guypjfreak

10 hours ago, Stutty said:

What halls were you’re friends in?

I've asked the one friend (who was most likely to respond in a timely fashion) about this, but he is not one of those who were thrown out of halls, so cannot 100% confirm. However, he is pretty sure that the place was called Lupton Flats. The problem with that which I have, is that 'flats' doesn't sound like 'halls'. I can recall that there was a communal canteen, for dinners etc. 

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

I've asked the one friend (who was most likely to respond in a timely fashion) about this, but he is not one of those who were thrown out of halls, so cannot 100% confirm. However, he is pretty sure that the place was called Lupton Flats. The problem with that which I have, is that 'flats' doesn't sound like 'halls'. I can recall that there was a communal canteen, for dinners etc. 

I think Lupton flats has been demolished since then. I think they built the, new, Leeds Beckett University there. I remember wandering around to view a few accommodation options, for my third year. I didn’t go inside the complex of Lupton, but I reached the outside area and found it really dreary and depressing. It didn’t appeal to me at all. I’ve since read somewhere that one of the Yorkshire Rippers victims was murdered around there. She was actually a student in the hall. It didn’t seem like the sort of place you’d worry about being thrown out of.

13 hours ago, justanotheronethen said:

He headlined the Saturday night in 94. He was on a world tour and banned any footage or photos of his Glastonbury set being released, not heard of that before or since. I think I saw Tricky instead

I was there but fairly sure it was the Sunday night after Plant/Page.. missed manics/oasis/blur as my decision making faculties we’re totally F’d by this point. Too goosed to see J Cash earlier after Orbital on the Saturday night. Great festival but do regret missing those bands  

6 hours ago, Stutty said:

I think Lupton flats has been demolished since then. I think they built the, new, Leeds Beckett University there. I remember wandering around to view a few accommodation options, for my third year. I didn’t go inside the complex of Lupton, but I reached the outside area and found it really dreary and depressing. It didn’t appeal to me at all. I’ve since read somewhere that one of the Yorkshire Rippers victims was murdered around there. She was actually a student in the hall. It didn’t seem like the sort of place you’d worry about being thrown out of.

I don't think it was any better when my mates were there. The accommodation blocks were a bit grim. I used to go up to Leeds from Birmingham quite a lot though, as it was always fun. We never ever went out into the city once though. Everytime I went we would invariably end up drinking in Headingley. 

43 minutes ago, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

I don't think it was any better when my mates were there. The accommodation blocks were a bit grim. I used to go up to Leeds from Birmingham quite a lot though, as it was always fun. We never ever went out into the city once though. Everytime I went we would invariably end up drinking in Headingley. 

I lived in Headingley for a while, after I left University. It had amazing takeaways and fish and chip shops. I used to shop in the high street there, all the time. I used the ATM, Tesco’s, KFC.

One day I looked at the news, after I had left. And all of those shops, banks and services had been burnt down, in a race riot!! I haven’t been back since. So I don’t know if anything survived!!

3 hours ago, Stutty said:

I lived in Headingley for a while, after I left University. It had amazing takeaways and fish and chip shops. I used to shop in the high street there, all the time. I used the ATM, Tesco’s, KFC.

One day I looked at the news, after I had left. And all of those shops, banks and services had been burnt down, in a race riot!! I haven’t been back since. So I don’t know if anything survived!!

Wow - I never even heard of a race riot in Leeds, let alone large scale arson.

By the way, that lad got back to me about Lupton Flats, and said that he thinks the specific accommodation unit was called Bodington Hall.

12 hours ago, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

Wow - I never even heard of a race riot in Leeds, let alone large scale arson.

By the way, that lad got back to me about Lupton Flats, and said that he thinks the specific accommodation unit was called Bodington Hall.

Thanks for pestering your friend for me!! Bodington was miles away. I didn’t consider applying there because I was 23 when I started University. That meant I was two years away from being classed as a mature student. So I was too boring to go there. I wouldn’t have got drunk all the time, like you lot. I’d have just got bored and depressed. 

I think there are advantages to being far away from a campus nowadays though. I hear University campuses aren’t policed too well anymore and you can be badly attacked on them!

Edited by Stutty

I haven't given a cat update for a while, she's still happy hanging out with us, she eventually found out what the woodburner is good for, lying in front of. With cats being chipped becoming a legal  requirement soon, we're going to have to make contact with her owners to make sure she's had her jabs and to get her chipped and to get her fixed before she gets knocked up. She has a little fanclub of cat friends who come round for her every night so they can look at each other thru the window in the back door not sure if they're friendly with each other or not they don't seem to fight. 

I had extensive works carried out on our cabin at the rear of our garden in an attempt to prevent it from being flooded by the River Severn several times a year, when it bursts its banks. The first photo shows you what used to happen - the rear end would rise up off its foundations, causing structural strain on the whole cabin. Plus the inside of the cabin decorations etc would get ruined. Plus we'd have to move all the furniture etc out of the cabin before the flood hiot it - a right pain in the arse. You can see the water level halfway up the front doors in the first photo.

