U.S. Presidential Election

FloorFiller

6 hours ago, kalifire said:

Andy Beshear could be a go-er, but given he's just been re-elected in Kentucky, he won't be in the running in 2024.

I think it's 'corrupt vs too old' next year. An absolute shitshow that this is the choice for Americans.

whole lot more than that too...so many believe that the election was robbed from Trump...that country is so full of conspiracy stuff not sure where things are heading, we are not far behind either...

On 11/7/2023 at 4:03 PM, steviewevie said:

No idea, but Biden looks and acts very old now, and it's only going to get worse.

It is curious given elections on Tuesday largely went the Democrat's way, plus I've seen a study published this week suggesting that polls this far out from a Presidential election are usually inaccurate. Obviously there isn't some kind of magical serum to de-age Biden by 5-10 years but you'd think from some people that he's a nailed on loser for '24 and I don't think that's the case, even if the age and certain drop-offs in cognizance is a big issue.

On 11/7/2023 at 4:03 PM, steviewevie said:

No idea, but Biden looks and acts very old now, and it's only going to get worse.

attacking Biden on his age only draws attention to trump's age. i don't think there's much mileage with attacks on that angle.

storm debi, sounds scary (not).

If Biden wins, it'll be because Trump is his opponent. Once Trump is found guilty of election interference, which I think is inevitable, I hope he'll become unpalatable to critical voters in purple states. He'll try and pitch himself as a martyr, but I'm not sure that will work for him, especially after the Georgia trial is live streamed and America hears the case against him and sees the infantile behaviour of him and his attorneys in court.

The best thing for the GOP right now is if Trump is unable to run and the party coalesce around Nikki Haley (the only serious Republican candidate who's saying anything remotely sensible). Even then, Trump's cult is so deranged I think they'd write his name on the ballot paper and try and vote for him anyway, thereby splitting the right and allowing Biden to win.

On 11/13/2023 at 3:55 AM, kalifire said:

The best thing for the GOP right now is if Trump is unable to run and the party coalesce around Nikki Haley (the only serious Republican candidate who's saying anything remotely sensible). Even then, Trump's cult is so deranged I think they'd write his name on the ballot paper and try and vote for him anyway, thereby splitting the right and allowing Biden to win.

This is why I wonder about the relationship between the two. I think if Trump was a true Republican, he'd have dropped out to avoid being a distraction for the party, but clearly, this is all about him and his f**king planet-sized ego.

On 11/13/2023 at 3:55 AM, kalifire said:

If Biden wins, it'll be because Trump is his opponent. Once Trump is found guilty of election interference, which I think is inevitable, I hope he'll become unpalatable to critical voters in purple states. He'll try and pitch himself as a martyr, but I'm not sure that will work for him, especially after the Georgia trial is live streamed and America hears the case against him and sees the infantile behaviour of him and his attorneys in court.

It doesn't need the court case for critical voters to know he's guilty of election interference. It only needs a critical brain. If they haven't got it by now it's not happening.

On 11/7/2023 at 8:59 AM, charlierc said:

Any suggestions? Doesn't look like there's a viable challenger in the upcoming primaries that'll be held in the first half of next year.

Gavin Newsom is very clearly already working on a ‘28 bid and is the obvious next candidate in line, but I think all the ‘Biden old’ stuff is being blown out of proportion, at least at this time. Obviously there’s no fighting Father Time, but as it stands he’s done a fantastic job in his first term despite the right doing everything in their power to convince everybody otherwise so as long as he doesn’t take a huge tumble in ability then I don’t think it’s much of an issue.

A younger candidate (or Biden 20 years ago) would obviously be preferable at this time, and there’s no denying people are voting against Trump rather than for Biden, but he’s what we/they have and really isn’t being propped up Weekend at Bernie’s style like everybody makes out. He zings some of the dumb sh*t Fox reporters constantly.

I’d be shocked if he doesn’t win again because I just can’t see how anybody who voted against Trump last time would now be on his side. I predict Biden wins by an even bigger margin.

3 hours ago, FloopFiller said:

I’d be shocked if he doesn’t win again because I just can’t see how anybody who voted against Trump last time would now be on his side. I predict Biden wins by an even bigger margin.

me too, trump will have lost a lot of voters with his banana republic coup attempt.

On 11/14/2023 at 9:37 PM, FloopFiller said:

I wouldn't be confident enough to predict that just yet. I'm aware Trump's multitude of scandals and trials is going to hit hard in an election year when there's going to be more scrutiny and coverage with a "What will this mean at the ballot box?" lens, but it still feels like it's 40-40-20 right now between Biden, Trump and those that could go either way. Maybe even 45-45-10.

