news & politics:discussion

zahidf

11 minutes ago, kalifire said:

It hasn't been finalised yet. Will be soon I hope.

Anyone would think you're writing a constitution at this rate 😉 only kidding. I appreciate your efforts since joining the team, whilst there are some differing standards used by the mod team as a whole for various posters, you seem to have improved things quite a bit.

Edited by Ozanne

20 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

yes, I'm ok thanks...maybe I need a break from all the grim news.

I would highly recommend it. Mrs oneeye was actually brought to tears with the international news earlier this week, never seen her react like that before, overwhelming. We've since only watched the local news, and living in the South West usually consists of cats stuck up trees or the antics of farm animals various.

Edited by oneeye

1 minute ago, oneeye said:

I would highly recommend it. Mrs oneeye was actually brought to tears with the international news earlier this week, never seen her react like that before, overwhelming. We've since only watched the local news, and living in the South West usual consists of cats stuck up trees or the antics of farm animals various.

Yes, it is horrific. 

Not sure watching local news in Manchester would cheer me up though!

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

sorry for reacting like I did, bit angry and emotional.

41 minutes ago, Barry Fish said:

So am I....  I don't call you tons of nasty stuff...

You haven't got a monopoly on being angry and emotional...

And then they kissed 💋 

• Upvote 1

https://x.com/damocrat/status/1733624799056761020?s=46

Disgraceful. The inevitable conclusion of a country where even the nominally ’centre Left’ party leans into the mean spiritedness towards those who are down on their chips to pander to the fascist press.

Little wonder then when a new labour guy pops up in the comments with something like this:

IMG_1123.jpeg

IMG_1124.jpeg

2 hours ago, Barry Fish said:

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2023/dec/10/scottish-schools-have-tumbled-from-top-of-the-class-this-is-what-went-wrong

Progressive politics isn't always the best politics.  If it ain't broke don't fix it is sometimes the right course.

scottish  education policy has been set by what will free up the most cash to waste on the indy bad dream.

2 minutes ago, Barry Fish said:

A decent education is the only hope a working class person has for true social mobility.  SNP have clearly set back the life chances of a lot of working class kids.  Keep voting for stupid and you will getting bad outcomes. 

they'll claim they've opened up the life chances of those kids by enabling free uni (as that's where the money has mostly been used)

1 minute ago, Ommadawn said:

Try not to post crap on here then hey.
...or at least post something meaningful rather than a just Twitter clip you've dug up from somewhere.
.... and stop calling people Tory when they disagree with you.

Ha another post about me. Post on topic please.

2 hours ago, Barry Fish said:

I never posted they brought this on themsleves.  I posted...

I used the reporting function to report actual personal abuse.  You are justify me being personally abused because I have a view point.  You call this deliberately provocative.  Is it not deliberately provocative when people use the word genocide ?  Am I now allowed to call people c**ts for using that deliberately provocative view point ?

You and the rest of the moderation team have created a deliberately lob sided approach to moderation.  The likes of myself are open season.  Asking me not to report actual abuse is just hilarious.  Surely its a reasonable expectation for people to respond without abusing people ?  

I would imagine if I had responded to someone talking about genocide with Stevies comments your view point towards all this would be different. 

You clearly thought the Palestinians were being punished for their past decisions, you actually said

"But this is the thing...  The Palestinians make choices.  And choice have consequences.  As a body of people they have been making bad choices for a long time.  If they want to keep attacking Isreal (for whatever reason) they shouldn't be surprised with the outcome.

They should be hating Hamas as much as anyone by this point.  They brought this on them. "

So by that logic, we in Britain deserve to be suffering as we have voted in a Tory government for years, the fact that many if not most of the population didn't vote for them doesn't mean anything.

"They should be hating Hamas as much as anyone by this point."  Maybe many of them are, since Hamas are by your definition a armed terrorist organisation how do you propose an unarmed civilian population get rid of them? Your argument is ridiculous, it's no wonder people get angry.

Like many people you have chosen a side in this, but there is no morally correct choice, raping and killing is wrong, and so is mass bombing of civilian areas, neither is justified or morally supportable.

15 minutes ago, Barry Fish said:

First, thanks for replying without resorting to personal abuse and showing its possible.

Quite a lot in your post so let me focus on us here in the UK...

I think people need to own their decisions and own their vote.  So if you vote Brexit, you should own your mistake.  If you voted tory, you should own your mistake.  You are partly responsible for the pain that follows.  A lot of people within a democracy will vote and then not accept any responsibility for what follows.

Now I didn't vote for Brexit and I didn't vote for the Tories.  But I am a citizen of the United Kingdom and I need to own and be responsible for the collect actions of the country.  We invaded a Iraq.  We had an empire.  We committed War Crimes during WW2.  We have policies that punish children for not having more responsible parents.  I voted for none of this but I have to accept some for it at some level.  Its part of being part of collective.  I take the benefits I've got take the negatives at some level.

For example, its on me I didn't get my family and friends to understand Brexit was a bad idea.  I should of made better arguments.

Next election like every election I will vote Labour, try to convince my family and friends to vote Labour, and I will post on here saying people should vote Labour.  That is how I try to invoke change.  Small, but I do it.

So yes, your logic stands.  We deserve some of the sh*t we get from making bad choices in this country right now.  We can' cherry pick what we own.

Now moving onto what I actually posted.  

The first thing to point out is the end conclusion that seems that have been lost. I ultimately blame the terrorists who are Hamas for where we are today.  They did what they did eight weeks ago? and the reaction which would follow was bleeding obvious.  

If the people who represented me had done these things I would be doing everything I can to remove them.  I wouldn't be backing them.  I would have to ask myself why didn't I speak out sooner.  Why didn't I take action sooner.  Why didn't I win the argument that these people are going to be bad for us.  I would take some responsibility for it.  Ultimately if I was going to take up arms it would be to fight for them.  It would be the fight against them.

You have to keep in mind the context around my post and the post I was replying to.  Saying they would take up arms against Isreal.  Its the wrong enemy.  Their enemy is the enemy within.  

We can't change the past but we can make better choices as we go forward.  Don't choose to fight the ones across the border..  Fight the w*nkers closer to home.  Same goes for Isreal.  Plenty of nut jobs within their government and people in Isreal need to own some the choices of their government..  Like the creation of settlement on illegal lands.

Now on choosing a side.  I haven't really because I believe Israel settlements are illegal, I believe they need to make more care when conducting their operations and I believe in a two state solution.  

Either way I don't believe I dissevered abuse for having these view points.  and I don't think you can dumb down my view point to simply just blaming them for their own demise.  Obviously a lot more to it.

Your posts on here have been overwhelmingly pro-Israel and supportive of their heavy military response, some have been quite provocative, The bottom line is innocent people are dying, we should be pushing for a peacefull solution not inflaming hatred ,I know it seems pretty much impossible at the moment but you have to try, if the people of Northern Ireland had stuck to their entrenched positions they would still be bombing and kneecapping each other now.  Maybe your position is a bit more nuanced than you have presented it, maybe future posts will have a different flavour, but in any event i agree you shouldn't be abused, reasoned argument is the way.