news & politics:discussion

zahidf

8 minutes ago, lost said:

Doubtful. In fact don't the US / Canada call the UK TERF island for the exact reason there seems to be more scepticism here? I don't think Starmer would of come out and said a women is an adult human female if his focus groups were not saying the same thing as the Tories.

Its just a media thing. Doesn't help the biggest crazy TERF is JK Rowling of course. 

I dont think it will move any votes really, Tories are just being bigots over it

2 hours ago, stuie said:

I thought they’d just elected an ethnic leader? 

would they elect an ethnic english leader?????

Edited by Neil

2 minutes ago, Neil said:

would they elect an ethnic english leader?????

Ah, I see where you are going. 

Well, isn't the point of the SNP to get rid of their ethnic english leaders in Westminster?

33 minutes ago, stuie said:

Ah, I see where you are going. 

Well, isn't the point of the SNP to get rid of their ethnic english leaders in Westminster?

yes, by agitating anti-English sentiment in Scotland.

as happy to attack immigrants as the tories! just has to be the right sort of immigrant

5 minutes ago, Neil said:

as happy to attack immigrants as the tories! just has to be the right sort of immigrant

I’ll give way to your superior knowledge, it’s not something I’ve taken a massive interest in. I thought they were anti being ruled by Westminster rather than anti English. I’ve visited a couple of times and never got any anti English vibes tbh. 

7 minutes ago, Neil said:

Nothing you love more than claiming there’s widespread anti-English sentiment in Scotland. Have you ever even been here 😂 only exists in your own head. Anything there is, is fairly lighthearted and goes both ways 

1 minute ago, stuie said:

I’ll give way to your superior knowledge

Please don’t, cause you’re right and he’s talking pish 

I’ve visited a couple of times and never got any anti English vibes tbh.

As does bascially everyone cause literally nobody in Scotland is going to seriously have a problem with an English tourist just for being English, it’s a totally made up grievance from Neil 

I’ll give way to your superior knowledge, it’s not something I’ve taken a massive interest in. I thought they were anti being ruled by Westminster rather than anti English. I’ve visited a couple of times and never got any anti English vibes tbh. 

you have eo meet the wrong person

i've had someone threaten to punch me for being English 

for balence i've also had someone in newc threaten to punch me for being southern

3 minutes ago, fraybentos1 said:

Please don’t, cause you’re right and he’s talking pish 

whats pish is the idea there's no anti-english sentiment existing

3 minutes ago, fraybentos1 said:

As does bascially everyone cause literally nobody in Scotland is going to seriously have a problem with an English tourist just for being English, it’s a totally made up grievance from Neil 

not true itsi was threatened twice  at t in the park for the crime of being english.

Edited by Neil

2 minutes ago, cellar said:

I'm just being a bit facetious. But if Scotland gained independence I would milk my half heritage for all its worth.

yes, its all about personal benefit, snp literature often  tends to concentrate on claiming that there'll be  personal financial benefits- they can't say how tho - sensible analysis strongly  suggests worse than tory austerity.

26 minutes ago, Neil said:

you have eo meet the wrong person

i've had someone threaten to punch me for being English 

for balence i've also had someone in newc threaten to punch me for being southern

Recurring theme of people wanting to punch you specifically. 

Can’t think why….

You're probs the issue. My dads lived in Scotland for over 30 years and still sounds very English and has never had anything like that. Either you’re very unlucky or very punchable.

Just now, fraybentos1 said:

Recurring theme of people wanting to punch you specifically. 

Can’t think why….

You're probs the issue. My dads lived in Scotland for over 30 years and still sounds very English and has never had anything like that. Either you’re very unlucky or very punchable.

All it took in both cases was hearing my accent wasn't local. Also they were both very pissed.

One in a nightclub another a festival.

38 minutes ago, stuie said:

I went to Glasgow once and I had no idea what anyone was saying.

The HS2 f**k up reminds me of something I read about Bristol. There was a plan for a big new road system. They compulsory purchased a whole neighbourhood hundreds of houses and made an area desolate. Thirty years later the road system abandoned horrid New housing was built on the cleared land.

Its why Bristol is a driver's nightmare.

19 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

I went to Glasgow once and I had no idea what anyone was saying.

Me too. I kept asking for a repeat and then got asked if I was taking the piss, do you want thumping you English c**t?