news & politics:discussion

zahidf

15 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

I imagine the solution Truss will go for will be to freeze energy bills but do it by giving the energy companies loans which we the tax payers have to pay back eventually.

apparently she'll announce her plans on thursday.

52 minutes ago, pink_triangle said:

I'm not convinced she is more ideological, look at how many times she has switched her beliefs. I think she just will say whatever is politically convenient at the time, not convinced she has an ideology.

well, we'll see...she has certainly been on a journey from lib dem to right of tory party...but she's been on the right for a while now, was one of the authors of that britannia unchained thing, and only rowed back on some of the things she said during the current campaign when looked electorally bad for her, after today she doesn't have to worry about an election for a couple of years (probably). With Kwarteng as chancellor and Braverman as home sec we're looking at a pretty right wing govt on economics and culture/social stuff. More right wing than Johnson, Cameron and Thatcher.

6 minutes ago, squirrelarmy said:

I’ve noticed the Queen of Darkness that is Patel isn’t amongst the cabinet. 

Is she going to be lurking in the shadows ready to take over when Truss fails? 

yeah, I don't know...I think many people think she was a bit shit as home sec due to immigrants in boats...I think her chances might be over.