad but never quite seem to be in perfect sync with Haaland, which should've made them untouchable.

I am starting to wonder if the talented squad thing has been exaggerated. I think back at the great midfielders of the past like David Silva, Yaya Toure and Fernandinho. The likes of Grealish, Bernardo, mahrez and Rodri are a level down.

34 minutes ago, charlierc said:

Until this weekend I was thinking Everton, Southampton and one of Bournemouth or Leeds. It could yet come down to that, but Dyche's instant impact hints Everton may not be as abysmal as they were under Lampard, and might not even need new signings to crawl over the line. Though long way to go ofc.

Bournemouth are my certs. I support a 5th tier team and would have been disappointed if we had appointed Gary O Neil as manager.

1 hour ago, pink_triangle said:

I keep assuming Man City will go on one of those monster runs we have got used to, but every time Arsenal open the door, City seem to fail to take advantage.

I look at the Man City midfield of Mahrez, Rodri, Grealish, Silva and it seems a downgrade compared to previous years. 

city aren't that good, and pep doesn't know what hes doing.

Liverpool: Utterly atrocious season. Keep hoping the injured players returning will help, which to an extent they will, but the midfield is completely non existent. Attack can't do much without the supply. I might sound crazy saying this but I don't think we really need attacking signings and not desperate in defence either. The midfield is in desperate need of an overhaul though. 3 signings needed minimum. Can't see it happening though, especially without Champions League (would rather avoid Europe than end up in Europa/Conference League).

City: I would be amazed if anything came of this, much like the UEFA FFP result.

Arsenal: Feels like they're written to win the league this year. As someone else said... the minute they drop points and leave hte door open, City don't seem to be capitalising. I think if they win 1 of the 2 games against City coming up they'll win the league.

1 hour ago, DareToDibble said:

Liverpool: Utterly atrocious season. Keep hoping the injured players returning will help, which to an extent they will, but the midfield is completely non existent. Attack can't do much without the supply. I might sound crazy saying this but I don't think we really need attacking signings and not desperate in defence either. The midfield is in desperate need of an overhaul though. 3 signings needed minimum. Can't see it happening though, especially without Champions League (would rather avoid Europe than end up in Europa/Conference League).

The thing is the likes of Allison, Robertson and VVD have got sloppy, I’m not sure it’s all down to midfield. They are also not losing to City, Arsenal, Man U etc, but teams with worse midfielders. I think you have to look at the manager when everyone is playing worse.