Orbital

gooner1990

49 minutes ago, bombfrog said:

Looks like a tiny venue for them. I've been there once for a Secret Cinema event but it used much more of the space because it was over multiple rooms. If I remember rightly there's not much space in that bit.

It's a big room but it's very long and very thin so not the best for a gig when everyone wants to be nearer the front. I don'y know how many went in the end but the room did look quite busy but may be due to the long, thin shape.

The whole venue is massive though, they only used a small part of itwhen I went to see Jon Hopkins there. There is at least one other big room there that would be better for gigs (rather than DJs) IMO.

Edited by Johnnyseven

Looked like a very odd venue, look at the visual screen, very different. They had a little argument on stage during the encore 😬

If they split again then I do hope Paul can keep the Orbital name and just go on alone, his 8:58 stuff was class but he couldn't shift tickets under the new name, had nowhere near the same rig for live shows either.

• 4 weeks later...
On 3/16/2020 at 1:33 AM, WS_Jack_III said:

Looked like a very odd venue, look at the visual screen, very different. They had a little argument on stage during the encore 😬

If they split again then I do hope Paul can keep the Orbital name and just go on alone, his 8:58 stuff was class but he couldn't shift tickets under the new name, had nowhere near the same rig for live shows either.

I don't want to see half of Orbital pretending to be the real deal. 

8 hours ago, Homer said:

Orbital live set streaming now on Twitter from the studio (Paul only) until 4pm.

https://twitter.com/streamGM?fbclid=IwAR1ur44BAqG8b0JHSqamBwsl7AAe7PabDLwVdZmt6ZqC2Rp4CZjXXBw8H9U

I bloody missed it, hoping it gets reuploaded on the group.

3 hours ago, stuartbert two hats said:

I'm just saying if it happens and Paul tries to continue (as he did before as 8:58, where he did live sets with some Orbital tunes) I hope he can keep the name, so he can sell tickets and records, obviously I'd rather they keep going.

13 hours ago, stuartbert two hats said:

It worked pretty well yesterday! 

Think you'd be pretty interested to watch this back. Been speculation as to how much they do 'live', but he was happy for everyone to watch him 'in action'. I've no real clue but he seemed to be 'doing' quite a lot.

On 3/16/2020 at 1:33 AM, WS_Jack_III said:

The difference was, they were headlining an all-day bill in a nighclub, It wasn't their gig, they were just part of the bill.

2 minutes ago, Homer said:

It worked pretty well yesterday! 

Think you'd be pretty interested to watch this back. Been speculation as to how much they do 'live', but he was happy for everyone to watch him 'in action'. I've no real clue but he seemed to be 'doing' quite a lot.

It's more that if Paul got the name, then that could really put a damper on whenever the next reunion is. I've seen him do some Orbital tracks live as 8:58 and not only did they sound extraordinary, there was a large live element to it.

Orbital have always been on the more live side of electronic performances. You just have to listen to one of their live albums to realise that they're not just doing playbacks of the album tracks.

I've got no problem with Paul as a solo act, I just think the brothers are better together. Do you know where I can watch the stream back?

11 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

It's more that if Paul got the name, then that could really put a damper on whenever the next reunion is. I've seen him do some Orbital tracks live as 8:58 and not only did they sound extraordinary, there was a large live element to it.

Orbital have always been on the more live side of electronic performances. You just have to listen to one of their live albums to realise that they're not just doing playbacks of the album tracks.

I've got no problem with Paul as a solo act, I just think the brothers are better together. Do you know where I can watch the stream back?

Does Paul do a lot more of the heavy lifting in Orbital then you reckon? I read recently that the 'used to have long hair, always wore glasses' one from the Chems does way more out of those too.

Afraid not - I looked about an hour ago. Will post here if I find it!

1 hour ago, Homer said:

Does Paul do a lot more of the heavy lifting in Orbital then you reckon? I read recently that the 'used to have long hair, always wore glasses' one from the Chems does way more out of those too.

Afraid not - I looked about an hour ago. Will post here if I find it!

It's hard to tell. Unusually for a younger brother he does appear to be the more dominant personality and was more prolific during the splits.  But it's really hard to know who does what - there does seem to be a certain extra something to the music made by Orbital proper - I guess that something is called "Phil"!

But yeah, if I had to pick, it does seem that Paul is doing more of the heavy lifting on balance.

As far as I've worked out, Paul is the main creative force. Makes all the tracks. Phil is his sounding board, Paul bounces ideas off him. Phil gets quite annoyed when people bring this up though, I've seen some quite awkward interviews. 

In terms of the live show, it's live sequenced so Paul triggers off segments and fiddles with the synths settings and what not. Phil usually messes with the mix from what i can tell, whacking on delays and the likes. Someone correct me if wrong.

• 4 weeks later...
On 4/12/2020 at 10:23 AM, stuartbert two hats said:

736cf27f-e19c-48c6-b11e-64d4f434184a.thumb.jpg.d619b71a29b97e32fbd860383ced4989.jpg

• Upvote 1