victorious 2022

retrokev

Fun day! Toilets much better for the girls this year! some fun acts! No way scouting should been at acoustic jam packed! Comedy tents not even worth going! in half way in the tent couldnt hear anything such a shame! Castle was so busy and expect it to be today with so many good acts over that way 

Yep agree on both points that the site is so much busier than last year but the toilet situation is much better.  Possibly the worst phone signal I’ve ever had anywhere in the world!! (What’s that about).

Fun day though, Sugerbabes and The Wombats my highlights.  Really enjoyed sitting there at the end of the day listening to Stephen Fretwell “, very glad we left Paolo after 5 songs! 

Right… onto today

1 hour ago, sisco said:

Possibly the worst phone signal I’ve ever had anywhere in the world!! (What’s that about).

Phone signal is fine any other day of the year, but I'm guessing they don't put any temp masts up for the festival (or if they do it's not for my network!).

Sugababes were great, but there seemed to be a mass exodus when they finished. Looks like the idea of putting a big name on early to get people in all day doesn't work when they can pop over to the nearest wetherspoons for a cheaper pint.

Today was pretty good, Fender was great. Felt the lower slots personally where pretty weak, but it’s one of those things.

Didn't go rest of the weekend but have been going the last few years and it’s definitely the busiest I’ve ever seen it. It was incredibly crowded for Becky Hill over on the other side of the site. As others have said phone signal was shite and prevented me meeting up with others, it’s not the end of the world but if they’re gonna continue to have that level of capacity they’ll leave to figure something out. Bar by the main stage was easy for most the day. Then the wifi went for a good 30 mins and they wouldn’t take cash. A complete shit show on that front. 

As long as they keep improving with the headliners and get some decent subs though I’ll be back.

Great acts sunday but insanely busy espically around castle unsafe and some idiots throwing bottles around! Either reduce the crowd or use common for the bigger acts! ton of people passing out in the crowd. overall really fun acts on! toilets never an issue this year! Saturday was busy but really chilled for most parts! 

So having been for the first time last year and returning this year here are my thoughts:

* Toilets we’re a massive improvement this year, no really issues at all

* Much busier this year and that made some of the area feel unsafe.  For instance bad placements for Becky Hill and Sophie Ellis Bexter (could have easily swapped for Amy McDonald and Metronomy)

* Phone signal awful which not only effected the chances of meeting people etc… but seemed to stop lots of places accepting a card!!

* Queues for food we’re crazy at times, not sure how you improve it though as you run out of space

* The acts were really good and for me it’s worth the money.  The kids loved it so I’ve no doubt we’ll be back

Having just done All Points East on Friday, coming to Victorious yesterday was a bit of a contrast! Incredibly busy with a much broader demographic. 

That said, I came with my wife and took the kids to their first festival as a ‘try out’ and the kids area was big, well laid out and loads to do (included in the price). They all had a great time and the vibe was way more chilled in this area than everywhere else. The food options in the far corner were quiet with no queuing.

In terms of music, I started the day with Honeyglaze who were excellent but I think I was the only one who enjoyed them - very much a GM/EOTR band. 

After sending my v tired but happy kids and wife back to the hotel I then did Metronomy - Suede - Sam Fender. 

Surprised (but pleased) to arrive at the Common Stage at 6.30 and get 5 rows from the front. Metronomy were fun. As a non-fan, I thought Suede were decent but Brett seemed frustrated with the crowd and cut their set short?

I’ve seen Sam Fender many times over the last 5 years. You could tell it was nearing the end of the album tour cycle. That said, he gave it his all and the crowd were up for it. I actually had to give up my front row spot to get to the ‘action’ as a big pit formed behind me for Spice/Howden. I always feel Fender gigs don’t really kick into gear until those songs. Total carnage as usual for those songs. The rest was great from there.

I went to Victorious last year for the RB/Fontaines day and I’d say attendance yesterday was nearly double. That said, I still had a good day as did my family.

