news & politics:discussion

zahidf

1 hour ago, Barry Fish said:

Didn't they used to do that back in the day ?  

Great response from Newsnight lol

They did play it just about every night, as it was part of the closedown routine.

Even back in the day they didn't play it on the (albeit rare) occasions that they ran through the night.

1 hour ago, steviewevie said:

take profit motive away, nationalise national grid, public investment in renewables, nuclear, carbon capture etc...or are we going to rely on market forces to get us there...? We need this shit sorted out asap.

Aye. Sadly you can't take the money away from it all. Would be nice and a single company may be able to achieve it quicker, once you factor in breaking up the companies and form one new one.

Does that company replace everyone's gas central heating too, insulate everyone's homes, which has to be done.

I do see where you are coming from.

3 hours ago, Neil said:

so, the colston four were not guilty, great to see the bristol jurors  come down on the right side 🙂 

So now Tory mp's are calling for the jury system "to be addressed" LOL. Presumably so you can only sit on a jury if you believe in their 'values'?

6 minutes ago, Punksnotdead said:

So now Tory mp's are calling for the jury system "to be addressed" LOL. Presumably so you can only sit on a jury if you believe in their 'values'?

That's what they do, remember they weren't happy with the Supreme Court judges when they ruled that the prorogation of Parliament was illegal.

1 hour ago, steviewevie said:

take profit motive away, nationalise national grid, public investment in renewables, nuclear, carbon capture etc...or are we going to rely on market forces to get us there...? We need this shit sorted out asap.

Were you around in the 60's?

1 hour ago, Barry Fish said:

Didn't they used to do that back in the day ?  

Great response from Newsnight lol

Back in the day (when all stations went off air at midnight), the BBC always played the national anthem just beforehand. Not ITV though.

5 minutes ago, Barry Fish said:

As the video says - this is what happens when nutters scare everyone e.g. Khan....

Erm no it’s what happens when there’s something called covid knocking about and we have 2 million people isolating … oh and you might not have seen it but tours are now starting to get pulled because of it … obviously this makes for a nice healthy economy … full gigs : bars /hospitality at the moment … not a hope and every town and city the same I’d guess … 

Edited by crazyfool1

On 1/5/2022 at 4:06 PM, JoeyT said:

On that note (last post here as I know there is a covid thread elsewhere!), I was in a meeting earlier and someone in it said 2 interesting things regarding the NHS which I assume if it's happening there will possibly be happening elsewhere and soon across all public services:

- Her sister who is involved in some sort of planning role at a hospital in Bristol told her they have been asked to prepare for using asymptomatic staff as a contingency plan.

- The radiologist department have already been asked to attend work if asymptomatic having tested positive.

Asymptomatic staff was being touted last year (and year before i think) to work on covid wards then. There are other roles outside the nhs which are planning the same contingencies. (Local governments etc)

8 minutes ago, Barry Fish said:

Its probably a lot of both...

The solution...

Stop scaring people, stop isolating, stop testing - get the vaccine

Yeah fuck the vulnerable no need to test before seeing anyone like that  anyways back to politics unfortunately there’s quite a crossover at the moment . 

20 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

Erm no it’s what happens when there’s something called covid knocking about and we have 2 million people isolating … oh and you might not have seen it but tours are now starting to get pulled because of it … obviously this makes for a nice healthy economy … full gigs : bars /hospitality at the moment … not a hope and every town and city the same I’d guess … 

quite surprising that video...I've been into Manchester centre and to the trafford centre recently and both were busy.

1 minute ago, Barry Fish said:

Welcome to the future mate - its called living a life.

If you pay attention you will see despite the huge number of cases hospital numbers from covid are not doing anything special and very few people are passing away.

Keep in mind flu is largely not a factor this year (again) and vulnerable who are sadly dieing - many would have faired no better against flu.

Its time to move on.  People die.  Its shit but its all part of the facts of life you should of been taught as a child.  Covid is no longer a health emergency - the emergency now is forcing people to isolate when in years gone by they would of just gone to work.

You're thinking is so 2020.

Erm 25 hospital trusts in emergency measures says different … glad I’m not in need of hospital care for anything … and I pity the 6million waiting for surgery when it gets pushed back … sorry but being alive helps when it comes to living a life ? 

Just now, steviewevie said:

quite surprising that video...I've been into Manchester centre and to the trafford centre recently and both were busy.

My town is dead .. but then it usually is in the rain in Jan … outside shopping centres where there is more space I think they said we’re doing better 

5 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

I would suppose London has more tourists which isn't really going too be thriving at the moment along with the WFH order is keeping many away. That's what happen when the virus is allowed to run rampant though, the remaining amount of people will be put off and/or self isolating.

Edited by Ozanne

2 minutes ago, Barry Fish said:

No its what happens when you tell people to WFH... 

If we stopped the isolation all these issues go away.  There just isn't any evidence the NHS couldn't cope - specially if they go 25% of their workforce back.

Oh but in 7 days they will though surely ?