Innes Christison

7 hours ago, Innes Christison said:

Hey man, thanks for replying, yeah to be honest there are some things that you have said that we really need to take into consideration such as just making something for the sake of making something, this is why we are doing some research now just to see if there is a market for this product, if we find out no one wants it we are not going to make it, that is unsustainable, however, from the research we have done into other ponchos, it seems we would be one of very few people selling a sustainable and reusable poncho. 95% of rain ponchos on the market now are made from plastic polyester and a lot of them are disposable. Our number one aim isn't to make profit at all, it's about giving people a sustainable alternative and hopefully reducing the amount of plastic waste at festivals. 

I think the reason why these disposable ponchos are so popular is just that, they are disposable. It rains , you wear it, the sun comes out and you can bin it. No carrying soggy kit. Also at the end of the festival it could be binned, so again no packing of wet gear. That and they are cheap as chips. You buy one or two and throw them in as a “ just in case”.

now I’m not suggesting this is the right thing to do for the environment but I think that is why they are popular. Maybe if you could come up with a disposable but environmentally good poncho, THAT might be more popular. 

Poncho , often too short at the back to have on over a rucksack as well , plus needs a pocket at the front large enough to rest a can of cider ?, needs to easily pack back inside its own pocket when the rain stops and not have a separate bag that I’m bound to lose. Loads of non disposables are too long for most ladies , or too short for a rucksack . 

41 minutes ago, deebeedoobee said:

I think the reason why these disposable ponchos are so popular is just that, they are disposable. It rains , you wear it, the sun comes out and you can bin it. No carrying soggy kit. Also at the end of the festival it could be binned, so again no packing of wet gear. That and they are cheap as chips. You buy one or two and throw them in as a “ just in case”.

now I’m not suggesting this is the right thing to do for the environment but I think that is why they are popular. Maybe if you could come up with a disposable but environmentally good poncho, THAT might be more popular. 

I think the larger advantage for non-sustainable plastic or vinyl ponchos is that they are significantly lighter and more compact. You can just have one in your trouser pocket or handbag in case of emergency. There's literally no way for a sustainable waterproof to be that convenient, because the added robustness inevitably means added weight.

Also, I would imagine that cleaning the fabric on a poncho like this would be a pain if it got muddy (from someone walking on it while you were using it as a blanket, for example).

Have a TrekMates poncho bought around 2011? Its probably polyester, but it's definitely a multi use job. It has survived multiple festivals up until Beautiful days 2017 when it started letting in water. I reproofed it and it seems to doing its job again. It packs down to the size of a  pair of  socks and doesn't weigh much when compared to everything else i'm carrying. In use it's big enough to go over me and my day sack. 

I'll keep it going as long as possible but when it dies I'll get the same again (unless there is a an more environmentally friendly alternative). Not a fan of the single use ones.

10 hours ago, Innes Christison said:

Hahahaha!! awesome man, yeah putting the blanket in is going to make it bigger and heavier, for portability we are thinking of being able to roll it up and then clip it around your waist like a belt? then you can just boogie without holding on to it or bringing a bag. Thoughts?

I guess it's all in the design. How small and light is it? If it has rained or you've had it on wet ground, when you roll it up, does the blanket bit stay dry? It needs something to differentiate it from what's already out there. As others have said, it needs pockets, needs to be big enough to cover a ruck sack, needs to be small, light and easy to pack away.

Good luck.

My spec for a waterproof:  pockets big enough that it will replace your day rucksack. Long enough to cover your arse. Able to tie around waist when not in use. Very thin lining enough to make it non sweaty when raining. Oh, and properly waterproof, one shake post downpour and it's pretty dry. 

I go to drownload and only a proper coat will do.