2023 Festival

TheWaters

Becky Hill is such a weird one, she always gets a huge crowd but never is in massive slots.

She played 3rd down on Victorious's second stage last year, given that she'd be a pretty poor R1 headliner and I think people would probably be complaining

39 minutes ago, gfa said:

The new format worked very well the last 2 years, theres always off years. Would i prefer the old setup - sure? but I think we need to give it another year until we can properly see if its gone to complete shit. Constant moaning achieves nothing

I've realised the festival has been aimed at 16-20 year olds for years and doesn't cater to me much anymore now i've grown up and instead head elsewhere, probably something you need to do 😂 Plenty of other great festivals that weekend, let alone across the entirety of summer.

That’s the whole point it did used to cater to everyone (on the alternative spectrum) and to a large extent still does, which is now it’s problem.

Previously with two additional stage choices, there was a far higher chance of something you like being on.

That is no longer so. For pretty much everyone there will be long periods where due to two less options, there will be nothing to se

I’ve given it two years, enjoyed both years, it’s just not the same value any more.

If you’re happy just seeing 3-4 bands a day and otherwise chilling/ partying at your camp, I think it’s still a great festival. There are much cheaper alternatives now though, unless you’re desperate to see the top-headline talent. 

I am moving on, not because I think the lineup is utterly shite, I’m sure as ever I’ll find a lot to like, just because for me it’s in no way worth 300 quid

56 minutes ago, stanh said:

Personally I think after 2019 is really where I noticed the decline, 2019 was amazing, 2021 was decent, 2022 wasn't great, 2023 I'm not going - I've found myself spending more and more time in the campsite as the years have gone on, due to there being nothing half decent to watch, for me or my friends music tastes.

This is exactly my point. There’s no longer the options/ choice you had pre-format change

It’s that simple. The value is no longer there because there is less you want to see as there is less booked

Yet the price goes up…

24 minutes ago, wro_lap said:

Yes - both quite right. Opposite Fender maybe instead!

Against Killers would’ve been perfect

clashes were a strength of the festival in days gone.

You shouldn’t be stuck for a choice at headline time at a £300 festival

3 minutes ago, Benj said:

This is exactly my point. There’s no longer the options/ choice you had pre-format change

It’s that simple. The value is no longer there because there is less you want to see as there is less booked

Yet the price goes up…

Honestly don't think anyone is trying to dispute that though - I think the majority of us dislike the two main stage format, and the general reduction in artists. As Gfa said, I just don't really think I'm the main target audience for it anymore, so will go to a festival with a more suited lineup instead, it's a shame, but not a problem.

11 minutes ago, Benj said:

That’s the whole point it did used to cater to everyone (on the alternative spectrum) and to a large extent still does, which is now it’s problem.

Previously with two additional stage choices, there was a far higher chance of something you like being on.

That is no longer so. For pretty much everyone there will be long periods where due to two less options, there will be nothing to se

I’ve given it two years, enjoyed both years, it’s just not the same value any more.

If you’re happy just seeing 3-4 bands a day and otherwise chilling/ partying at your camp, I think it’s still a great festival. There are much cheaper alternatives now though, unless you’re desperate to see the top-headline talent. 

I am moving on, not because I think the lineup is utterly shite, I’m sure as ever I’ll find a lot to like, just because for me it’s in no way worth 300 quid

Not sure on just 3-4 acts a day, there's far more than that on even with this poor lineup year

I've only done the two and thought 2021 was far better than 2018. Main stage had bigger acts on all day, tons of indie which pleased some of our group inc me plus more rap for the rest of my group. Smaller stages had a decent mix of stuff, got to see some acts like Bakar who were on the way up at that point and others

Fair enough with the price, its a lot (even more coming from the US) and I can't justify it either. for my taste truck, victorious etc are half the price and basically do just as good job unless I want to see the killers - but with those fests I definitely don't get the variety of acts - no bicep etc. would be more up for the non rock big slot acts if they weren't shit tbf - capaldi and imagine dragons ffs

---

I do dislike the two main stage format but it did work better for me in 2021, not sure for my tastes that lineup could easily be matched. was absolute jam packed with landfill indie tbh

Edited by gfa

40 minutes ago, stanh said:

Honestly don't think anyone is trying to dispute that though - I think the majority of us dislike the two main stage format, and the general reduction in artists. As Gfa said, I just don't really think I'm the main target audience for it anymore, so will go to a festival with a more suited lineup instead, it's a shame, but not a problem.

