news & politics:discussion

zahidf

36 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

apparently SNP are going to keep tabling ceasefire amendments to hurt Labour...kind of cynical, but it is what it is...could be an almighty row tomorrow, unless Starmer can reassure them with Labour amendments...call it a really really really long pause or something...

I don’t think it’s going to make much of an impact at all. People have been claiming for ages that Starmer is under massive pressure yet barely anything has happened with Labour. Starmer could sack them and that would be it.

I suspect tomorrow will be more about the Supreme Court’s ruling on the Rwanda scheme. 

Edited by Ozanne

9 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

I don’t think it’s going to make much of an impact at all. People have been claiming for ages that Starmer is under massive pressure yet barely anything has happened with Labour. Starmer could sack them and that would be it.

I suspect tomorrow will be more about the Supreme Court’s ruling on the Rwanda scheme. 

I don't know...I think if Starmer sacked a bunch of front benchers because voted for a ceasefire that would probably be seen as a big deal.

1 minute ago, steviewevie said:

I don't know...I think if Starmer sacked a bunch of front benchers because voted for a ceasefire that would probably be seen as a big deal.

And so it should be.

Refusing to ask for a cease fire is absolutely disgusting and is giving the Israeli's the green light to continue needlessly slaughtering civilians. Of course there is an attempt to eradicate Hamas, but there's also a huge element of revenge

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

It wouldn’t show he’s under pressure, as he’d have just fired them. People seem to want to make it a big deal which is for their own reasons but we’ve been here before and it hasn’t been.

Just now, steviewevie said:

this is probably why it took Sunak a little while to sack her...

He should’ve done it much earlier and tried to mitigate any potential damage last weekend. 

4 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

yeah, but apparently there is this agreement...if that is true and it is revealed that could be very bad news for Sunak...

Oh I see what you mean with the agreement.

I wonder if Braverman will release that agreement?

13 minutes ago, Barry Fish said:

Labour want to ask the murdering terrorists bastards called Hamas to ceasefire.   Roughly 5 weeks late on that one.  It seems to have been forgotten there are two sides in this and one side rape women and wont respect a ceasefire if one is called.  Its just another trap for Isreal.

1. How do you know?

2. Why is it a trap for Israel, and why "another", what where the previous "traps" and who were setting them?

3. Constantly dropping bombs and missiles on women and children, killing thousands isn't murder?

Edited by Skip997

11 minutes ago, Skip997 said:

1. How do you know?

2. Why is it a trap for Israel, and why "another", what where the previous "traps" and who were setting them?

3. Constantly dropping bombs and missiles on women and children, killing thousands isn't murder?

I think any ceasefire will have to involve hostage release...and that is probably where there will be a sticking point...Israel will want all hostages released first, Hamas will want ceasefire first. Plus, do Hamas have all the hostages? How many of them are alive?

Anyway, who knows what is actually going on behind the scenes, I am sure there are negotiations probably via Qatar...and maybe something will happen soon. 

3 hours ago, steviewevie said:

apparently SNP are going to keep tabling ceasefire amendments to hurt Labour...kind of cynical, but it is what it is...could be an almighty row tomorrow, unless Starmer can reassure them with Labour amendments...call it a really really really long pause or something...

SNP can put in amendments with full knowledge that they will have zero influences at any stage in terms of peace negotiations. Starmer will potentially be dealing with Israel in a year so very different dynamic.