news & politics:discussion

zahidf

On 3/29/2023 at 7:01 AM, steviewevie said:

Plan is to stick those horrid illegals (or asylum seekers to me and you and ECHR) on big boats, get them out of the hotels...not sure how workable, I expect will make life even more unpleasant for these people,  but they'll like it in the red wall and that's all that matters.

Maybe, just maybe they need to fast track these asylum requests to get the backlog down...especially for those coming from certain countries...Syria, Afghanistan, Iran, Eritrea etc

I am in a homeless hostel that is used by asylum applicants as well.It is single roomed, no communal areas or cooking facilities. There are daily room inspections and there is an 11pm curfew. I won't bleat on too much sufficed to saybit is rather unpleasant.

However personally I wouldn't mind going on a cruise ship or even into old military barracks. The impression is that these are torrid conditions and as long as they don't get overcrowded they are far from it compared to where I am. Decent rooms, communal and recreation areas and the gyms may still be in place as well as food. The Tories give it the impression that this is basic accommodation but from what I can see it is better than what they can expect once their applications are sorted.

10 minutes ago, Rufus Gwertigan said:

I am in a homeless hostel that is used by asylum applicants as well.It is single roomed, no communal areas or cooking facilities. There are daily room inspections and there is an 11pm curfew. I won't bleat on too much sufficed to saybit is rather unpleasant.

However personally I wouldn't mind going on a cruise ship or even into old military barracks. The impression is that these are torrid conditions and as long as they don't get overcrowded they are far from it compared to where I am. Decent rooms, communal and recreation areas and the gyms may still be in place as well as food. The Tories give it the impression that this is basic accommodation but from what I can see it is better than what they can expect once their applications are sorted.

Woah.

I don't think the boat accommodation will be like that in the brochures, and I also don't think it will happen..it is just for headlines and votes. Army barracks could happen though.

20 hours ago, steviewevie said:

But also..how have you ended up in a homeless hostel? I really hope things improve for you.

Things can't get any worse. Our landlady found out she could charge double the rent if she got rid of us. We couldn't afford anywhere near the rents been charged atm and benefits nowhere near would cover them. The landlady very kindly took us to court for the eviction of which we have to pay the court costs of nearly a grand.

So eviction day came and we had nowhere to go. We arranged with the landlady to collect all our belongings within a fortnight to put it all in storage (the contents of a 3 bedroomed house). The council hadn't sorted any temporary accommodation so we left to stay in a Travelodge with what we could carry in a rucksack and our cat. Travelodge allow pets which is handy to know. 

After a couple of days in the Travelodge we got an email from the landlady telling us she had disposed of all our belongings. Everything. 40 years of accumulation of stuff including furniture, books and music. All Sent to the tip. More than that she was billing us for the 3 grand it cost in skips and labour. She put this on the rent account along with the grand in court costs.

So feeling a tad demoralised a few days later we got the offer of the temporary accommodation we find ourselves in at present. Unfortunately they don't accept pets but luckily my daughter found someone to foster the cat. But within a week of him been there he managed to get out and lose himself.

We have been here 3 months but as we owe money to the landlady we don't qualify for social housing so things are looking bleak. On a plus I don't have bills to pay outside of food so I am able to save and my son is trying to get back to work so after a while we should have enough to pay a good wedge towards a house as landlords are asking we pay 4 or 5 months in advance as we don't have a guarantor.

Oh did I mention the cat. We got a phonecall from a vet who got my number from his chip. He had been brought in after been hit by a car and was dead. This made me sad.

Still mustn't grumble 

22 minutes ago, Rufus Gwertigan said:

Things can't get any worse. Our landlady found out she could charge double the rent if she got rid of us. We couldn't afford anywhere near the rents been charged atm and benefits nowhere near would cover them. The landlady very kindly took us to court for the eviction of which we have to pay the court costs of nearly a grand.

So eviction day came and we had nowhere to go. We arranged with the landlady to collect all our belongings within a fortnight to put it all in storage (the contents of a 3 bedroomed house). The council hadn't sorted any temporary accommodation so we left to stay in a Travelodge with what we could carry in a rucksack and our cat. Travelodge allow pets which is handy to know. 