It’s not a problem. This is a Reading Festival discussion though, so it will be discussed…

People move on, it’s just that suddenly A LOT of people are moving on and far fewer seem happy

Edited by Benj

30 minutes ago, gfa said:

Not sure on just 3-4 acts a day, there's far more than that on even with this poor lineup year

I've only done the two and thought 2021 was far better than 2018. Main stage had bigger acts on all day, tons of indie which pleased some of our group inc me plus more rap for the rest of my group. Smaller stages had a decent mix of stuff, got to see some acts like Bakar who were on the way up at that point and others

Fair enough with the price, its a lot (even more coming from the US) and I can't justify it either. for my taste truck, victorious etc are half the price and basically do just as good job unless I want to see the killers - but with those fests I definitely don't get the variety of acts - no bicep etc. would be more up for the non rock big slot acts if they weren't shit tbf - capaldi and imagine dragons ffs

---

I do dislike the two main stage format but it did work better for me in 2021, not sure for my tastes that lineup could easily be matched. was absolute jam packed with landfill indie tbh

If you end up liking everything on the main stage(s) then I’m sure the two stage thing is great. 

Chances are it won’t though. The whole festival felt empty at times last year though as the kids came in and out for the few acts they wanted to see.

The Saturday for me would’ve been hell this year (again assuming no one sticks out in the FR) bar Baby Queen and certainly post Humberstone the whole day is a write off until the Killers are on  

(although just looked at the Clashfinder and seen that KennyHoopla clashes with  Capaldi, so that would’ve been a happy clash!)

10 minutes ago, Benj said:

It’s not a problem. This is a Reading Festival discussion though, so it will be discussed…

People move on, it’s just that suddenly A LOT of people are moving on and far fewer seem happy

I know it'll be discussed, however, it's the same points being said again and again and again.  

7 minutes ago, stanh said:

I know it'll be discussed, however, it's the same points being said again and again and again.  

Yup because they’re evident after the lineup drop

People are expecting Yungblud or maybe some big names to justify their spend and…oh

And let’s face it there’s not really much else to chat about. 

I suspect this place will be properly dead next year

1 hour ago, gfa said:

The new format worked very well the last 2 years, theres always off years. Would i prefer the old setup - sure? but I think we need to give it another year until we can properly see if its gone to complete shit. Constant moaning achieves nothing

What a load of nonsense. The arena is completely different since the 2 main stages con was brought in - way less acts, way worse atmosphere, way less options and bizarre, plain silly placements.

As if another year is going to change any of that. You just keep buying into the con.

What doesn't achieve anything is just accepting the downturn in quality and value for money and still throwing your money at it. Voicing your displeasure and not buying a ticket are the only ways to try and change things, not the other way round. 

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, JSmurphy said:

It's an odd choice to stick with the name 'Dance Stage' rather than renaming it to something more appropriate, it's been several years now since they've started to branch out into different genres. 

Helps sell the festival, people can tell there mates 'There's a dance stage for you', when they moan about all the rock on the lineup...

36 minutes ago, Nobby's Old Boots said:

What a load of nonsense. The arena is completely different since the 2 main stages con was brought in - way less acts, way worse atmosphere, way less options and bizarre, plain silly placements.

As if another year is going to change any of that. You just keep buying into the con.

What doesn't achieve anything is just accepting the downturn in quality and value for money and still throwing your money at it. Voicing your displeasure and not buying a ticket are the only ways to try and change things, not the other way round. 

Is right Nobby!  FIGHT THE FIGHT. WE VOTE WITH OUR FEET! 

I thought the lineup looked familiar..

Sam Fender, Mimi Webb, Tion Wayne, Yard Act, Sea Girls, Hedex, Noisy, Yonaka, Meekz, DJ Target, Central Cee, Nothing But Thieves, Inhaler, Holly Humberstone, Baby Queen, Slowthai, Easy Life, MK, Kennyhoopla, Kenny Allstar, Declan McKenna, Bakar, Becky Hill, Don Broco, The Snuts, Hot Milk, Shy FX, Harriet Jaxxson...

All of these acts played R&L in 2021. Two years ago. 25% of all acts announced thus far, excluding the headliners, played the festival two. years. ago.

It gets worse too - 16 of those listed acts are booked on the Main Stages. 48% of all of this year's Main Stage acts, excluding headliners, appeared two years ago. 

For reference, 15% repeat booking rate between 2010 & 2012.

I can forgive the smaller acts getting a bump up the bill but how do you book a lineup this unimaginative!? 

Why reduce the amount of stages on offer and then re-book a signficant portion of a lineup, further limiting the options on offer for regulars? 

It's bad. 

