news & politics:discussion

zahidf

I replaced a five year old phone a couple of months ago. I had no real idea what I was doing and a my WhatsApp messages returned perfectly.

The idea that Whitehall is somehow at the mercy of upgrade technology, rather than deliberately saving messages that clearly involve national and historical importance, is a total joke. As is anyone who believes that there was no WhatsApp policy, so anything goes.

Tribalism has created a nation of idiots. 

9 minutes ago, Barry Fish said:

The was no whatsapp policy in 2020...  

So you’re telling us you’ve swallowed the idea that not a single WhatsApp message he sent or received during Covid was pertinent enough for him or his team to have formally retained it for the public record?

This during a time unprecedented decisions were being made that affected the lives (and deaths) of tens of thousands of families, and  you’re happy to accept “hmm, the upgrade seems to have gone wrong again”? 

Jesus Christ. 

2 minutes ago, Barry Fish said:

I would rather first stick to the point you was making.

I’m sure you would.

The fact remains that if there was literally nobody in government who was retaining critically important communication about policy being concocted on the fly on a smartphone app, that says much more about the sorry state of government than it does about the official record (which is currently being forensically dismantled).

2 minutes ago, Barry Fish said:

If there was an effort to hide what happened they didn't do a very good job.

You don’t think collectively and deliberately deleting WhatsApp messages isn’t a very good job? Johnson, Hancock and Sunak all seem to be singing from the same hymn sheet. Doesn’t that ring alarm bells to you?

To me it wreaks of collusion and collective obstruction of justice. How would you describe it?

2 minutes ago, kalifire said:

Caroline Lucas describes the Rwanda bill as a “performative piece of cruelty from a dying administration”. 

As insightful and correct as ever. The Commons will be less without her.

Think she’d be second on my list of favourite speakers … Stephen Flynn maybe in 3rd 

24 minutes ago, kalifire said:

You don’t think collectively and deliberately deleting WhatsApp messages isn’t a very good job? Johnson, Hancock and Sunak all seem to be singing from the same hymn sheet. Doesn’t that ring alarm bells to you?

To me it wreaks of collusion and collective obstruction of justice. How would you describe it?

Just to be clear though, 

That's different to believing they didn't have a policy. I think in fact it supports that there wasn't a policy - otherwise they would have been found to have broken it? Obviously the right thing to have done would be to retain the messages when they get a new phone, but I make a choice to not copy over my messages when I get a new phone, so I can well imagine they did the same (and their reasons for doing that are self preservation, of course).

But I don't think it's a joke to believe they didn't have a policy.

(Website doing something weird when I tried to type a message, so had to write this in notepad).

Edited by cellar

Just now, Barry Fish said:

Well...  Is there anything you think the inquiry is missing ?   Boris / Cummings / Hancock etc have all been savaged.   Some of the scientists etc aren't doing too well I feel.   The inquiry seem to have enough information to make a proper assessment from where I am sitting.

Rishi came out of it well but then again, I think he mostly did a good job.  If you care for the facts rather than conjecture. 

The over focus on whatsapp messages seems only really important to a certain tribe.

You know a huge amount of taxpayer money went to the teams of Boris and sunak to enable them to answer the questions without causing themselves further issues  ? A huge number of watts apps missing so that far from makes the enquiry complete , along with the pretty blatant lies ( which you believe different ) the enquiry has months and months to run , we await Simon case input which should be interesting … hope he’s not got the bad memory of sunak or lost his phone also … 

2 hours ago, steviewevie said:

UK climate change minister has left COP early to vote on this stupid Rwanda bill. Priorities.

Flying home and then back again after voting. 

Edited by stuie

31 minutes ago, kalifire said:

He wouldn't be saying any of this if it was a Labour Minister, I would imagine things would be very different if it was Labour for some reason that none of us can possibly imagine.

7 minutes ago, Barry Fish said:

Lets break this apart.  

To prepare for something like this you do need to time and money to prepare.  It happened years ago and you need to re-breif yourself ready to answer the questions.  This enables the inquiry to do a better job.  Can you remember what you was doing on March 29th 2022 in detail ?  Of course not...

Now, this is your opinion and one with no substance.  You just use the valid reason above to further your own tribal political agenda 😛 

I honestly can't believe you aren't able to see this in front of you Barry ..... Time to prepare yep , honest answers yep and some well prepared notes of course .... id not remember the half of it but it's written down there for them to refer to the dates and id be more than capable .... ive taken part in several diisciplinary procedures where ive had to help do similar but on a smaller scale of course . 

Do you think these  two are appalling liars or not ? Starting with Boris ? 

Edited by Crazyfool01

4 minutes ago, Barry Fish said:

What is funny to see is the frustration that the inquiry often isn't tell you what you want to hear.  You all sat around yesterday waiting for Rishi blood.  It didn't come because he did a good job.  So now its all focused on whatapp messages, an easy attack.  Frustrated much ? 

nope ... id be happy when this sh*t show get voted out though along with Sunak , bunch of corrupt assholes 

20 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

He wouldn't be saying any of this if it was a Labour Minister, I would imagine things would be very different if it was Labour for some reason that none of us can possibly imagine.

Chilcot Report thread is here, Barry is pretty much the only person sticking up for labour:

https://www.efestivals.co.uk/forums/topic/214096-the-chilcot-report/

Edited by lost
  • Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, lost said:

Chilcot Report thread is here, Barry is pretty much the only person sticking up for labour:

https://www.efestivals.co.uk/forums/topic/214096-the-chilcot-report/

Haha, just had a quick scan, found this from Barry:

"I don't think for a second having someone else in power would of made much difference.  

I think the failures where more deeper than that in so many ways a different PM would of made the same mistakes."

Say what you like about Barry, he's consistent!