Edited by more matey

Being a Portsmouth girl, I’ve been to Victorious nearly every year (except 2012 - the first one)

This year I felt the stage planning was totally wrong!

The crowd levels on castle field for Sophie/Becky Hill was horrendous and totally unsafe. My husband took our kids to the toilet and they were being pushed and shoved by aggressive men/boys. I honestly thought Becky Hill was going to stop her set, after she stopped singing to tell people to calm down.

comedy tent! Too small should of been a stage.

castle field toilets were unusable for ladies after 8pm.

Apart from the chaos and lack of usable toilets, pretty good weekend x

Sadly, I am disappointed with my day at Victorious. The lineup was amazing and the acts themselves did not disappoint. Despite this, the two things that let it down were severe overcrowding/mismanagement at the castle stage and selfish attendees (not everyone of course, but a significant minority). 

My partner dragged me along to Becky Hill and the stage was ridiculously busy. There was no crowd control. A stage like that (with entries on the side) needs thought about how to get people flowing in and out. Maybe a one way entrance/exit. Also, the toilets were disgusting near this stage. A river of piss coming from the urinals. They put urinals way too close together as well and weirdly near to portloos that woman were queueing for. 

Regarding the selfish crowd, two particular incidents stand out.

During Becky Hill, a woman pushed her way through the crowd (knocking people out the way in the process). I then overheard her say something to the effect of "it would take ages to stay excuse me to everyone so you just have to push everyone out the way". I can't stand these kind of people. If you want to be near the front, come early. If you really do need to come past, be polite. It is common decency. 

Secondly, whilst watching Sam Fender a guy behind us started pissing and it splashed over the back of my partners and my leg. When I had a go at him for it, him and his friends general attitude was 'it is a festival, this is what happens'.  Completely disgusting behaviour and the arrogance after it made it even worse. Really tainted watching an act my partner and I have being looking forward to seeing for a year. 

Apologies this is a bit of an essay. I just needed to vent. I have left the festival doubting whether these large festivals are really for me anymore. Smaller festivals with a community feel are much more enjoyable and people look out for each other. I'll be booking a Sam Fender gig when he next tours the UK so I can enjoy it without piss down my leg. As that is my standout memory from my first time seeing him. 

Just got back. Not sure if we would go back unless there was a really good line up next year but even then I don't think we would camp there ever again. Shuttle buses were horrendous, why don't they have buses at each end of the site? It was way oversold yesterday, got quite dangerous at Castle Stage.

Surprise highlight was Utah Saints on the Beats and Swings stage - old school clubbing where lots of people my age were reliving their clubbing youth! Enjoyed 'Phonics, Ocean Colour Scene and Example.

Totally agree with the behaviour of some of the crowd there. We stopped going to Reading Festival because of this but got fed up of the 'well you are at a festival so what do you expect' attitude (it was the same on the campsite - didn't sleep a wink all night because of loud music, very loud voices and shouting/singing). Felt like courtesy went out of the window because it's 'expected' when you are at a festival. 

On the way home now, Mrs is driving, so I'll post a bit.

I can only echo what others have said. It was easily the busiest I've ever seen Victorious. Sadly as well, the biggest pulls are the current chart acts and I worry what direction the festival is headed. The 3 guys who started Victorious said they always used to go to V and they were well aware of what happened to that festival and they wouldn't fall into the same trap. 

Thing is, now Superstruct own it so I wonder how much say they have anymore, but if they go TOO far down the pop current route, it will drive their regulars away and then say one year they can't get the latest pop trends it will bite them in the ass and die like V did. 

It's becoming a victim of its own success. That said, they completely messed up not having Common Stage on Sunday as Sam Fender, Anne Marie and Becky Hill as top 3 

Castle as Suede headlining, Nothing But Thieves, Editors. 

Would have been much better. 

