news & politics:discussion

zahidf

20 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

when it comes down to it most of help has come from US. If there wasn't that support from US I expect outcome would already be very different. Europe needs to stop replying on US all the time. If Trump was president...

I mean, given that Trump was quoted on the record this year as saying he still trusted Putin over certain elements of the US intelligence services, it's not hard to imagine that if this happened while Trump was still President, the US may well have been less assertive.

Indeed, if a Republican wins the Presidency in 2024 and this war is still going on, the same scenario might yet be in play, given how much certain GOP-friendly media personalities seem happy to parrot Kremlin talking points.

35 minutes ago, clarkete said:

Wait, we're less shit than another country? 

You lie 😜

Well it's quite the interesting story: New commuter trains for northern Spain too big for tunnels | The Corner

Plus it reads like a harder thing to resolve than when the French rail operator ordered trains in 2014 that didn't fit into many regional stations due to being too wide and had to go on a diet (or be modified at great expense) to fit.

Tbf if that happened here we'd probably end up getting a whopping fare increase to cover the costs of incorrect train design.

21 minutes ago, charlierc said:

Well it's quite the interesting story: New commuter trains for northern Spain too big for tunnels | The Corner

Plus it reads like a harder thing to resolve than when the French rail operator ordered trains in 2014 that didn't fit into many regional stations due to being too wide and had to go on a diet (or be modified at great expense) to fit.

Tbf if that happened here we'd probably end up getting a whopping fare increase to cover the costs of incorrect train design.

Ah if only we had the luxury of making our own trains. 

Their problem seems like a bargain compared to the price of us not managing to electrify all of the west country.  I live near this line and I love the smell of diesel in the morning etc

https://www.independent.co.uk/travel/news-and-advice/network-rail-gwr-electrification-passengers-b1854115.html

Edited by clarkete

4 hours ago, steviewevie said:

Lee Anderson, man of the people. Bring back the death penalty etc.

His appointment is truely disgusting… but shows sunak in his true light … and brings more problems for the Tory’s … his radio interview and the death penalty stuff were on the main bbc news . 

fortunately slightly better news on the ambulance waits now … 

2 hours ago, Crazyfool01 said:

His appointment is truely disgusting… but shows sunak in his true light … and brings more problems for the Tory’s … his radio interview and the death penalty stuff were on the main bbc news . 

fortunately slightly better news on the ambulance waits now … 

I reckon a lot of voters probably agree with him on the death penalty thing.

1 hour ago, steviewevie said:

I reckon a lot of voters probably agree with him on the death penalty thing.

It depends how the question is phrased. If you ask do you support the death penalty the majority say no. If you ask say do you support the death penalty in the case of the rape and murder of a child the majority say yes.

Edited by lost