5 minutes ago, charlierc said:

I wouldn't be confident enough to predict that just yet. I'm aware Trump's multitude of scandals and trials is going to hit hard in an election year when there's going to be more scrutiny and coverage with a "What will this mean at the ballot box?" lens, but it still feels like it's 40-40-20 right now between Biden, Trump and those that could go either way. Maybe even 45-45-10.

i agree its not over till its over.

1 minute ago, charlierc said:

And even then, given how much effort it took to get Trump to go away in 2020/21, maybe not even then.

Pretty much a given that there will be more f**kery after the election regardless of the results, but especially if Biden wins, and I fear it’s gonna eclipse Jan 6 and everything that happened post-2020. Being President again is, in his eyes, his last chance of staying out of prison so god knows what he’ll attempt to ensure it happens.

Thank god he’s a f**king idiot and can’t help but to lay out his plans out in the open before he attempts them. 

• 4 weeks later...
10 hours ago, kalifire said:

This will eventually go to the SCOTUS but Trump's been kicked off the ballot in Colorado. This is a big development.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-67768873

It's a surprise.

Frankly it should've been enough to disqualify him from ever being allowed to stand again but clearly the Republican Party didn't have the guts given the data will have said that if he ran as a third party, the GOP would've seen its vote share tank.

2 hours ago, charlierc said:

It's a surprise.

Frankly it should've been enough to disqualify him from ever being allowed to stand again but clearly the Republican Party didn't have the guts given the data will have said that if he ran as a third party, the GOP would've seen its vote share tank.

The GOP made their bed and now they’re stuck carrying him until the end. I think anybody smart knows that he’s a dead end for them and is almost certainly gonna lose, but they’re all so scared of him and his fans that they’ll never openly denounce him.

The next eleven months are gonna be wild as the walls close in on Trump.

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/20/2023 at 1:10 PM, FloopFiller said:

The GOP made their bed and now they’re stuck carrying him until the end. I think anybody smart knows that he’s a dead end for them and is almost certainly gonna lose, but they’re all so scared of him and his fans that they’ll never openly denounce him.

The next eleven months are gonna be wild as the walls close in on Trump.

Well, I guess we're now in the year where we find out if this faith is about to pay off.

Though I'm guessing Colorado and Maine kicking Trump off the ballot in the week between Xmas and NY was an unexpected curveball, even if Michigan opted to not do that. I'd be surprised if the Supreme Court upholds this, but it is an interesting situation they've got themselves into with this all.

• 2 weeks later...

So the election year has begun with the Iowa caucus, and nearly half of Trump's republican base voted against him. Given the razor thin majorities Biden won in 2020, Trump is going to have to do a LOT better than that if he doesn't want to be soundly defeated in November (again).

Edited by kalifire

5 hours ago, kalifire said:

So the election year has begun with the Iowa caucus, and nearly half of Trump's republican base voted against him. Given the razor thin majorities Biden won in 2020, Trump is going to have to do a LOT better than that if he doesn't want to be soundly defeated in November (again).

Yes he won with just over half the vote, but that was the biggest margin ever for Iowa's Republican caucuses. I think over confidence that Biden will easily beat Trump is very foolish at this point. Biden is very unpopular, turn out for Democrats could be low. Trump has his base plus evangelists who think he is the chosen one to save them.

Everything is bad. Trump winning is obviously bad news for US democracy but also for the world (probably). Trump losing will be bad in that he will claim it was a fix like last time and his maga proud boys and co will kick off. Trump getting kicked out of the race because of one or more convictions is bad because again it will likely kick off. USA is kind of f**ked up.

1 hour ago, steviewevie said:

Everything is bad. Trump winning is obviously bad news for US democracy but also for the world (probably). Trump losing will be bad in that he will claim it was a fix like last time and his maga proud boys and co will kick off. Trump getting kicked out of the race because of one or more convictions is bad because again it will likely kick off. USA is kind of f**ked up.

This is why I think it needed a quicker resolution. Everyone could see on January 6 2021 that the Trump cause had gone feral, and so much of the cases going to trial this year were known in 2021/22 as something worth going to trial for, yet not enough has been done to stop him coming back even as the people who actually run the Republican Party wish he'd go away.

There's a real bizarre scenario in store either way. Even now you see a ridiculous amount of people think the 2020 election & Biden's win were because of fraud no matter how much evidence demonstrates that claim to be horseshit, and that really needed to nipped in the bud a lot sooner than now. It's why I also think any trials for Trump's attempts to deny the 2020 election had to be done a lot sooner than this year.