I've already been thinking about who they can get in next year, the current pop acts, I really don't know too much who they can bring in. Tom Grennan I imagine. 

Surely they get Kasabian next year though unless they do Reading and Leeds. 

Surely time for the return of Travis, Charlatans, Kaiser Chiefs maybe get Franz back. 

Olly Murs would be a good pick for an early afternoon special guest slot. Maybe Kaiser's could do that slot too. 

10 minutes ago, luckysalt said:

On the way home now, Mrs is driving, so I'll post a bit.

I can only echo what others have said. It was easily the busiest I've ever seen Victorious. Sadly as well, the biggest pulls are the current chart acts and I worry what direction the festival is headed. The 3 guys who started Victorious said they always used to go to V and they were well aware of what happened to that festival and they wouldn't fall into the same trap. 

Thing is, now Superstruct own it so I wonder how much say they have anymore, but if they go TOO far down the pop current route, it will drive their regulars away and then say one year they can't get the latest pop trends it will bite them in the ass and die like V did. 

It's becoming a victim of its own success. That said, they completely messed up not having Common Stage on Sunday as Sam Fender, Anne Marie and Becky Hill as top 3 

Castle as Suede headlining, Nothing But Thieves, Editors. 

Would have been much better. 

I've already been thinking about who they can get in next year, the current pop acts, I really don't know too much who they can bring in. Tom Grennan I imagine. 

Surely they get Kasabian next year though unless they do Reading and Leeds. 

Surely time for the return of Travis, Charlatans, Kaiser Chiefs maybe get Franz back. 

Olly Murs would be a good pick for an early afternoon special guest slot. Maybe Kaiser's could do that slot too. 

Think the likes of Kasabian, George Ezra, Noel Gallagher all have a good chance of headlining next year.  Jamie T maybe too. 

9 minutes ago, sisco said:

Just went to look at ticket prices and saw that it’s now 3 full days and all of the site is going to be open 

that's an interesting change. if they're doing that I think they really need to consider opening the campsite Thursday afternoon. especially if their plan is to persist with big name special guests in the  1pm slot 

just checked and they are doing so 

Edited by atomised
checked info

Had a great time and have already got my early bird ticket for next year (as it's right on my doorstep I'll be going regardless of lineup). Caught a lot of good stuff this year, but my highlights were Self Esteem, Sugababes and We Are Scientists.

As others have said, I'm not sure why some really popular acts were on the castle stage, it was far too busy at times. Not sure the layout of that field works, having to approach round the side of the stage.

Didn't have too many problems with the crowds, just a few people trying to barge their way through and saw a couple of guys pissing against the d day memorial wall (a 30 second walk from the nearest urinals FFS).

1 hour ago, CRW5252 said:

Sadly, I am disappointed with my day at Victorious. The lineup was amazing and the acts themselves did not disappoint. Despite this, the two things that let it down were severe overcrowding/mismanagement at the castle stage and selfish attendees (not everyone of course, but a significant minority). 

My partner dragged me along to Becky Hill and the stage was ridiculously busy. There was no crowd control. A stage like that (with entries on the side) needs thought about how to get people flowing in and out. Maybe a one way entrance/exit. Also, the toilets were disgusting near this stage. A river of piss coming from the urinals. They put urinals way too close together as well and weirdly near to portloos that woman were queueing for. 

Regarding the selfish crowd, two particular incidents stand out.

During Becky Hill, a woman pushed her way through the crowd (knocking people out the way in the process). I then overheard her say something to the effect of "it would take ages to stay excuse me to everyone so you just have to push everyone out the way". I can't stand these kind of people. If you want to be near the front, come early. If you really do need to come past, be polite. It is common decency. 

Secondly, whilst watching Sam Fender a guy behind us started pissing and it splashed over the back of my partners and my leg. When I had a go at him for it, him and his friends general attitude was 'it is a festival, this is what happens'.  Completely disgusting behaviour and the arrogance after it made it even worse. Really tainted watching an act my partner and I have being looking forward to seeing for a year. 