After a couple of days in the Travelodge we got an email from the landlady telling us she had disposed of all our belongings. Everything. 40 years of accumulation of stuff including furniture, books and music. All Sent to the tip. More than that she was billing us for the 3 grand it cost in skips and labour. She put this on the rent account along with the grand in court costs.

So feeling a tad demoralised a few days later we got the offer of the temporary accommodation we find ourselves in at present. Unfortunately they don't accept pets but luckily my daughter found someone to foster the cat. But within a week of him been there he managed to get out and lose himself.

We have been here 3 months but as we owe money to the landlady we don't qualify for social housing so things are looking bleak. On a plus I don't have bills to pay outside of food so I am able to save and my son is trying to get back to work so after a while we should have enough to pay a good wedge towards a house as landlords are asking we pay 4 or 5 months in advance as we don't have a guarantor.

Oh did I mention the cat. We got a phonecall from a vet who got my number from his chip. He had been brought in after been hit by a car and was dead. This made me sad.

Still mustn't grumble 

fucking hell...that is terrible. Man alive, how can this sort of shit be allowed to happen? Rufus...I wish I knew a way to help, I really hope things improve and you get somewhere. There needs to be more social housing, this private housing thing that is a legacy of Thatcher stinks. Landlords/ladies (what a terrible name) can just get away with all this shit, literally driving people to be homeless, and the govt have just given them more powers with their antisocial crime thing. That is shocking. So sorry about your cat too.

1 hour ago, Rufus Gwertigan said:

Still mustn't grumble 

That's awful, I'm really sorry to hear that. I'm not sure what I would be able to do but if you need any help please drop me a message and I'll see if I can do anything. If you need to talk at all about any of it please let me know.

I hope things pick up for you soon.

28 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

That's awful, I'm really sorry to hear that. I'm not sure what I would be able to do but if you need any help please drop me a message and I'll see if I can do anything. If you need to talk at all about any of it please let me know.

I hope things pick up for you soon.

There are actually people in this country campaigning for the homeless people of Britain to be given preference over the newly arrived "refugees" , you could support their cause, but of course that would make you a far right racist, so it's better if you feign concern and continue to pretend that British homelessness is a minor problem and we should all worry about how are treating our newly arrived refugees. (almost all of which are of the result of UK Government's, including Labour, intervention in other countries affairs)

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 3

1 hour ago, gizmoman said:

There are actually people in this country campaigning for the homeless people of Britain to be given preference over the newly arrived "refugees" , you could support their cause, but of course that would make you a far right racist, so it's better if you feign concern and continue to pretend that British homelessness is a minor problem and we should all worry about how are treating our newly arrived refugees. (almost all of which are of the result of UK Government's, including Labour, intervention in other countries affairs)

Dickhead

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

Just now, Neil said:

what no one wants is a hugely divisive referendum about it.

id take that for the common sense thing and the return of the 4% hit to the economy ..... instead of this bollox we have at the moment which is more dividing than ever ... division didnt stop when we left the EU we just got hit by the financial crap too . rejoin we might still have division but at least some start to repairing the economic damage 

Just now, Neil said:

what no one wants is a hugely divisive referendum about it.

Yeah, labour are 15 to 20 points ahead, if they thought promising a rejoin referendum was a sure fire way of winning the next election I'm sure they'd go for it, otherwise why risk it.

Although if they really want growth maybe it isn't a bad idea.

Problem is, the EU would need to want us back..and even if they did..on what terms??

1 minute ago, steviewevie said:

Yeah, labour are 15 to 20 points ahead, if they thought promising a rejoin referendum was a sure fire way of winning the next election I'm sure they'd go for it, otherwise why risk it.

Although if they really want growth maybe it isn't a bad idea.

Problem is, the EU would need to want us back..and even if they did..on what terms??

The terms would be no opt outs,and no thatcher rebate.

That poll was posted the other week and the same matters still apply. The poll assumes there's no movement at all in the other direction if Labour start criticising Brexit which there probably would be because the Tories and their client media would jump on them for it. Also what does Labour criticising Brexit really do, it's just words. Labour would correct the Tories Brexit policy and bring us closer to the EU anyway.

If Labour's own polling showed doing these things would really help then they would do it, they are being tactical about it, people should understand this.

Yup people complain that we take less people in than other European countries but we also don't have a populist right wing party that's made significant inroads into the traditional parties vote share either. This seems to be happening in the majority of Europe now.