news & politics:discussion

zahidf

1 minute ago, steviewevie said:

you know the point he is making...if they're reversing safeguarding land and are selling back purchased properties without even trying to get a consensus then the whole thing is killed.

and the point I was making was Starmer will be probably be relieved because he's never really supported it. If we do have a finite fund then yes I'm happy labour are backing network north. It wasn't meant as criticism rather support for Starmer. Everyones so hung up on their team having the opposite opinion of the other and it doesn't matter if its a good or bad one.

11 minutes ago, lost said:

Yes the labour leader has no control over labour policy.

If costs have risen since he made that speech and potentially may rise again before the labour government then he's not that stupid not to act on what he believes.

Your post has absolutely nothing to do with what I said, it’s completely in bad faith.

It doesn’t matter what Starmer’s view is now because Sunak has taken steps to ensure Labour can’t reverse it or certainly not without spending massively over the odds. Again I suspect you know that but this way you get to switch the debate away from the Tories. 

7 minutes ago, lost said:

and the point I was making was Starmer will be probably be relieved because he's never really supported it. If we do have a finite fund then yes I'm happy labour are backing network north. It wasn't meant as criticism rather support for Starmer. Everyones so hung up on their team having the opposite opinion of the other and it doesn't matter if its a good or bad one.

he definitely was against it in 2016 because of effect on his constituency...but that was 7 years ago and a few things have changed since...he is leader of Labour for whole country for a start...and HS2 has supposedly been developed in that time..with a hec of a lot of money spent which now looks like wasted.

But, also I know it has been divisive across the board...personally I thought it was a great idea, but I know there have always been a lot of arguments against. 

Edited by steviewevie

4 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

Your post has absolutely nothing to do with what I said, it’s completely in bad faith.

It doesn’t matter what Starmer’s view is now because Sunak has taken steps to ensure Labour can’t reverse it or certainly not without spending massively over the odds. Again I suspect you know that but this way you get to switch the debate away from the Tories. 

But the point is Starmer was the first to point out the project was uneconomic and the Tories have finally caught up. Also Starmer cant now be attacked for cancelling it.

38 minutes ago, Neil said:

its been in bristol all the time i've been her (25 years) only ever been for a drink there.

the fleece is my fav venue.

Had a google cos I was sure it wasn’t there last time and it turns out…

From June to September 2019, Thekla was moved to the listed Albion Drydock for extensive repair works. The result of this is a brand new steel offset hull welded into place around the whole of the existing hull.

https://www.theklabristol.co.uk/restoration/

1 minute ago, steviewevie said:

But, also I know it has been divisive across the board...personally I thought it was a great idea, but I know there have always been a lot of arguments against. 

I think I've said before I think the biggest issue with the UK is second city syndrome hence as I said if there is finite money, I'd have developing the Manchester/Leeds/Sheffield triangle before speeding up our access to London.

1 minute ago, lost said:

But the point is Starmer was the first to point out the project was uneconomic and the Tories have finally caught up. Also Starmer cant now be attacked for cancelling it.

No ones attacking Starmer here, you just started to claim Labour backed network north when they haven’t backed the government’s plans. 

1 minute ago, lost said:

I think I've said before I think the biggest issue with the UK is second city syndrome hence as I said if there is finite money, I'd have developing the Manchester/Leeds/Sheffield triangle before speeding up our access to London.

yes sure, although no idea why anyone would want to go to Leeds or Sheffield.

20 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

yes sure, although no idea why anyone would want to go to Leeds or Sheffield.

I've worked in all three (commuting by rail) We've turned a "nice to have" into an essential as far as I can see so not complaining too much.

1 hour ago, Ozanne said:

That's not what that says at all and you know it. Sunak has made it nearly impossible to reverse the cancellation to HS2.

i thought he'd use the money for tax cuts

3 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

That's pretty much why Sunak is doing this, he thinks tax cuts can win him the election.

theres no tax cuts on offer yet! what he wants is labour to put costs back on the public

Just now, steviewevie said:

european countries starting to wake up to realisation that US might not be there for them or Ukraine for much longer...mass pooping of pants in various european capitals...

need to avoid escalation (planes, etc) in case we end up without usa.

18 minutes ago, Neil said:

theres no tax cuts on offer yet! what he wants is labour to put costs back on the public

You are right about putting this onto Labour, Sunak's tried to set a trap for them.

59 minutes ago, lost said:

Completely reasonable point to make, and I fully agree.

7 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

Ok well it certainly doesn't lose. Russia taking Donbas+Crimea will be sold as a victory by Putin.

Can't see how this thing ends though, will just keep grinding on until Trump ends it.

Putin won't accept Russia's defeat in the field- that'll be nukes!