news & politics:discussion

zahidf

34 minutes ago, Barry Fish said:

But the politics are not...

Yes people want change now as they did in 1996 but the key difference is Keir is not Tony.

Tony appealed to those middle class folk who really get to decide the election.  I don't think Keir has the same pull.

So they might want change but that change isn't necessarily Keir.  If on election day they have a choice between two people they don't really want then people tend to go for what they know which isn't good for Keir or Labour when you need historically high swings.

The change wanted is not the Tories. I think most people can see that they're not making anything better.

So someone else should have a chance.i agree that starmer doesn't have Blair's charisma to appeal to the middle classes but I don't see that as a deal-breaker.he has a work record which just ooozes competence. I think most people can see that he's not a charlatan like Johnson and others and that's a big and positive change.

I think we'll see a labour majority but more to due with Tories staying home/voting reform. As I've said before your not going to get the Tory vote out with the highest taxes since world war 2 and the highest immigration figures ever.

Starmer has promised to track the OBR forcasts for deficit reduction and also get immigration down so those two things are not going to scare people to vote tory to keep labour out.

Edited by lost

In the end Starmer has also been pretty lucky...Johnson doing his thing, then Truss doing her thing, then the SNP doing their thing...on top of cost of living crisis. But it isn't all luck, a lot of it is down to some pretty draconian party management, and also much to many people's frustration they are not coming out with any explicitly left wing policies (yet) or talking about raising taxes or spending or now even borrowing because any of that is what Tories and their press mates will attack them on over and over again. Over cautious and uninspiring maybe, but so far it is working.

22 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

not sure what he's on about..fish man talking out his bum again...Ozanne has been saying for ages that he expect polls to tighten and that a hung parliament or small majority for labour is more likely...

and I think so too...but think you're right about country wanting a change, that's how it feels...so I reckon a Labour win but a small/medium majority is most likely at moment, but it could also be a landslide. Problem for labour is Starmer is still pretty unpopular, or at the least not very popular, he just happens to be more popular than Sunak...so leaders are weak points for both parties that the other will expoit in run up to the election.

I don’t think people realise how big an ask it is for Labour to win a majority of just 1. It’s so difficult and the fact that polls have shown for 2 years that Labour are on for a majority is testament to how well they have turned the party round. 

10 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

I don’t think people realise how big an ask it is for Labour to win a majority of just 1. It’s so difficult and the fact that polls have shown for 2 years that Labour are on for a majority is testament to how well they have turned the party round. 

yep - but I reckon SNP/Sturgeon problems helps a lot...losing Scotland was always a big a problem for Labour.

1 minute ago, Justiceforcedave said:

Had a Labour canvasser at the door this week. I told him I'm rooting for Labour but will be voting Green.

Good on you

The only party worth considering

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Neil said:

private eye were on it for years before it was admitted as an IT cock-up.

I was never a particularly regular Private Eye reader but I remember them talking about it a lot, well before anyone else seemed to have picked up on it. 

From what I remember and what I've read more recently, it really doesn't seem to have been exaggerated for dramatic effect for the show. That pretty much was what happened. 

Absolutely nuts.

5 minutes ago, philipsteak said:

I was never a particularly regular Private Eye reader but I remember them talking about it a lot, well before anyone else seemed to have picked up on it. 

From what I remember and what I've read more recently, it really doesn't seem to have been exaggerated for dramatic effect for the show. That pretty much was what happened. 

Absolutely nuts.

I used to work for Fujitsu in late 90s/early 2000s...maybe it was my fault.

3 hours ago, steviewevie said:

yep - but I reckon SNP/Sturgeon problems helps a lot...losing Scotland was always a big a problem for Labour.

Tories have used the SNP to attack labour for a few elections. Can't do it now.

3 hours ago, Barry Fish said:

I think for some yes...  Not sure we can say "most" because that is the unknown the election will tell us.

There are so many unknowns at the moment its hard to see where it all goes.  Will Reform take it to the Tories.  Can the Lib Dems if not.  Will the SNP fall ?   Will Labour find a consistent policy platform 😛 

Lib Dems are pretty anonymous and only a threat to tory seats.reform are tarnished by the failure of Brexit.