Volunteering 2020

DJL

Just now, Havors said:

Out of interest does anyone with Oxfam experience know if they allow late arrival volunteers? My brother wants to volunteer but may not be able to turn up until wed morning 

Not sure, there are briefing sessions tuesday that seem to be compulsory..

1 minute ago, Havors said:

Out of interest does anyone with Oxfam experience know if they allow late arrival volunteers? My brother wants to volunteer but may not be able to turn up until wed morning 

For Glastonbury, almost certainly not - they have enough people to fill the slots (fnarr) several times over, and so don't need to be flexible.  The busiest shift is Wed 0600 start and you have to have been registered, briefed etc before you can start.

Just now, Pipine said:

Not sure, there are briefing sessions tuesday that seem to be compulsory..

Yeah that was my thinking... but I have heard Oxfam are very nice and accommodate where they can. Ill be there monday crack of dawn if I get a spot.... or earlier if they let me do the early shifts haha 

4 minutes ago, Havors said:

They do at some festivals, usually the ones they're struggling to fully recruit for, but I think it's very unlikely at Glastonbury (and would be a guaranteed way of getting yourself onto one of the less popular shift patterns).

7 minutes ago, Havors said:

I would say that is highly they would allow that as demand is so high 

Just a quick point whilst we have some down time ..... there are several new posters on this thread today ... please stick around the site for some valuable information ... not just about volunteering but anything to do with the festival too ... added to the mix with some bouts of humour .... please introduce yourselves on the pinned post at the top of the page and join the fun :) 

Edited by crazyfool1
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 2

10 hours ago, MrZigster said:

@StoneCircle if there is anything I can do to help you please let me know.

I will forever be in your debt for pointing me towards that volunteering in in '11, which has, to date, now got me in four times.

Just give me instructions via our old DM thread here and I'll do my best (never encountered the Oxfam application process/website before, so a step by step idiot guide may be necessary).

Likewise@crazyfool1 . I'd like to be able to assist you as I think you deserve it as you make such an effort. As stated previously, I feel that other people get given freebie ins with way less effort on their costumes than you do.

You can trust me with card details (but then, if I was a criminal, I would say that wouldn't I. You'll have to make that call).

Best of luck to everyone.

Thank you Mr Z, you have a message! :D

1 minute ago, StoneCircle said:

Just give me instructions via our old DM thread here and I'll do my best (never encountered the Oxfam application process/website before, so a step by step idiot guide may be necessary).

Log in, select festival from dropdown, select role (Stewarding, in this case), hit apply, pay money.  

DISCLAIMER:  THIS IS BASED ON LAST YEAR, NO GUARANTEE THAT THE WEBSITE WILL BEHAVE THE SAME THIS YEAR, PLEASE, PLEASE, DON'T MAKE ANY DECISIONS BASED ON THE BELOW.  I really don't want to be responsible for anyone missing out 😕

Based on last year, there's a chance that the website may show any one of a number of errors at any stage of this, though it handled priority pretty well.  Again, based on last year, you will know if you've got a place if you get any of the following, you don't need them all:

• A "success" screen
  • An email confirming your place
  • On logging back in, Glastonbury no longer being on the drop down - if you've got a place, it disappears from the list;  if it's sold out, it will be visible but greyed out.
  • Money gone from your account (it may be in "pending transactions"

That's all there is to it today, the rest (adding your personal details, reference etc), comes later.

Good luck!

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, jfaragher said:

Log in, select festival from dropdown, select role (Stewarding, in this case), hit apply, pay money.  

DISCLAIMER:  THIS IS BASED ON LAST YEAR, NO GUARANTEE THAT THE WEBSITE WILL BEHAVE THE SAME THIS YEAR, PLEASE, PLEASE, DON'T MAKE ANY DECISIONS BASED ON THE BELOW.  I really don't want to be responsible for anyone missing out 😕

Based on last year, there's a chance that the website may show any one of a number of errors at any stage of this, though it handled priority pretty well.  Again, based on last year, you will know if you've got a place if you get any of the following, you don't need them all:

• A "success" screen
  • On logging back in, Glastonbury no longer being on the drop down - if you've got a place, it disappears from the list;  if it's sold out, it will be visible but greyed out.

That's all there is to it today, the rest (adding your personal details, reference etc), comes later.

Good luck!

Thanks for this!

1 minute ago, jfaragher said:

• A "success" screen

Good luck!

All excellent advice, but just to add to that - if the website is taking ages - even literal minutes (it did last year, but didn't this year in priority) - it's far better to wait for it to finish rather than stopping and trying again.

• Like 2