• Upvote 7

MK has headlines the Dance Tent for the last 3/4 festivals, I swear. Shy FX have subbed it that many times too, surely. Andy C must be on his 5/6th festival in a row too. Surely this lineup doesn’t appeal to dance music fans when Creamfields exists*? 

* actually, I know the answer to this as my mate’s brother and his friends (who are massively into dance/electronic music) used to come with us every year up until about 4/5 years ago because they said the dance acts were crap. It’s only gotten worse since then. 

Edited by Andre91

13 minutes ago, JSmurphy said:

Sam Fender, Mimi Webb, Tion Wayne, Yard Act, Sea Girls, Hedex, Noisy, Yonaka, Meekz, DJ Target, Central Cee, Nothing But Thieves, Inhaler, Holly Humberstone, Baby Queen, Slowthai, Easy Life, MK, Kennyhoopla, Kenny Allstar, Declan McKenna, Bakar, Becky Hill, Don Broco, The Snuts, Hot Milk, Shy FX, Harriet Jaxxson...

All of these acts played R&L in 2021. Two years ago. 25% of all acts announced thus far, excluding the headliners, played the festival two. years. ago.

It gets worse too - 16 of those listed acts are booked on the Main Stages. 48% of all of this year's Main Stage acts, excluding headliners, appeared two years ago. 

I can forgive the smaller acts getting a bump up the bill but how do you book a lineup this unimaginative!? 

Why reduce the amount of stages on offer and then re-book a signficant portion of a lineup, further limiting the options on offer for regulars? 

It's bad. 

Jeez, that is bad and shows how little they have to choose from these days, with the smaller festivals eating up so many options

It will be v interesting to look at who Victorious have managed to snap up the same weekend - https://www.victoriousfestival.co.uk

Also a shame Live Nation is booking the likes of Jamie T, Idles, Boy Genius to play separate shows in London, creating their own competition.

All would’ve been great adds.

Edited by Benj

Also, the acts they book to play the 1xtra tent have been getting smaller and smaller too, I’m sure. That tent is awfully attended from what I’ve seen over the last couple of years. Ghetts headlined it year before last and had about 200 people there; Pa Salieu last year genuinely had about 50 people in the tent. It was really sad to see. 

2 hours ago, Benj said:

If you end up liking everything on the main stage(s) then I’m sure the two stage thing is great. 

Chances are it won’t though. The whole festival felt empty at times last year though as the kids came in and out for the few acts they wanted to see.

The Saturday for me would’ve been hell this year (again assuming no one sticks out in the FR) bar Baby Queen and certainly post Humberstone the whole day is a write off until the Killers are on  

(although just looked at the Clashfinder and seen that KennyHoopla clashes with  Capaldi, so that would’ve been a happy clash!)

For sure re two main stages. see lower where i tagged you

2 hours ago, Nobby's Old Boots said:

1. i don't have a ticket and didn't last year, how am i buying into the con

2. https://clashfinder.com/s/read21/?user=gfa& here's what i did in 2021 (left post malone early for the disco). Pretty full days, not got much to complain about myself.

not been since as i wasn't that impressed, theres plenty of fests and to expect your favourite acts at a single one is silly. i didn't do 2019 either as i wasn't a fan of the headliners. obviously doesn't help when the '6' headliners are split between different genres

48 minutes ago, JSmurphy said:

It's bad. 

This is pretty standard at uk festivals across the board. Look at superstruct festivals, let alone creamfields for instance. Remember how high the turnover is at reading, remember when people were begging for post malone the year after he played, or sam fender last summer. no doubt will be the same with AM next year.

one of the bigger acts who isn't a returnee is steve lacy and he just got slander for being from tiktok etc

https://clashfinder.com/s/read23/?user=gfa&

pretty poor, i'd say they are spread too thin on genres but it did work well for my 2021 having a mix so not sure.

mixing this and @Benjcomment about liking the two main stage in 2021 -

I'm a one genre man (indie) well dance as well but not expecting that from reading and while the 2021 was good for me a lot of the big acts that do the rounds all played that year, two door wombats blossoms etc so then unless they repeat those bookings every few years then i'd just want to go somewhere else unless a big headliner is pulling me in (ala AM but i saw them elsewhere)

I think the key issue is acts the size of those mid tier indie acts aren't getting there any more or have gone too fast to big slots e.g. gerry, fender. It seems to be the same with rock acts if not even worse and obviously these acts can do headline gigs at superstruct fests / trees / slam dunk / headline a stage at download which is probably more enticing.

just look at victorious who we could have had acts from, theres what kasabian vaccines kaisers thats about it really. chartalans well past it for r&l. bit of a monster post this lol - but yeah those acts aren't going to make a buzz and then like who else could they even book? sure people would be happy with two door back but they basically just played - i think the mid size pool is just smaller maybe than it used to be.

