news & politics:discussion

zahidf

56 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

but Cleverly and Cameron jobs maybe indicating that Sunak wants to move away from all the populist right wing stuff towards more liberal stuff ...maybe they've given up on retaining red wall but don't want to lose blue wall...?

Yep its the end of Boris and Liz Truss ideas. They've lost the red wall by not levelling up but illegal migration is still important to thise voters. Rawanda decision on Weds. If that goes against them its either ignore/abandon EHCR or cooperate more with Europe. Cameron will help with Europe

Edited by lazyred

7 minutes ago, Barry Fish said:

The country usually votes right.

Sadly correct

2 minutes ago, stuie said:

This time will be different. 

Maybe, but I wouldn't count your chickens. Something simple like a 0.5 pence reduction in income tax could swing the unthinking masses.

1 minute ago, lazyred said:

They have raked in billions by freezing tax allowances. Use some of it to cut a penny off income tax in April, fix the OBR report to balance the books by promising future Beneifts cuts and call an election in May.

High chance of working. Give the population a tiny financial boost, most being too thick to equate this with cuts in services.

Play on idiots false belief that "benefit scroungers" are the cause of all evil.

Job done.

These days 'the right' is a fragmented collection of various positions, from traditionally conservative to flat out batshit crazy. I'd argue that the right has split and devolved to such an extent over the last decade that no historical precedent could reasonably predict the future.

Just now, kalifire said:

These days 'the right' is a fragmented collection of various positions, from traditionally conservative to flat out batshit crazy. I'd argue that the right has split and devolved to such an extent over the last decade that no historical precedent could reasonably predict the future.

This is the One Nation fightback.

8 minutes ago, Barry Fish said:

We have an unusual election coming up where the government are just simply out of steam.  Its a bit like 1997 where Tony couldn't really lose.  Its almost impossible for parties to keep wining 13 years + later.

By 1997 the Tories had also racked up many, many years of sleaze and corruption. But Labour won because they were so obviously a government in waiting. The car crash that was Major's government helped, but didn't cause, Blair's landslide.

Today, Starmer's Labour Party aren't as overtly ready as Blair's, but again to suggest that they've rather benignly "run out of steam" is to willfully ignore the fact that the Tories have delivered abject failure to the UK over the last thirteen years.

Tell me how you vote without telling me how you vote.

23 minutes ago, kalifire said:

These days 'the right' is a fragmented collection of various positions, from traditionally conservative to flat out batshit crazy.

I don't really see either party being that much different to be honest. Due to FFP both parties are fragmented and capable of blowing up at any point. You've got the same fringe on the left too.

Imagine if Starmer was actually PM right now with power and refusing to back to a ceasefire whilst allowing British arms companies to supply Israel. It would be kicking off alot more than it is within labour.

1 hour ago, Kurosagi said:

Interesting choice of day for this minister at the Dept of Health to announce he's stepping down from government. He'd already announced back in June that he was quitting as MP and not facing the next general election (majority of only 9k). Speculation that despite the guff in his resignation letter that perhaps the stars are aligning for a May GE?

yes, lots of people suggesting we are looking at a May election...which what I've been saying all along...

1 minute ago, lost said:

I don't really see either party being that much different to be honest. Due to FFP both parties are fragmented and capable of blowing up at any point. You've got the same fringe on the left too.

Imagine if Starmer was actually PM right now with power and refusing to back to a ceasefire whilst allowing British arms companies to supply Israel. It would be kicking off alot more than it is within labour.

Totally agree.

Not much choice really, Tory heavy vs Tory light

1 minute ago, Skip997 said:

Labour should be "the left".

it's always been a coalition of left to centrish...you can argue where the centrish bit is I guess..but the right definitely have control over the party now after the left had control during Corbyn years...but I would argue that Starmer's labour is to the left of Blair's labour. Anyway, proof of the pudding will be what they do when they're in power...and money is tight so people might be disappointed.