The second photo shows it as it is now - with the river having reached a very high figure above sea level. It's achieved having put a steel ring beam under the cabin as well as telescopic legs, and then jacking it up using compressed air jacks and a generator. 

Very pleased with the result.

IMG_1002.JPG

IMG_2043.JPG

• Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

I had extensive works carried out on our cabin at the rear of our garden in an attempt to prevent it from being flooded by the River Severn several times a year, when it bursts its banks. The first photo shows you what used to happen - the rear end would rise up off its foundations, causing structural strain on the whole cabin. Plus the inside of the cabin decorations etc would get ruined. Plus we'd have to move all the furniture etc out of the cabin before the flood hiot it - a right pain in the arse. You can see the water level halfway up the front doors in the first photo.

The second photo shows it as it is now - with the river having reached a very high figure above sea level. It's achieved having put a steel ring beam under the cabin as well as telescopic legs, and then jacking it up using compressed air jacks and a generator. 

Very pleased with the result.

IMG_1002.JPG

IMG_2043.JPG

So when it's dry how do you get to it?

1 hour ago, worthyraver said:

I use the compressor and air jacks in reverse. The whole thing lowers down in stages. What you see in the second photo is the cabin fully extended on 4 telescopic legs. These legs each have 4 vertical holes in them, which are pinned with metal bolts. When the river does recede I'll lower the legs down using the bolt holes as stages to lower it. Then when the legs are fully down it rests on  concrete block foundations.

What you can't see in the photo is that that there are submerged steps which lead up to the doors. The cabin was initially at ground level - hence the severe flooding. It now rests normally above ground level anyway, with the option of using the jacks to raise it up another 1 metre.

1 hour ago, Neil said:

Yeah, good result. A friend has a house on the Severn in Worcester which floods she had the inside redone and floors raised and still has trouble from the river. 

There's about 8 houses closer to the river than we are (as in they are completely adjacent to it. They get flooded every year. One of the owners even had some alterations done along with the remedial works. They had literally just finished the works (I know the builder involved) when it flooded again. The paint on the walls hadn't even dried out before in came the river again. They are blighted properties. Nobody in their right minds would buy them, so they can't sell them. They are stuck.

You can see these houses at 3.21 on this film

16 minutes ago, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

There's about 8 houses closer to the river than we are (as in they are completely adjacent to it. They get flooded every year. One of the owners even had some alterations done along with the remedial works. They had literally just finished the works (I know the builder involved) when it flooded again. The paint on the walls hadn't even dried out before in came the river again. They are blighted properties. Nobody in their right minds would buy them, so they can't sell them. They are stuck.

You can see these houses at 3.21 on this film

Not quite true for my friend's house, she bought it, knowing it floods. Couldn't resist the nice house on the river. 

17 hours ago, Yoghurt on a Stick said:
19 hours ago, worthyraver said:

I use the compressor and air jacks in reverse. The whole thing lowers down in stages. What you see in the second photo is the cabin fully extended on 4 telescopic legs. These legs each have 4 vertical holes in them, which are pinned with metal bolts. When the river does recede I'll lower the legs down using the bolt holes as stages to lower it. Then when the legs are fully down it rests on  concrete block foundations.

What you can't see in the photo is that that there are submerged steps which lead up to the doors. The cabin was initially at ground level - hence the severe flooding. It now rests normally above ground level anyway, with the option of using the jacks to raise it up another 1 metre.

Wow that is very impressive, my comment was sort of tongue in cheek little did I realise that you genuinely wouldn't be able to get into it with it jacked up.

Well done sir 🙂

• Upvote 1

Happy Burns Day

remember it’s the day to cock up your beaver and other innuendos 

for those not immersed in scottish literature this was one of his songs written in 1792 . A beaver is a fur hat, what else? At school this was always the go to page in the book of burns poems. 

Edited by Ayrshire Chris

17 minutes ago, Ayrshire Chris said:

Happy Burns Day

remember it’s the day to cock up your beaver and other innuendos 

for those not immersed in scottish literature this was one of his songs written in 1792 . A beaver is a fur hat, what else?

Happy Burns Day to you too.  Here's a wee local laugh for you....

A woman goes into a butcher in Scotland where the butcher is standing with his back to the fire.  The woman examines the meat and asks "Is that your Ayrshire bacon?"  "No!" he replies, "It's just my hands I'm warmin".

Have a great day!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, parsonjack said:

A woman goes into a butcher in Scotland where the butcher is standing with his back to the fire.  The woman examines the meat and asks "Is that your Ayrshire bacon?"  "No!" he replies, "It's just my hands I'm warmin".

My wife's a patriotic Scot. She burns supper every night!

A truly offal joke, I know.

• Upvote 1