Apologies this is a bit of an essay. I just needed to vent. I have left the festival doubting whether these large festivals are really for me anymore. Smaller festivals with a community feel are much more enjoyable and people look out for each other. I'll be booking a Sam Fender gig when he next tours the UK so I can enjoy it without piss down my leg. As that is my standout memory from my first time seeing him. 

I had an incident during Sam Fender who I was surprised to see attracts his fair share of the dark fruits crowd. I was letting my 7 year old down off my shoulders and some drunk guy shoved me in the back saying watch what you're doing you could've elbowed my girlfriend. for reference I had made sure before hand that no one was particularly close. his girlfriend was mortified and pointed out to him she had been nowhere near 

33 minutes ago, atomised said:

I had an incident during Sam Fender who I was surprised to see attracts his fair share of the dark fruits crowd. I was letting my 7 year old down off my shoulders and some drunk guy shoved me in the back saying watch what you're doing you could've elbowed my girlfriend. for reference I had made sure before hand that no one was particularly close. his girlfriend was mortified and pointed out to him she had been nowhere near 

Blokes trying to give it the big un when there's no need to

• Upvote 1

Very interesting it's a full 3 day festival next year. 

Looked at prices, each day is £55 and 5.50 booking so £60.50 

And weekend is £145 and £11.60 booking fee, so not 10% there like the days. So £156.60. 

Thats tier 1 and there's 4 tiers as this year. Wonder if tier 1 will stay until the usual December first announcement. 

Also the prices have clearly gone up again. So I hope with it being Superstruct ownership they start to pull in some bigger names from their festivals across Europe like international acts, cus we all know Victorious is mainly UK artists but with the prices keep going up they need to start getting some international acts, wouldn't surprise me to see maybe Kings of Leon or hell even The Killers. It's not like these acts have too many festival options in the UK anymore. 

40 minutes ago, luckysalt said:

Blokes trying to give it the big un when there's no need to

spot on  have to say I really enjoyed the weekend. Ended up doing half of Embrace then switching to Editors, kids loved meeting the Octonauts and Fireman Sam.

whilst camping off-site is a bit of a pain the shuttles work pretty well. stayed til the end last night and still back at camp just after  midnight, family camping felt very safe and peaceful 

just back and great time had as usual. toilets were great and food wa much better and cheaper outside main arena. phone signal was crap and trying to meet others was a problem ,but managed with a bit of planning. who ever thought to put primal and libs on at 1,pulled a masterstroke as both were top notch.so glad to see pete on top form and happy. phonics were great and james old skool set was brill for me. nothing but thieves did not disappoint  and fender was as good as ever ,such talent. good to c w lies again and enjoyed sets from editors amy embrace bbc the ks baby queen kula shaker ocs subways  we are scientists  bastille and reytons. c u all next year.cant wait

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, sisco said:

Think the likes of Kasabian, George Ezra, Noel Gallagher all have a good chance of headlining next year.  Jamie T maybe too. 

I think Muse are highly likely for next year, they’re doing loads of the lesser known stadiums and randomly have skipped Southampton/Bournemouth. I’d guess because they’re probably booked for Victorious.

4 minutes ago, seanz25 said:

I think Muse are highly likely for next year, they’re doing loads of the lesser known stadiums and randomly have skipped Southampton/Bournemouth. I’d guess because they’re probably booked for Victorious.

It's possible with the increase in money and site, but id still imagine they might be out of Victorious price range. They just did IOW as well. 

If we are getting one big booking though I'd prefer them over The Killers/Kings of Leon that I'd mentioned earlier. But I still feel for the fest to grow in terms of higher prices they need to start booking more international acts. 

I wonder who would be the cheapest of the 3 out of Muse, Killers and Kings of Leon, I'd imagine Kings of Leon.