news & politics:discussion

zahidf

In 92 labour got hammered with tax bombshell thing by Tories, and ended up losing. After that labour have been paranoid as fuck with the whole spendthrift thing and even under corbyn did totally costed manifesto spending plans, something Tories don't have to bother with.

In 97 labour promised to stick with Tory spending plans and no raising income taxes, and won. In power they did spend more, paid for by an increase in some taxes by stealth, but also by a growing economy and successful and unregulated city that we don't have now.

Have to see how 2024 and beyond goes...

Edited by steviewevie

25 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

In 92 labour got hammered with tax bombshell thing by Tories, and ended up losing. After that labour have been paranoid as fuck with the whole spendthrift thing and even under corbyn did totally costed manifesto spending plans, something Tories don't have to bother with.

In 97 labour promised to stick with Tory spending plans and no raising income taxes, and won. In power they did spend more, paid for by an increase in some taxes by stealth, but also by a growing economy and successful and unregulated city that we don't have now.

Have to see how 2024 and beyond goes...

if labour suggest spending loads tories will just attack that it'll be badly spent, and money will be wasted - an easy win cos no one get s the govt spending well.

37 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

Yeah, I have been kind of sceptical of how much better PR would be, but things are so fucked and stuck at the moment I think we definitely need something different.

Might vote lib dem. 

letting the perfect be the enemy of the good cos you might get what you vote for.

4 hours ago, Neil said:

They want the Govt to give themhoising, while non brits get a hotel room. 

??really??

I have this really crazy idea that the Labour party ought to stand up for what is right & not pander to racists.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, LJS said:

??really??

The asylum seekers are being housed in hotels. Wonder why nationalist you have difficulty grasping the upset of those outside of the country benefitting from the county's resources. 

4 minutes ago, Neil said:

The asylum seekers are being housed in hotels. Wonder why nationalist you have difficulty grasping the upset of those outside of the country benefitting from the county's resources. 

Do you support the government's proposals?

1 hour ago, LJS said:

Do you support the government's proposals?

No I think Labour pretty much nailed it, incompetence in top of incompetence. Reckon the only alternative is legal routes to arrive here from france, but the country doesn't want migrants without a job to go to.  So while that might be the best solution. It probably couldn't get enough support. 

The government proposals are a fucking disgrace, totally shameful and very depressing. We are going to stop providing asylum to those who need it. They will either be sent to Rwanda, or as that will likely not happen or if it does will be in very small numbers they will be locked up here and then probably just reside here with no protections etc. which is where the modern slave laws come into effect. Braverman is a c**t, and Sunak is a c**t for using this to try and win an election. 

Edited by steviewevie

2 hours ago, steviewevie said:

The government proposals are a fucking disgrace, totally shameful and very depressing. We are going to stop providing asylum to those who need it. They will either be sent to Rwanda, or as that will likely not happen or if it does will be in very small numbers they will be locked up here and then probably just reside here with no protections etc. which is where the modern slave laws come into effect. Braverman is a c**t, and Sunak is a c**t for using this to try and win an election. 

1 hour ago, steviewevie said:

...and the language used...scaring people with massive numbers, calling them invaders, blaming judges and civil servants for getting in the way. Linekar was right.

and my simple question is why are Labour not saying this? They seem to think it is more important to appease the racists of Rotherham & the Bigots of Batley than call out the immorality, illegality & inhumanity of this despicable government.

3 minutes ago, LJS said:

and my simple question is why are Labour not saying this? They seem to think it is more important to appease the racists of Rotherham & the Bigots of Batley than call out the immorality, illegality & inhumanity of this despicable government.

I don't know, I guess because it is a vote winner...or at least it wins the votes they need to win the election, or so they have calculated.

8 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

I don't know, I guess because it is a vote winner...or at least it wins the votes they need to win the election, or so they have calculated.

i don't think its a vote winner cos its nasty to the forrins, but because its an issue for politicians to solve, and the tories have a solution of sorts.

8 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

Maybe Macron will say you can send them all back to France...and then build a wall in the middle of the channel.

Doubtful. He's coming under exactly the same pressures from the French electorate and probably why little is done to clamp down on the gangs. 

I believe he's just removed vulnerable status from people travelling with young children so he can deport them more easily.

Edited by lost

9 minutes ago, LJS said:

Yay. Let's govern by opinion poll.

Thats pretty much what democracy is yes. You can have an issue like brexit that none of the main parties will touch but if concerns fester for long enough you then get single issue parties springing up like ukip. The main parties then haemorrhage voters to those single issue parties until one of them realises they no longer have enough support to win and at that point have to adopt some sort of policy to try to get those voters back.

Similar thing happened in France when we had the bizarre situation at the election debates where macrons party were telling the national front they were not hard enough on Islam. 

Labour are trying to get elected so they enact actual change that will make things better. To do that they have to appeal to the key swing voters and also play the media game. It’s that simple. 

2 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

Labour are trying to get elected so they enact actual change that will make things better. To do that they have to appeal to the key swing voters and also play the media game. It’s that simple. 

yep. Labour are just saying won't work, same reason they didn't back the flights to rwanda thing. They need to speed up asylum processing, and work with other countries on finding a solution...easy for me to say on here though...and it's only going to get worse with the way the world is.

16 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

yep. Labour are just saying won't work, same reason they didn't back the flights to rwanda thing. They need to speed up asylum processing, and work with other countries on finding a solution...easy for me to say on here though...and it's only going to get worse with the way the world is.

Fortunately those measures are in Labours plan.