Thats before thinking about whos touring who isn't and who is elsewhere and can't make it

39 minutes ago, Andre91 said:

MK has headlines the Dance Tent for the last 3/4 festivals, I swear. Shy FX have subbed it that many times too, surely. Andy C must be on his 5/6th festival in a row too. Surely this lineup doesn’t appeal to dance music fans when Creamfields exists*? 

* actually, I know the answer to this as my mate’s brother and his friends (who are massively into dance/electronic music) used to come with us every year up until about 4/5 years ago because they said the dance acts were crap. It’s only gotten worse since then. 

this kind of thing happens at most camping festivals that don't do dance properly e.g. truck, y not. think its just something to go to and obviously cheap to run dance fests. is always popular even when its the same acts again and again and reading doesn't properly cater to dance fans so never going to be worth having more dance tents or whatever

to be fair they did used to have more better dance acts but i feel theres not much choice for younger more relevant main stage ones that 16 year olds actually know. thats why they pick the ones they do, 16 year olds don't know the picks people who actually want to see dance music like or even like michael bibi, patrick topping etc yet

Edited by gfa

50 minutes ago, JSmurphy said:

Fascinating. Goes a long way to explaining why the year looks so bad not only on the surface but subconsciously.

I did a similar thing for Download 2022 but looked at the history of the festival - since DL is notorious for bland bookings - and realised why 2022 looked so boring. It was the EXACT trio of subheadliners that had appeared most at the festival over the years although never in that exact configuration. 

It's definitely time for a new UK rock weekender that fills the void left by the LnR of old. Not metal but heavier than, I dunno, Truck Fest. 

Edited by BenG92

TLDR i guess would be the current format would be great if it was just rock and indie still or like pop and rap, but it doesn't work with 4-5 major genres at the fest. I guess that means its unworkable really as they need all these genres or it wouldn't survive so here we are with me saying once again that i agree the old format is better lol

19 minutes ago, BenG92 said:

Fascinating. Goes a long way to explaining why the year looks so bad not only on the surface but subconsciously.

I did a similar thing for Download 2022 but looked at the history of the festival - since DL is notorious for bland bookings - and realised why 2022 looked so boring. It was the EXACT trio of subheadliners that had appeared most at the festival over the years although never in that exact configuration. 

It's definitely time for a new UK rock weekender that fills the void left by the LnR of old. Not metal but heavier than, I dunno, Truck Fest. 

A new festival would be great.

I do think that Slam Dunk needs to become a two day camping festival with lineups rotating each day between North and South though. 

• Upvote 2

It’s funny that while peoples tastes seem to be expanding beyond a single genre, festivals seem to have become more and more niche. 

For me Reading’s strength has always been its diversity, if under the ‘alternative/ non-pop/ non world music’ banner. 

I don’t want an Indie festival, a hard rock festival, a rap festival, a dance festival, I want a bit of everything. I seem to be in the minority  

Nowhere really seems to provide this anymore (bar glasto really but it’s always been a bit weak on the heavier stuff). In fact Reading is still probably best, it’s just got so weak in its depth and lost its nerve in booking more niche acts.

Reading has the capacity to fill tents with people who want to see what is billed, they just can’t seem to bill it any more. 

As covered Knocked Loose etc will play to a half full tent, as that genre is not well enough represented

They seem to have really lost their way trying to appeal to people who don’t seem to actually like music much!

1 hour ago, gfa said:

TLDR i guess would be the current format would be great if it was just rock and indie still or like pop and rap, but it doesn't work with 4-5 major genres at the fest. I guess that means its unworkable really as they need all these genres or it wouldn't survive so here we are with me saying once again that i agree the old format is better lol

Haha, yup basically without the previous depth that offered choice, you can be left with little to see.

Its why I think they’re flirting with disaster, as they risk appealing to no one with the new lack of depth, while being genre specific is unsustainable for a festival that big, esp when it relies on what’s ‘cool’ so much. Loose the kids now and who’s going to Reading? Not us, richer demographic, regulars who they seem happy to fuck off

New line-up changes little to me - there's a few acts scattered around I'd see, and indeed if it had a Killers/Foals day, I could've been persuadable to go anyway. But it's too spread around to justify it to me, so I think I'll look elsewhere.

Frank Turner playing Leeds on the Saturday caught me by surprise as he's meant to be playing a festival on the outskirts of Buckingham that evening, a full 3 hours south. Hints to me he might be on quite early.